List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

ohhhh mid season trading - Shiel can be got in June

Happy Season 5 GIF by Friends
He's falling apart, by mid season next year he will be sharing a room with DMac at Healing Hans sanitorium in Germany.

Last edited:
Yes. Still makes little sense.

Surely our cap isn’t that stretched that we are going to pay a player to play for another club while getting nothing for him.

If that is the case I hope Essendon will be paying a fair chunk of Shiels wage also.

No one really wants him, hence we're selling.
This is different to Shiel as despite his wants Dodo and the gang are a hard no we won't go, so they aren't selling.
This is also why we said "GTFO" when Coff requested a trade, as happy to sell.

Question on the Shiel thing is are we buying, and answer is probably not.

And oof Hawks getting Ginni, midget crew assemble!

I have no drama's with trading Billings.

The thing I don't get is if we're trading Billings for lets say pick 45 or so why the eff are we paying part of his salary.

It's like sending your wife on a date with another guy and then helping cover the bill. We're already getting ****ed why are we helping to contribute to it.

Am I missing anything?

With Gresham, Billings and Peris now out. Who is our backup small forward depth?
Or will guys like Byrnes play a bit of that High half forward role?

Plenty of small, fast, hardworking pressure types running around the state comps.

I couldn’t care less if his nieces friend is Lethlean secretary’s cousin. You can know someone at the club and still be a complete flog.

Would rather hear from a flamingo having a laugh than some attention seeking loser who claps in peoples faces when a player they like gets binned.
It’s the opinions, conversations and laughs that make bigfooty any inside information can be read a week later in the paper anyway.

I suspect we are probably paying part of Billings salary in 2024 but minimal or zero in 2025 to give us more cap space for next year's trade period. Billings is owed c. $1.1m over the next 2 years - if we contribute $300k in 2024 but nothing in 2025 then it effectively gives us $550k of cap space in 2025 that we would not have otherwise had. That's worth a lot if we have a significant trade target in mind for 2024 (e.g. Zac Butters).

G'day Saints

Not here to stir but wanting to know your honest opinion on Billings? What has he got going for him and what has he got issues with?

Frm a Dess fan

He's vanilla but still has class and skills. If you can get him fit he could be a great get. He was around 25 when he started to break down and that's usually when players hit peak consistency.

I have no drama's with trading Billings.

The thing I don't get is if we're trading Billings for lets say pick 45 or so why the eff are we paying part of his salary.

It's like sending your wife on a date with another guy and then helping cover the bill. We're already getting ****ed why are we helping to contribute to it.

Am I missing anything?
Yes, the thing you’re missing is Billings has been overpaid for years. In an analogy of a house sale, the price is inflated, needs to reduce the price (us paying some of his wages) to make it worthwhile for the buyer (Melbourne). It benefits us as otherwise he will be paid 500k to play at Sandringham for 2024 and 2025, not a good look and complete waste of resource, rather than get in a young player with potential to play at Sandy for the next 2 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

G'day Saints

Not here to stir but wanting to know your honest opinion on Billings? What has he got going for him and what has he got issues with?

Frm a Dess fan
Good player. I liked him always thought he was a good consistent player. Inconsistent when it came to what people expected of him (superstar 4 goal a game mid forward) but if you expect a 20-25 touch a game player with neat enough kicking he’s your man. Will play on the wing and half forward. He’ll kick you goals if he gets the ball in a bit of space but he won’t snap them like kozzie.

The club are making the call to no longer keep average players on big salaries. Particularly Gresham and Billings had been previously well paid and both have shown to be average footballers at best. I read that Coffield also had been on a good salary, but can understand he now wants more stability than a 1 year deal. All three have had injury riddled careers so I fully support SOS and the clubs decision to move them on. I dont care if they have outstanding careers at their new clubs - it wasnt going to happen at Moorabbin. You cant improve on "what ifs....."

People expecting huge trade deals is simply unrealistic and almost hypercritical, when werent prepared to pay anymore than what we did for Henry and Dow.

The club needed to draw a line in the sand as far as player output vs salary are concerned, further examples of that is the 4 players that were signed on one year deals. We are saying perform or we will move you on.

That bread looks elite. Had a great one the other day in spotswood. Pork crackling in there? Wish they had these at the footy
You betcha there is. They make some rippers. Mornin' Vietnam across from Carlton FC.

That bread looks elite. Had a great one the other day in spotswood. Pork crackling in there? Wish they had these at the footy

The footy food is so bad. If that was at Marvel it would be some sparse rubbery meat and three strands of limp lettuce on a three day old hotdog bun and cost you $17.

The footy food is so bad. If that was at Marvel it would be some sparse rubbery meat and three strands of limp lettuce on a three day old hotdog bun and cost you $17.

I go with my 5 year old. Pick up some sushi hand rolls and drinks prior to the match and smash them at half time. Food at the footy is a joke.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Back