Strategy Back of House Discussion: Targets, Changes, Appointments & Facilities

Remove this Banner Ad

First time we've seen Harry Taylor in the colours? They certainly suit him.

Good to see him out at training. A lot of knowledge to share with our guys.

Hopefully his advice to Harley is that Geelong facilities, fans etc. are no where near as good as the Eagles.

View attachment 2003672

You do know that’s Liam Ryan…

Sounds like Kinnear Beatson has stepped back from his role (not clear into what other role if any) at Sydney, I hope the Don has at least sounded him out about an eastern seaboard role if he’s looking for a new challenge.

Sounds like Kinnear Beatson has stepped back from his role (not clear into what other role if any) at Sydney, I hope the Don has at least sounded him out about an eastern seaboard role if he’s looking for a new challenge.
From their site I got "General Manager of List Strategy and Recruitment." So I guess he's one of the head honchos behind their list management

From their site I got "General Manager of List Strategy and Recruitment." So I guess he's one of the head honchos behind their list management
Sounds like it’s only a recent change, may not have been updated. He’s a very good operator, talent IDer and is well respected in the industry. Would be a wonderful addition if at all plausible.

We were chasing one of Sydney’s analytics guys, Chris Keane, when searching for our new list manager earlier this year

He decided to stay in Sydney, and may not have even interviewed with us, and around the same time he was promoted within their recruiting/list management department with Beatson said to be taking a step back but remaining as a mentor to the likes of Keane

Maybe something has changed but it sounded like he was scaling back his involvement whilst remaining with the club

We were chasing one of Sydney’s analytics guys, Chris Keane, when searching for our new list manager earlier this year

He decided to stay in Sydney, and may not have even interviewed with us, and around the same time he was promoted within their recruiting/list management department with Beatson said to be taking a step back but remaining as a mentor to the likes of Keane

Maybe something has changed but it sounded like he was scaling back his involvement whilst remaining with the club
Chris Keane has moved into Kinnear’s role so obviously highly rated by both us and Swans. Just unsure of where Kinnear’s role now sits. Could be Dodoro/Rosa or Wells/Mackie situation. In any event Pyke will be all over Beatson and Cox.

Chris Keane has moved into Kinnear’s role so obviously highly rated by both us and Swans. Just unsure of where Kinnear’s role now sits. Could be Dodoro/Rosa or Wells/Mackie situation. In any event Pyke will be all over Beatson and Cox.

Beatson Cox is some sort of combo

From what I remember reading it’s more Wells/Mackie than Dodoro/Rosa in that Wells is hanging around whilst Dodoro isn’t long term

Kinnear is now moving towards retirement, or his version of it at least. As per Swans process he is now handing over to Keane and will act as mentor etc for the next few drafts via succession planning.

Kinnear is now moving towards retirement, or his version of it at least. As per Swans process he is now handing over to Keane and will act as mentor etc for the next few drafts via succession planning.
Good club, good processes wouldn’t expect any different. Would still love to see if he had any interest in any capacity after his time with the Swans is done. What’s the mail on Horse extending for another two years?

I'd respect Sydney if they got rid of the academy bullshit and built a list on their own. Take out the academy boys from their current team and they're probably in the big pack fighting for spots 3-10 on the ladder. As it stands, the fact they haven't won a flag since 2012 is kind of embarrassing.

I'd respect Sydney if they got rid of the academy bullshit and built a list on their own. Take out the academy boys from their current team and they're probably in the big pack fighting for spots 3-10 on the ladder. As it stands, the fact they haven't won a flag since 2012 is kind of embarrassing.

Compromised recruitment access through their academy. ✅

Significant home ground advantage due to it's ridiculously unique shape. ✅

The best location for travelling every second week when you're only going either an hour north/south the majority of the time. ✅

I'd fall off my chair if they didn't have some special CoLA under the table that the AFL have agreed to as well.

Sure they have a great culture, but let's not pretend that they've built what they've got without significant leg-ups from being the league's pet in a "non-football state" and still struggle to be a profitable club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Compromised recruitment access through their academy.

Significant home ground advantage due to it's ridiculously unique shape.

The best location for travelling every second week when you're only going either an hour north/south the majority of the time.

I'd fall off my chair if they didn't have some special CoLA under the table that the AFL have agreed to as well.

Sure they have a great culture, but let's not pretend that they've built what they've got without significant leg-ups from being the league's pet in a "non-football state" and still struggle to be a profitable club.

Shape of the ground doesn’t bother me. It happens in footy all around it’s great.

If anything I’m a bit annoyed Optus isn’t shaped like the local grounds you see in Perth, but oh well

Shape of the ground doesn’t bother me. It happens in footy all around it’s great.

If anything I’m a bit annoyed Optus isn’t shaped like the local grounds you see in Perth, but oh well

Whether you're one to like it or not it's a significant advantage - much like Subi used to be for us and Kardinya Park is for the Cats due to their unique shapes.

Personally I'm not a fan of different shaped/sized grounds in a professional competition, they should be a regulation shape/size. I get the romantic idea of the quirkiness of it but I still think it makes it look amateur hour.

We need a new development program.

What's it going to take to get a Choko Williams or Joel Selwood type?

We need a household name heading up our development. Someone with kudos the kids know of and watched before they were drafted. We will be the youngest list by this time next year.

Trewhella, Morrison, Brennan aren't cutting it.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Time to admit Shuey jumping straight into assistant coaching was not a good idea?

Getting flogged in clearances despite winning HOs and mids constantly failing to get their hands on the ball
Jobs for the boys!!! The west coast way

Jobs for the boys!!! The west coast way
Might not survive the simmo departure. I recon the whole coaching group is on the chopping block. The fish rots from the head, but the rest of the fish has given the players food poisoning.

I hope people are ready for the upheaval that's about occur. I can see the head coach sacking and then the resignations down the coaching lines.

It will present an amazing opportunity to get a bunch of new voices in.

All the talk of the 3 ex Eagles assistant coaches.....if one was to land the role, would another be willing to come for the ride as senior assistant.

Do we throw the kitchen sink at Chris scott. I can tell you from what I know behind those four walls, any mummy's boys (players or staff!) won't survive.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

He was getting praise earlier in the year when the boys were having a crack. They've all since dropped their bundle.
Simmo getting an extension was legitimately floated when the boys were having a crack. It’s possible we went a little early on the praise based on a couple of games

Wouldn't mind throwing a pipe wrench at Chris Scott, am I right?!

But really he's a good coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Back of House Discussion: Targets, Changes, Appointments & Facilities

Remove this Banner Ad

Back