List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t think the pick 13 stalemate will go on. Port, Pies, GCS will get a deal done, something like

GCS OUT: 13, Lukosius
GCS IN: Noble, F1 (COLL), F1 (PORT)

PORT OUT: Houston, F1
PORT IN: 13, Lukosius, Richards

COLL OUT: F1, Noble, Richards
COLL IN: Houston

I would love a pick 6 stalemate where tigers refuse to straight swap Rioli. Would go in with F1 for 6 and 23. Would love to include Liam Ryan and they can keep 23 but have their F1 coming back.
Fair point re 13. We could also do 3, 26 + 67 for 6, 23 + 41 if we wanted to hold our F1.

Fair point re 13. We could also do 3, 26 + 67 for 6, 23 + 41 if we wanted to hold our F1.
Yep definitely would be an option but I think GCS would probably want to trade into next year’s pointy end with their NGA kids and bidding changes. If FOS and Jagga are likely gone at 3 I’d probably prefer your option than giving up the F1.

Difference is Parker just kicked three goals in a Grand Final and is actually part of Sydney’s plans. Jack is fourth in line, trending to be fifth, for his own position and has no prospect of a contract extension from us.

You don’t need to have a win for the sake of having a win when we’re talking 61 vs 67.

3 goals whilst Brisbane were celebrating a Premiership in junk time.

Problem is Gold Coast don’t play on the same field as the rest of the league.

Everyone gets a turn on the GC draft lottery, as the system has been set up for them to really never want or need high end picks. Quantity over quality and every other club gets to pick at them on a year by year basis.

We had our turn, it was fun, but really it’s a blight on the league.
And they need to get ahead of a bid for Lombard so they get rioli and Lombard then it's a win for them.

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

We finally have an A grader who wants out. Trading away whatever we get for him to another team for one of their OOC players makes no sense especially when we are rebuilding. Get as much as we can for Barrass and pay as little as possible for Baker. Keep pick 3 (or split it into 2 top 10 picks) and hold on to the Barrass pick/s. JTB in the PSD and win the trade week.
Isn't baker a free agent next year? He can stay 1 more year and we can use pick 14 at the draft. The whole scenario is ridiculous and reeks of richmond.

Isn't baker a free agent next year? He can stay 1 more year and we can use pick 14 at the draft. The whole scenario is ridiculous and reeks of richmond.
I'm hoping we offer our F2 and leave it at that. Baker is unncontracted and it's not like he's going to sign a 1-year contract to justify us giving Richmond a current year pick (26). If he does, we pick him up for free next year and Richmond probably winds up with only a slightly better pick anyway via free agency compensation.

This talking point has cropped up a bit in this thread, and it’s absolutely farcical.

Imagine Barrass was in the same scenario - uncontracted but not yet a free agent. Nobody in here would accept for one second him signing up on a one year rental, so he can leave as a FA next year.

But the compo might be good, isn’t that worth something? Well no, not against the backdrop of unsettling the whole squad.

So we have Barrass for a year, and he plays over HEdwards. Why are we wasting minutes on this bloke instead of prepping the future, when we know he’s gone in a year? We’re not in win now.

Barrass doesn’t play at all? Oh so we’ve got some guy just getting paid to train and what does that do for standards across the group?

The one year top up contract to rent a bloke before he leaves as a FA is a fantasy, it’s just not how any credible sporting organisation would run.

If the shoe was on the other foot we’d want the deal done now and move on with our pick, get the player where he needs to go, one year is a hell of a long time in footy as plenty can change so we’d want it sorted now.

He’s not signing a one year top up so we can get him for cash only and send Richmond a compo pick.

Imagine the Vic media carry on if we walk Baker to the PSD. Actually I reckon it’ll be huge even if we get him without parting a first rounder

It s not going to happen A5.

Mathew Clarke is dead set on acquiring Baker and let's just say that if what I have heard is happening, this board is going to spew with how this deal goes down.

Clarke must still be on a retainer from Richmond, because if my mail is correct, he may as well be doing Richmonds bidding for them.

Sadly it would appear that Clarke is auditioning for the remake of Draft Day except his sticky reads:

Liam Baker No Matter What

1651358807121.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This talking point has cropped up a bit in this thread, and it’s absolutely farcical.

Imagine Barrass was in the same scenario - uncontracted but not yet a free agent. Nobody in here would accept for one second him signing up on a one year rental, so he can leave as a FA next year.

But the compo might be good, isn’t that worth something? Well no, not against the backdrop of unsettling the whole squad.

So we have Barrass for a year, and he plays over HEdwards. Why are we wasting minutes on this bloke instead of prepping the future, when we know he’s gone in a year? We’re not in win now.

Barrass doesn’t play at all? Oh so we’ve got some guy just getting paid to train and what does that do for standards across the group?

The one year top up contract to rent a bloke before he leaves as a FA is a fantasy, it’s just not how any credible sporting organisation would run.

If the shoe was on the other foot we’d want the deal done now and move on with our pick, get the player where he needs to go, one year is a hell of a long time in footy as plenty can change so we’d want it sorted now.

He’s not signing a one year top up so we can get him for cash only and send Richmond a compo pick.
In that case Richmond aren't going to take him in the PSD so let's send him there

Mathew Clarke is dead set on acquiring Baker and let's just say that if what I have heard is happening, this board is going to spew with how this deal goes down.

Clarke must still be on a retainer from Richmond, because if my mail is correct, he may as well be doing Richmonds bidding for them.

Sadly it would appear that Clarke is auditioning for the remake of Draft Day except his sticky reads:

View attachment 2136730

Share what you’ve heard, I’m in the mood to melt and stare at my ceiling with tears in my eyes.

View attachment 2136730
Yep thats the feeling I’m getting.

I’m getting a feeling this trade will be end up far worse off than the TK trade but will get far less criticism later down the line than the TK deal.

View attachment 2136730
How is it that no one involved in our recruiting department has any concept of negotiations and leverage? Not sure if we've ever been shown any of this supposed goodwill back that we so love to give out every trade period.

It should be as simple as we are rebuilding, we aren't giving up any top 20 picks and he is uncontracted and if they dont like that then he can go through the PSD.

I’m getting a feeling this trade will be end up far worse off than the TK trade but will get far less criticism later down the line than the TK deal.

It wont be anywhere near as bad as the Kelly Trade, but it will leave you somewhat flat and shaking your head.
If what I am hearing is true.

peeing ralph wiggum GIF

In that case Richmond aren't going to take him in the PSD so let's send him there
I feel like they’d pretty gladly pick him up again over losing him for nothing. The annual ‘march him to the PSD’ chat that takes place on every single board is great in isolation but just doesn’t happen.

I think pick 13 (14) is too high, but what’s more insane are the BigFooty trade machinations that are detached from reality. They also seem to forget that the players are human beings with lives and families, and that the same set of teams will have to deal with eachother again in future.

View attachment 2136730
Let’s just say you should say what you’ve apparently heard, and stop being so ****ing dramatic. It is what it is!

Let’s just say you should say what you’ve apparently heard, and stop being so ****ing dramatic. It is what it is!

Sure, no worries, I wont bother posting what I hear, spare your good self from the dramatics.
Done. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back