List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the intruding guys but Carlton won’t get pick 3. We’ve got so much draft capital we’ll get you guys a better deal.

I’d personally give 10+11 (If we get for Bolton from Freo) for 3. If that’s not enough some junk pick later is fine with me.

Not sure what your thoughts are on that?
Don’t want to slide further than 6. Maybe to the Saints picks. Jay Clark deal is lightyears off.

Sorry for the intruding guys but Carlton won’t get pick 3. We’ve got so much draft capital we’ll get you guys a better deal.

I’d personally give 10+11 (If we get for Bolton from Freo) for 3. If that’s not enough some junk pick later is fine with me.

Not sure what your thoughts are on that?
Categoric no.

6 and 10 for 3 and you can keep Baker is about as close as I would come to agreeing but you haven’t got either of those picks yet.

Did you miss the entire week? Clarke is on record saying we think he’s worth an early teens pick…but to late for that
Mate, most level headed folks on here suggested to not read into anything Clarke said in that interview earlier in the week, as in he was never going to give out the clubs actual inner thoughts publicly.

It's looking more and more that WC do not valve Baker at 14.

Interestingly, I floated Barrass for 8 on the Saints board and the reaction was overwhelmingly negative.
There is no world where we are giving up either pick for Tom Barrass. A player older than Battle and we don’t see ourselves in contention.

By the same token we won’t be trading both 7+8 to move up to 3.

Not in this draft. The top end talent isn’t significantly better to warrant doing so. We will be able to land some really good players at those picks. As good as what’s probably at 3.

I’m not being arrogant here. But trying to provide some realistic opposition view to the multiple posts I’ve seen about sending Barrass to us or packing both picks to go up. It just won’t Happen.

We are keen on grabbing Essendons pick 9. We want more talent. Not Less.

There is no world where we are giving up either pick for Tom Barrass. A player older than Battle and we don’t see ourselves in contention.

Not in this draft. The top end talent isn’t significantly better to warrant doing so. We will be able to land some really good players at those picks. As good as what’s probably at 3.

I’m not being arrogant here. But trying to provide some realistic opposition view to the multiple posts I’ve seen about sending Barrass to us or packing both picks to go up. It just won’t Happen.

Agree with you, I'd love to get 7&8 off you somehow but there's no incentive for you. You're just as likely to get as good a players at those picks as pick 3 in this draft.
And Barrass has the most value to a team in their premiership window for the next few years, no offense but that's not you (or us anytime soon)

So, (theoretically), we could've traded Barrass for 14 from Hawks. Leaving us with 3 & 14. We could've then traded 14 for Baker. So in the end 3 & Baker. We said no.

Instead, the media thinks we could trade 3 for 12 & 14 with Carlton, then use 14 for Baker. Leaving us with 12 and Baker (But still Barrass).

On what planet do the media (and possibly the Victorian clubs too) think we would deliberately weaken our list and/or our draft hand to accommodate moves for their clubs? Do they honestly believe that everyone outside of their little Victorian bubble is so dull and naive that they'd make these poor decisions that are so clearly weighted in the Vic clubs favour, or is it purely a ratings thing?

A fair trade should leave both sides of the negotiations feeling a bit unsatisfied, not one making off like bandits whilst the other walks home with drool on their chin and a fist full of magic beans. I can only assume that the average Vic punter that gobbles up their footy media is thick as pig shit for listening to these guys.

Yeah us saying we could prise 7 & 8 from you is like saying Carlton can get 3 from us for 12 & 14. Just fanciful stuff really.

So after a quick scroll over on the Facebook this morning (and bleaching my eyes afterwards), there is this weird vibe that WC have cooked this and we are left with nothing (thanks Ralph, Morris et al.).

Apparently we have lost pick 14, which we never had to start with, so no loss
And we lost Baker, a dime and dozen player, a guy who only made his decision to choose WC after we appointed his ex coach (a guy WC probably haven't been frothing over and wooing during the season al la Hawks and Barrass).
And we still, currently, have a AA key back still on the books.

We are exactly where we have always been. I just can't work this line of thinking out.
As it stands, the only one who has lost is Baker. He's burnt his bridge with Richmond, WC have shown they don't rate him as highly as he rates himself and he may end up at his non prefered club (doubtful).

Agree with you, I'd love to get 7&8 off you somehow but there's no incentive for you. You're just as likely to get as good a players at those picks as pick 3 in this draft.
I feel for you guys as a supporter base. Most years #3 would get you a kings ransom. But inside this top 10 - clubs won’t package those picks to go further.

Maybe it’s worthwhile to try get 6+10 for 3? ( Is that possible?) and it seems you’ll get F1s for Barrass, so use one for Baker?

I'm glad we've held our ground on both trades, Barrass has 3 years left on his contract. It's not like a McCarthy situation where he can just sit out a year, if he wants to play in Victoria he needs to find a team willing to trade something decent for him.
And I really hope Baker just ends up down the road at the purple campaigners

I feel for you guys as a supporter base. Most years #3 would get you a kings ransom. But inside this top 10 - clubs won’t package those picks to go further.

Maybe it’s worthwhile to try get 6+10 for 3? ( Is that possible?) and it seems you’ll get F1s for Barrass, so use one for Baker?
Baker is persona non grata/excommunicado for 90% of this board.

Like Saints paying pick 8 for a 29yo KPD is ridiculous, us paying any kind of 1R currency for a soon 27yo role player who is one year away from free agency is absurd. I wouldn’t even trade pick 26 for him. Not even close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, most level headed folks on here suggested to not read into anything Clarke said in that interview earlier in the week, as in he was never going to give out the clubs actual inner thoughts publicly.

It's looking more and more that WC do not valve Baker at 14.
That’s a really weird way of negotiating then, stating a player is worth “more” than what the club actually thinks

Most on here have lambasted Clarke for talking the way he did,
Not to not read in to it

And your last sentence makes no sentence. If we had got pick 14 of the Hawks for TB, I have no doubt we would have sent it on to Richmond for Baker

I'd do that trade, not sure Richmond would (if they do end up with those picks). The bullshit part is our second rounder getting pushed back so far last this and this year, makes it very hard to rebuild properly when you only have one decent pick to do anything with.
I'm really not keen on Baker for anything more than our second rounder either this year or next. I think it's similar to Barrass for you, he's the kind of guy you look to bring in when you're in contention, not when you're trying to rebuild from the bottom of the ladder.

Baker is persona non grata/excommunicado for 90% of this board.

Like Saints paying pick 8 for a 29yo KPD is ridiculous, us paying any kind of 1R currency for a soon 27yo role player who is one year away from free agency is absurd. I wouldn’t even trade pick 26 for him. Not even close.

I'd do that trade, not sure Richmond would (if they do end up with those picks). The bullshit part is our second rounder getting pushed back so far last this and this year, makes it very hard to rebuild properly when you only have one decent pick to do anything with.
I'm really not keen on Baker for anything more than our second rounder either this year or next. I think it's similar to Barrass for you, he's the kind of guy you look to bring in when you're in contention, not when you're trying to rebuild from the bottom of the ladder.
Well hold on.

I’m saying you use that F1 from Barrass on Baker. Which would be a teens pick maybe early 20s next year with how compromised that draft is looking.

You push for 6+10 for 3 and maybe a F2?

You get a gun at 6 and Allan at 10

Getting mixed messages here

Tom flog Morris says were loading up on picks for next year. Which contradicts earlier reports we wanted more picks/selection in this year's draft.

This year's draft is the even one everyone is frothing over and think you can find a gun at pick 30.

So why are we apparently now preferring next year's compromised piece of shit draft to this one?

Personally I want nothing to do with any Future picks for 2025. I'd even be up for trading our future picks. Get in this draft and hit it hard, make the most of the talent whilst it's there.
The Vic centric media could be seeing a strong wa contingent in the draft next year and coming to the same conclusion they always do. That we'll only draft west Aussies
Or that were loading up for the chad
Personally I want to load up this year but we'll have to wait and see

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well hold on.

I’m saying you use that F1 from Barrass on Baker. Which would be a teens pick maybe early 20s next year with how compromised that draft is looking.

Yeah....I just don't really want Baker.
But I like 6 & 10 for 3.
Think we can do better than Bo Allan at 10 as well

GCS Can’t have Rioli and F1s. Call Richmond’s bluff and be set for 1R NGAs next year in one trade:

WCE OUT: Barrass, F2
WCE IN: 6, 33

HAW OUT: F1 (CARL), F1 (HAW), 33
HAW IN: Barrass, F2 (WCE), 41

GCS OUT: 6, 41
GCS IN: F1 (CARL), F1 (HAW)

We take 3,6,26,33,62,67 to the draft with a 2025 hand of F1,F3,F4.

That’s a really weird way of negotiating then, stating a player is worth “more” than what the club actually thinks

Most on here have lambasted Clarke for talking the way he did,
Not to not read in to it

And your last sentence makes no sentence. If we had got pick 14 of the Hawks for TB, I have no doubt we would have sent it on to Richmond for Baker
He not negotiating with the media/public. He could say whatever he wanted in a press conference, it means nothing to the actual behind closed doors negotiations.

If the club was happy for a straight Barrass -> Baker swap via Hawks P14, it most likely would have been already done and dusted.

As it is either (and we don't really know what the clubs true position is, regardless of all the interviews staff give) we do not value Baker at 14 or we valve a contracted TB higher than 14.

Anyway just my opinion

Well hold on.

Yep and I’m saying we don’t want Baker for a F1. I don’t even want him for a F2.

Allan at 10 no thanks. Travaglia at 6 and Lindsay at 10.

The other weird take from the Vic media (and Duffield who’s been surprisingly bad in his assessment of the potential WCE trades this year) is that Fremantle can now get Baker and Bolton for the bargain basement cost of 10,11 and 18

I don’t know if they’ve been watching Fremantle in recent trade periods but I’d be stunned if they were willing to hand over those 3 picks without something going back

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back