List Mgmt. “It’s a form of tanking” the Richmond rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing is that Ashcroft may be the new no.1 but he wasn't for much of the year. He was thereabouts but Smile, Smith, FOS, Lalor have all be no.1 at some stage of the season. He might have edged ahead at the end but there is not much in it, it is not unanimous, so there is hardly any point going on about Richmond missing the best player in the draft.

Besides, Richmond might not necessarily have picking Ashcroft because he is a bit similar to what we already have and we might be after something a bit different. Lalor, FOS perhaps.
Rubbish.

LAschroft has been #1 for most of the last two years, and the only 'analysts' who are saying otherwise are those which are taking into consideration the father/son situation.

Tell us all who Richmond already have who us 'similar' to the best 18yo in the country?

I recalled the narrative differently but if that’s what you recall and read then sure. Not going to argue. I recall a lot calling him a generational talent and statistically the best underage player to ever go thru the underage system. It was real gleaming stuff. It has been pretty obvious since he walked in the door those pundits were accurate.

Right now I would comfortably put money on Levi Ashcroft for the rising star. His performance in the VFL for Brisbane was incredible. 35 touches and 2 goals in BOG showing. None of the other VFL try outs have come close to it

Levi could be even better than Will which would put him into GOAT contention. Already has the most successful junior career ever.

It’s trolling to say Richmond was genuinely shit in 2024 and your best players wanted out?? More just a fact really.
Well it's not fact. What is a fact is your obvious bitter rage and fear and loathing of Richmond.
You're a little bit pathetic if you want to know the truth. I feel sorry for you

It’s hard to beat a side that makes finals 6 times across 35 years in the AFL era.
That was my point, you intellectually challenged thing. Your team can't beat Richmond in finals, you're lucky we've only had one dynasty this century and you're obviously utterly terrified any prospect of the next.

I agree with you that it's a good thing that Geelong's been such an extraordinarily well run club and so competitive in the AFL era, because we all know that their supporters abandon their club quicker that a Corey Enright 300th game or an elimination final against Richmond at the very first sign of a challenge. There's no way the likes of you would stand by your club and rattle tins in your club's hour of need. If the tax payer and the AFL didn't carry your club, it would have folded years ago and you'd be a passionate Hawthorn supporter.

Off you go now and mash to the mods, as you do. You miserable humourless creature.

Rubbish.

LAschroft has been #1 for most of the last two years, and the only 'analysts' who are saying otherwise are those which are taking into consideration the father/son situation.

Tell us all who Richmond already have who us 'similar' to the best 18yo in the country?
A good many pundits had FOS at no.1 this time last year.

We have medium paced players like Taranto, Hopper, Prestia and Ross. Sure Ashcroft looks better than all but still similar in that respect. Someone like Lalor with his power and Dusty qualities might suit us more, or FOS with speed, athleticism and class might also. But it's a mute argument, Ashcroft isn't coming our way so what is the point of this discussion. except to prove a hypothetical point.

That was my point, you intellectually challenged thing. Your team can't beat Richmond in finals, you're lucky we've only had one dynasty this century and you're obviously utterly terrified any prospect of the next.
Yeah Geelong supporters...

You guys are so lucky Richmond have been absolutely shite for a majority of the last 4 decades!

If you guys change who you take because of a cooked champion, an injury prone B-grader and a plodder it will be very funny.
Not sure if you've heard but Ashcroft is not available. Lalor and FOS are atop plenty of mock drafts, Smith and Smillie not far behind, and Draper looks pretty good. Not sure which one we will take, but none of them will make you laugh or mock or whatever.

How absurd, taking a player over another when you can throw a blanket over them all, because one might give you something you don't have, in our case a bit of speed. If we get North's no.2, we could well take FOS and Lalor, what a laugh.

Not sure if you've heard but Ashcroft is not available. Lalor and FOS are atop plenty of mock drafts, Smith and Smillie not far behind, and Draper looks pretty good. Not sure which one we will take, but none of them will make you laugh or mock or whatever.

How absurd, taking a player over another when you can throw a blanket over them all, because one might give you something you don't have, in our case a bit of speed. If we get North's no.2, we could well take FOS and Lalor, what a laugh.

Nah I fully expect you to get some very talented young players. You might even be able to wait until they produce some good performances at AFL level to talk them up. No more comparing Cumberland to Toby Greene while he's stuck in the VFL.

But you looking at Prestia, Ross and Hopper and thinking "nah best we avoid the slow inside types" is genuinely funny. They're exactly the types you should be replacing during the rebuild.

I honestly don't see why you would be interested in pick 2. Everyone knows the draft is very even up the top end. You'd be much better off trading a pick out for a future 1st than giving up 6+18 for 2 or something similar.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well it's not fact. What is a fact is your obvious bitter rage and fear and loathing of Richmond.
You're a little bit pathetic if you want to know the truth. I feel sorry for you

I agree with you that it's a good thing that Geelong's been such an extraordinarily well run club and so competitive in the AFL era, because we all know that their supporters abandon their club quicker that a Corey Enright 300th game or an elimination final against Richmond at the very first sign of a challenge. There's no way the likes of you would stand by your club and rattle tins in your club's hour of need. If the tax payer and the AFL didn't carry your club, it would have folded years ago and you'd be a passionate Hawthorn supporter.

Off you go now and mash to the mods, as you do. You miserable humourless creature.
Ohh this is one gold tantrum. Love it!

Levi could be even better than Will which would put him into GOAT contention. Already has the most successful junior career ever.
Wouldn’t go that far?? Still have daicos junior year ahead. But he is clear no1 for mine and many others.

His VFL game was just insane

Richmond are tanking and I personally think 'good on them'. They're not contending anytime soon and were lucky that players were looking to move on and teams were happy to pay (or even overpay) to set the Tigers up with a multitude of high end draft picks.

As for the media, there will be 'nothing to see here'.

Yeah Geelong supporters...

You guys are so lucky Richmond have been absolutely shite for a majority of the last 4 decades!
And still one of the most successful clubs in the land last 20 years and last 60 years with 8 premierships

Its just not fair ....................... Is it

Nah I fully expect you to get some very talented young players. You might even be able to wait until they produce some good performances at AFL level to talk them up. No more comparing Cumberland to Toby Greene while he's stuck in the VFL.

But you looking at Prestia, Ross and Hopper and thinking "nah best we avoid the slow inside types" is genuinely funny. They're exactly the types you should be replacing during the rebuild.

I honestly don't see why you would be interested in pick 2. Everyone knows the draft is very even up the top end. You'd be much better off trading a pick out for a future 1st than giving up 6+18 for 2 or something similar.
How do you replace Hopper and Taranto other than sacking them. They are around for years, whether that is good or bad we will find out proper thius season. Ross is going well, Prestia on his last legs.

There are plenty of hard at it accumulators to draft, we will have pick 1 or so next year as well. To rise quickly, we need players that can win you games or produce special moment as well.

I'm half with you on trading picks but I am not a draft expert who has been following and watching most of their games as a team of recruiters have. So I will leave that to them. If we think Lalor, FOS, Smith is worth it, so be it.

Rubbish.

I don't know if this is entirely true.

Smillie appeared to be the consensus number 1 early this season until he stagnated somewhat.

Smith and O'Sullivan also had their fans for the number 1 spot.

Ashcroft now looks like the best available player if you take out father-son/academy bids, but it's after a full season of footy has concluded.

He's definitely been one of the leading contenders to be 'Number 1 for the last 2 years' at the very least.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. “It’s a form of tanking” the Richmond rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

Back