Player Watch #20: Nick 'Souva' Larkey - 23AA/24 NM VC

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand that if he’s well held, but we are are 5 goals up, then keep the status quo. But today, why wasn’t he tried somewhere else? Anywhere.

And unfortunately this is not a new complaint.

I thought he had turned the corner last year with his leads and work rate and he ended up with a giant haul of goals as a result.

But this last month we are back to the bad old habits.
It’s not just him but he has to lead it.

So many times today we did our stupid slow build to the pocket/flank only to be stagnant in front of the ball.

This calling for the ball on their head is absolute pus.

Something is odd. No goals in 11 qtr's I hear. We almost all thought more talls would help our potency, and yeah we've beem more competitive, but besides once scores are low. Is oir competitiveness from more efficient team offence, or a better defence. Did the mids bridge the gap or at least overachieve. Whats the mix?

Leading into the inclusion of Pink/Dawson/Teak fwd someone posted that Lark's stats were worse, or maybe the same I dunno, when CCJ was in the team as the other tall. Can our artistic longshot kick a bag when he isnt the only +195cm fwd? I think champion data keep a stat on f50 targets and Lark is usually vvery high, has that changed in the last few weeks? Has his return per "target" dropped or we're just look for other options more. In a properly productive fwd line, maybe he's a less potent goal kicker?

Awful 2 weeks from Souv . Our delivery was crap but he’s got to find a way of having an influence when he’s struggling . Can’t have your leaders producing nothing when the youngsters are working their ass off .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BBC Awful 2 weeks from Souv . Our delivery was crap but he’s got to find a way of having an influence when he’s struggling . Can’t have your leaders producing nothing when the youngsters are working their ass off .
Running under the ball. Needs to make a contest at least and needs to adjust to having other talls there. He hasnt.

Awful 2 weeks from Souv . Our delivery was crap but he’s got to find a way of having an influence when he’s struggling . Can’t have your leaders producing nothing when the youngsters are working their ass off .
Lethargic ball movement is killing him.

Needs to stop playing for frees though. It's asinine and damages us as a team.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Plods into the bye.
Comes out and kicks 5 against West Coast.
Kicks 4 in the first quarter against the Pies.
Has now gone 11 quarters without a goal.

Hes not working anywhere near hard enough. Genuinely poor today.

Might be a good move to start further up the ground next week, give him the chance to expand his leading zone by 180 degrees. Have Teakle and/or Pink play closer to goal to create a contest. May bring help is form and possibly catch GC of guard

Might be a good move to start further up the ground next week, give him the chance to expand his leading zone by 180 degrees. Have Teakle and/or Pink play closer to goal to create a contest. May bring help is form and possibly catch GC of guard
Agree , Pink also needs to play lead up the ground / half forward. Not sure if people see it or give him enough recognition. His workrate off the ball or in a pack situation is off the charts . I looked at him in the 3rd quarter after he literally would have done 5-6 pressure acts in a row & he was absolutely spent. This is his first real season in the AFL coming off playing in the SAFL .
Again , like Teackel he’s not the long term answer up forward for us but for the time being Pink knows himself that if he doesn’t make it in this current role he is in the VFL as the the backline is only getting stronger with Logues return coming up very soon .

Agree , Pink also needs to play lead up the ground / half forward. Not sure if people see it or give him enough recognition. His workrate off the ball or in a pack situation is off the charts . I looked at him in the 3rd quarter after he literally would have done 5-6 pressure acts in a row & he was absolutely spent. This is his first real season in the AFL coming off playing in the SAFL .
Again , like Teackel he’s not the long term answer up forward for us but for the time being Pink knows himself that if he doesn’t make it in this current role he is in the VFL as the the backline is only getting stronger with Logues return coming up very soon .
well articulated, agree pink aint taking us to the promised land but like many before him can maintain structures till we get a genuine marking tall kpf. so many players on the list to cycle through before you address the C graders / depth / fringe players.

Lethargic ball movement is killing him.

Needs to stop playing for frees though. It's asinine and damages us as a team.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Watching from the ground there were a number of times yesterday where he worked into a good position but the player with the ball either decided to call their mum first before kicking to him or chipped the ball sideways to a player who then bombed it to a now outnumbered Larkey. Caught a bit of the game on tv where the commentator said "Larkey would be filthy with being ignored then" etc..
The sooking for frees is a bit of a full forwards disease but is generally both silly and pointless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back