List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twomey:
PICK 1 - ST KILDA - PADDY McCARTIN – 19/4/96, 193cm, 95kg, Geelong Falcons
The most imposing key forward in the draft, McCartin carries a presence like all the best power goalkickers. His game is based around his marking: he uses his size to crash packs and take contested grabs, and his smarts and breakaway speed to get on the lead and find space. Some injuries got in the way of him putting together a more productive campaign, but in the games McCartin played he kicked goals and accumulated plenty of shots. He'll give his all every time the ball's kicked to him, and would offer long-term back up to the Saints' forward line with Nick Riewoldt nearing the end of his glittering career. McCartin has probably deserved more discussion as a possible No.1 pick through the year, because he's got some special traits.

If not him? It's been a line-ball call (and a really hard one) for the Saints the whole way. If not McCartin, the Saints will go with star midfielder Christian Petracca.

ST KILDA
Picks:
1, 21, 22, 41
As per their very structured rebuild plans, most of the Saints' work will be done nice and early at the draft, leaving pick 41 as their only live selection outside the top 30. What they do there might depend on the players they've already secured, but if they look to bolster their small forwards, South Australian Cory Gregson has been linked to them and he loves to exert inside-50 pressure. Jack Lonie and Jaden McGrath are other possibilities, and either would fill a need as a crafty small option given the club has lost a few of those in recent times.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-25/the-phantom-draft.workstation

Ugh, will be extremely jealous of Melbourne picking up Petracca and Brayshaw, much surer things than Scully and Trengove.
Just on this, I think it might be a bit of a safety net that Melbourne pick straight after us in more ways than one. Thankfully it's not Collingwood, who knows how much #2 would be hyped if the Pies had the selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting you bring Beetham up. I know guy who worked closely with Beetham as a school kid and he was adamant the Saints were making a mistake based on Beetham's personal qualities (nothing bad, just not cut out to go the distance). He turned out to be right despite the fact that Beetham was a freak talent.

These days clubs are far less likely to make that mistake because of the amount of background they do on each player. So I back the Saints to get to the end of the process and make a good decision about who the best player is. And, frankly, if they've decided that McCartin is the best that's really exciting because KPPs are so bloody hard to find.

So I'm barracking for McCartin for that reason, but if the Saints choose CP I'll have no doubt that they've picked the best player.

He was really highly rated by a lot of clubs apparently so no problems there. The point I was trying to make was my sources couldn't have been better, hell one will be giving a radio rundown on Thursday night, but they were still wrong. I will know who we rate when they call the names on Thursday the same as all but a handful of guys and I will have mixed feelings no matter who they choose. I will however get behind our recruits and hope they all go on to be guns for us.

Figures the one year we come last there isn't a universal number one pick.
doesnt mean saints havent viewed someone as the no.1 all along

FFS, surely Finnis doesn't get to put any input into who we take at no1. If he does, that would be like me performing heart surgery.
what else do you expect from finnis except incompedence IMO

Cal Twomey has McCartin going to us as well. I think that's that.
My boy Reece not in the top 30-odd, nor otherwise mentioned...

Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back