List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get ready for the Saints to miss the bus again. Its a no brainer to choose Petracca. We're the only team stupid enough to overlook him. Clearly financial considerations are going to over rule common sense. Geelong built a dynasty with only Mooney/Hawkins up forward but a host of gun mids. Wake up Saints, its a midfielders game now. Even the best forwards can be stifled with numbers behind the ball. Maybe Petracca deliberately stuffed up his psyche tests to put the Saints off him. I can visualise him in years to come picking up his premiership medallion (number two or three) for Melbourne or GWS. We just look on glumly and say (as usual) if only .....

Please Saints, say it ain't so ..

[QUOTE="Feerits Elf, post: 36221891, member: 5810that's whatll like one, I call double agent. :p[/QUOTE]

Lol my spelling and grammar are shocking I know.

luckily i dont really need it in my feild of work.

Kevin Sheedy's number one piece of advice to U/18 players hoping to make it to the AFL was that they should be as fit as 10,000m runners. I think Sheedy is saying that enurance is going to become even more important over the next few years, so if you can run all day you are more likely to get drafted. Sheedy knows his stuff, and I think our recruiting staff and Richo also know their stuff, so I wonder if we might be thinking along the same lines as Sheedy and put a greater emphasis on a player's natural endurance. If so, I think Cavka could be an astute selection, as it sounds as though he is the hardest running player on offer, meaning he has at least one 'elite' tribute to his game. I wouldn't be against us grabbing him at 21/22 (unfortunately it is unlikely he will last to 41). It also sounds as though he is 'Robert-Harvey-like' in his approach to training, suggesting he could become one of the hardest runners in the AFL in a fairly short space of time.

Melbourne forum saying that HUN reporting Dees are considering taking Wright over Petracca at pick #3 claiming they are considering the need for another tall to support Hogan!
Probably not true but how the mighty have fallen if Petracca ends up at GWS.

That was already refuted by roos

Kevin Sheedy's number one piece of advice to U/18 players hoping to make it to the AFL was that they should be as fit as 10,000m runners. I think Sheedy is saying that enurance is going to become even more important over the next few years, so if you can run all day you are more likely to get drafted. Sheedy knows his stuff, and I think our recruiting staff and Richo also know their stuff, so I wonder if we might be thinking along the same lines as Sheedy and put a greater emphasis on a player's natural endurance. If so, I think Cavka could be an astute selection, as it sounds as though he is the hardest running player on offer, meaning he has at least one 'elite' tribute to his game. I wouldn't be against us grabbing him at 21/22 (unfortunately it is unlikely he will last to 41). It also sounds as though he is 'Robert-Harvey-like' in his approach to training, suggesting he could become one of the hardest runners in the AFL in a fairly short space of time.

You could swap Cavka for Neal-bullen as both are at top of the tree in that area. Cavka slightly ahead but ANB in the conversation.

Speaking of poor attitudes.

A bloke by the name of Lance Franklin apparently had behavioural issues and fell to #5 while model citizens like Richard Tambling was drafted before him.

So yes, if that's the case, our recruiters are really on top of things

If the Hawks had only one top five pick in that draft, they would not have taken Buddy. They were able to take the risk because they had what they saw as a sure thing with Roughy. Part of the reason that no. 1 picks are often not the best in their draft is that clubs play it safe. Not saying it's right, but it does make sense - taking a gamble at no. 1 is hard to justify. Taking a gamble at 5 is hard to justify too if you haven't also had a pick at 2.

BTW, I just pulled up the 2004 Draft to make sure I had my facts right and realised that picks 1-7 could be named "why Hawthorn has three premierships and the Doggies none". Then I looked at Burgatron's 2004 Phantom Draft - compared to what he thought they'd do, they absolutely nailed those three picks to the wall: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2004-11-11/burgatron-v-the-phantom-draft . Jordan Lewis at no. 7 - ****ing genius.

Based on our performance at the draft table last year, I reckon we could do something similar. At least, that's the hope.

Endurance is huge these days and I'm also very intrigued by Cavka, but his disposal is meant to be only average, which is why he's not tipped to go top-20. He finished his season with a huge rush though, so I would also not be fussed if we grabbed him with 21 or 22- if there aren't two "sliders". He could give us some of the outside run that we're after (although I'd like to see Jimmy Webster played on the wing pretty soon and Blacres and Eli will also hopefully give us a lot of that run). Word is that Collingwood are dead-keen (they like those who perform in big games, which he certainly did!), so it's very highly unlikely he'll last to 41.

I don't believe that to be the case, but I do believe that he put a number of noses out of joint in his interview/s with us and that we much preferred how Paddy came across, which, if it was a really close call, could easily have tipped the scales his way- especially if there are also genuine queries on CP's hips (which could easily be the case, given Mark Stevens' tweet last night- if Petracca got a poor result in his most recent medical, all the clubs would know, which might be why he tweeted what he did last night).

What did mark Stevens tweet?

Not Sure if it's been done

Numbers comparison over TAC Cup years for both players

Pat McCartin/Christian Petracca
Games 13/29
Times in Best 5/15
Goals 41/63
Goals Avg 3.15/2.17
Behinds 28/48
Behinds Avg 2.15/1.66
Goal % 59/57
Kicks 12.85/13.59
Kick Eff% 55/54
HB 3.54/7.38
HB% 63/73
Possessions per Game 16.38/20.97
Marks 8.31/5.41
Contested Marks 2.62/2.21
Tackles 0.69/3.38

Worth noting with both player... Majority of games in 2013 as unders.... Petracca even played a few as a 16yo 2 yeasts under.

In the champs both have good numbers
McCartin a very good 2013
Petracca a ridiculous 2014

Get ready for the Saints to miss the bus again. Its a no brainer to choose Petracca. We're the only team stupid enough to overlook him. Clearly financial considerations are going to over rule common sense. Geelong built a dynasty with only Mooney/Hawkins up forward but a host of gun mids. Wake up Saints, its a midfielders game now. Even the best forwards can be stifled with numbers behind the ball. Maybe Petracca deliberately stuffed up his psyche tests to put the Saints off him. I can visualise him in years to come picking up his premiership medallion (number two or three) for Melbourne or GWS. We just look on glumly and say (as usual) if only .....

Please Saints, say it ain't so ..

What you envision is absoulutely nothing to do with the real future.
Out of all of the number one draft picks this millenium, the Saints have nailed one, maybe 2. Only 2 other number ones have been proven to be arguably the best pick in the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having just read the last 15 pages (sheesh...), we've stopped talking about Finnis' influence, but I thought I might just chime in on that. I HIGHLY doubt that Finnis is vetoing Bains and Trout. But his opinion may still be very useful. Remember, he was the AFLPA manager for quite a while - that means he has spent a lot of time with players, and knows how they handle conflict, etc. He might have simply been offering a different perspective from his AFLPA experience, that while not definitive, was a useful advantage that other clubs don't have.

I hope you don't mind me asking but I heard on SEN something about Patracca having some psychological issues. I am guessing you guys know more about that than I do so I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the rumours are exactly?

Thanks.
stj090205_348901k.jpg

Can you explain what a non one dimensional FF is coming out of a draft.....
They lead-up, mark the ball, then kick it through the goals. When all else fails bring the ball to ground.
Apparently that's not enough for some.

What you envision is absoulutely nothing to do with the real future.
Out of all of the number one draft picks this millenium, the Saints have nailed one, maybe 2. Only 2 other number ones have been proven to be arguably the best pick in the draft.
My thoughts indeed....

One only has to go back to the 2008 & 2009 drafts to see that the best player(s) currently from those years weren't top picks:

2008 - Beams (29), Hannebery (30), Sloane (44)
2009 - Nat Fyfe (20), Dustin Martin (3), Daniel Talia (13)

Hahaha if we get goddard or weller I can't explain what I'll do. That would be awesome but unlikely

Imagine if we got both...

McCartin
Goddard
Weller
Lonie

:eek::confused::cool::p:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back