List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
St Kilda is still weighing up their interest in Saad, who can only start training in January as he serves an 18-month drug ban.

They are more likely to move on Saad in the rookie draft given their picks tap out at pick 41, but they aren’t the only contenders for his services.

Saad is understood to have met Collingwood with Carlton also interested in meeting its needs for a small forward.

The Pies will not take Saad in Thursday night’s draft but could consider him in next week’s rookie draft if their small forward needs are not met tonight.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...ose-at-afl-draft/story-fnb7al7m-1227135994295

Its good that we hear hips/attitude/elevator/shoe stories but nothing on Paddy.

That makes me so much more comfortable.
Cause paddy isn't a local haha, I'm sure if he grew up in the bayside area we would know way more about him.

It's the Dante Exum effect in the nba draft

Only guessing here as to what Defacto is talking about -

We invited Petracca back for a second medical. Soon after the McCartin news leaks and we all get given a few days to prepare.

I think Petracca's hip is degenerative and the club are staying silent on it.
Couple that with ****ing off to Collingwood to be FIGJAM bum chums with Bucks in 2 years....

Seems legit

Obviously the character of Petracca has been highlighted as the reason we are over looking him by some. To add weight to that claim, a very jolly TAC Cup Regional Manager informed me that he is an 'absolute F#$(%($ flog', which to be honest didn't surprise me.
But he makes a great latte

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Obviously the character of Petracca has been highlighted as the reason we are over looking him by some. To add weight to that claim, a very jolly TAC Cup Regional Manager informed me that he is an 'absolute F#$(%($ flog', which to be honest didn't surprise me.
To be fair, so is Dustin Martin (always has been, i know that personally). Yet he will still be a gun.
And so could/will Petracca if the hips hold out.

You know they say one mans stupidity is another mans gain. Or it goes something like that.
You guys must be laughing your a$$ off.
I think im gona follow Racca all the way to the Dees members tent.
Without doubt we must be the dumbest club in the history of the afl.

See ya mate! Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
I'd rather draft McCartin now, hopefully more 'supporters' feel this way and we can laugh at them when we win flag número dos.

To be fair, so is Dustin Martin (always has been, i know that personally). Yet he will still be a gun.
Martin may well be a gun.

I personally wouldn't want a #1 pick travelling that close to career ending trouble and controversy, no matter how talented he may be.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thats a fair point. Not everyone can be a lenny hayes. Attitude wise Mc cartin def comes across as having his head screwed on right.
He reminds me of Jarryd Roughead a lot in his personality as well as his game.

Whoever thinks today's modern game is a midfielders game needs to ask themselves this: Why were the two biggest contracts in the history of the AFL awarded to full forwards? Then add Tippet, Roo's mega deal when he was in his prime, Wayne Carey's, Jack Reiwoldt, Jono Brown etc.
Even the most mentally challenged person should be able to understand that power forwards win flags.
Yeah Quinten Lynch was definitely the reason WC won a flag. Nathan Ablett and Cameron Mooney were both unstoppable forces that dragged their team to a flag. :confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't give up pick 1 for Martin personally. Others might, but I sure as shit wouldn't want a dyslexic pill head at our club. (although thats a different topic all together).

Last edited:
Get ready for the Saints to miss the bus again. Its a no brainer to choose Petracca. We're the only team stupid enough to overlook him. Clearly financial considerations are going to over rule common sense. Geelong built a dynasty with only Mooney/Hawkins up forward but a host of gun mids. Wake up Saints, its a midfielders game now. Even the best forwards can be stifled with numbers behind the ball. Maybe Petracca deliberately stuffed up his psyche tests to put the Saints off him. I can visualise him in years to come picking up his premiership medallion (number two or three) for Melbourne or GWS. We just look on glumly and say (as usual) if only .....

Please Saints, say it ain't so ..
This is really bothering me. I'm sorry for targeting you here, but I have read this about 15 times over the last couple of days.

People who make this argument are completely missing the point. They are somehow linking the "cost" of getting a FF with our perilous financial situation. Somehow, recent commentary has positioned many people to believe that the decision to select Mccartin ahead of Petracca is some sort of savings measure.

Can I explain "cost" to you in the Fwd V Mid debate? Great! Basically, the "cost" of recruiting a bona fide forward is huge. It is a hugely inflated market at the moment. To lure quality key forwards, we would have to "pay" a significant amount. This would likely involve trading a very good player or players or a very good draft pick or picks. On top of that, we would be likely to offer an obscenely long contract to a player for an obscene amount of money.

But the "cost" isn't about our perilous financial position. The cost is in terms of list management. We have a clear plan to build towards 2020. If we are missing a key post up forward, we will need to sacrifice so much to fill the hole. So much salary cap space, for so long, plus draft pick/s and/or player/s. List management wise, the "cost" of not being able to draft a KP forward is significant.

That doesn't make it a financial decision. It's a list management decision. The financial cost is covered under the salary cap, which by that point we will be paying out near full anyway. It's not the "financial considerations" that would lead to a Fwd being chosen over a Mid. It's the cost, in a list management sense, of targeting a forward from another club rather than drafting one and developing him yourself. Midfielders are far easier to come across later in drafts or recruit and plug holes. The cost of recruiting midfielders is not inflationary (though of course elite midfielders would still cost you a ton).

We took advantage of this "cost" by "selling" R.Stanley for pick 21. We will then cash in on it by selecting Mccartin with pick 1 if this is the case. Of course, that doesn't make us right. We need to utilise both of these picks for this to be the right move. But if it is, we save ourselves dramatic "costs" (again, nothing to do with a financial position). We save ourselves some extra cap room to attract/maintain quality players (the difference between what you pay a loyal draftee throughout career to what you are forced to pay someone to attract them to a new club) plus the actual cost of orchestrating a trade (valuable draft picks or players to our rebuild).

Of course, the above only works if we value Mccartin and Petracca as similarly talents. Or even if Petracca was ahead, by a minuscule amount. That's the wait and see bit. And I'm bloody excited to wait and see, whichever one we go with :)

Yeah Quinten Lynch was definitely the reason WC won a flag. Nathan Ablett and Cameron Mooney were both unstoppable forces that dragged their team to a flag. :confused:
Yeah and we clearly would have won a flag if we drafted Didak and Livingston instead of Riewoldt and Kozi :confused:

I wouldn't give up pick 1 for Martin personally. Others might, but I sure as shit wouldn't want a dyslexic pill head at out club. (although thats a different topic all together).
Nor would i. I am on the Paddy wagon now don't get me wrong. Just making the point that he may well become a gun still (attitude or not).

Will be funny if we pick Petracca tomorrow night, and reading on here how he was the obvious choice and what great pick and how he will be a future leader of the club.
The level headed ones of us are happy with either and trust the recruiters

Will be funny if we pick Petracca tomorrow night, and reading on here how he was the obvious choice and what great pick and how he will be a future leader of the club.
I think we're going to be content either way.

With Petracca we get the best player in the draft at the this current point in time. Albeit a player with huge queries over his hips and his character.

With McCartin we get the best KF in the draft at this current point in time. With huge questions over his diabetes and body fat percentage.

I'm in the McCartin camp personally and while I think that Petracca could be a great player, I don't think he would be any better of a fit for our club than McCartin.

Yeah and we clearly would have won a flag if we drafted Didak and Livingston instead of Riewoldt and Kozi :confused:
I don't know where you've pulled that from but there's no arguing elite midfields are more important than power forwards. Geelong and West Coast have proven that.

I'm happy with either.

Both make sense.

Believe it or not so am I.

Have warmed to McCartin after thinking about it for a couple of days. the Age article today also allayed fears saying he was more than one dimensional and could also play CHF.

21 and 22 will be fascinating

Believe it or not so am I.

Have warmed to McCartin after thinking about it for a couple of days. the Age article today also allayed fears saying he was more than one dimensional and could also play CHF.

21 and 22 will be fascinating
This.

Pumped to see if its Petracca or McCartin, but heaps more intrigued about picks 21,22 & 41.... Bring on the sliders!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back