List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

My fear for this draft at the moment is that we'll pick a defender and expect them to be a dominant CHF for the next 10 years.
My exact concern with Goddard and Durdin...

Where do they play their most natural footy?

My exact concern with Goddard and Durdin...

Where do they play their most natural footy?

Durdin's played mostly down back at CHB, with effective stints up forward and in the ruck (due to his height). He's played his best footy from all reports down back.

Goddard, from what I've seen has played mostly up forward. Not sure if he's as goal-hungry or aggressive in the contest as a McCartin.

Uncle Barrels I'm with you. I've gone cold on Wright and Durdin. Goddard I'm a little iffy on as well. He doesn't seem like a dominant marking forward and he doesn't seem like a high production centre half forward. He looks to be very much a development player who hasn't found his niche.

I think us fans need to draft a guy that gives us immediate player success to get us excited about so not sure a forward such as Goddard (and Durdin), who will take 4-5 years to have any sort of impact at AFL level is what we are after. Wright to me seems more like a natural ruckman first, forward second. Someone made the Kreuzer comparison.

I think we need to remain ultra conservative with our selections, something we did well last year. We didn't reach for Bontempelli or KK or Sharenberg with a question mark over his long-term injury or Aish with the go-home factor. We chose conservatively with Billings (Kelly would've been short-listed as well if avail IMO) and Dunstan at 18. Acres seems to be a very 'safe' selection as well. I suspect we will take the same path this year and pick a 'sure thing' , so I won't be surprised if we indeed pick Brayshaw if question marks arise throughout the season on some of the talls.

I'm very confidence we finish 17th this year with the Lions overtaking us and GWS finishing last. I think GWS will favour Wright, Durdin and possibly even Goddard to McCartin. You would think they would favour the guys with more variety to their games seeing as they are set for one-dimensional tall forwards, which McCartin is. Well I hope so anyway because I think the one-dimensonal tall forward in McCartin is exactly what we need. And if they do pick McCartin, or at least have their mind set on picking him around trade period, that may give us an opportunity to grab a Patton or Boyd from them. Because right now, I prefer Boyd or Patton over Wright, Durdin or Goddard.

We've lacked a genuine forward 'presence' since Big Fraser - and to an extent Aaron Hamill - and to me, McCartin has elements of both, being a stay-at-home full forward like Fraser, with Hamill's attack on the ball and strong hands on the lead and above his head (never Fraser's strongest points).

He may yet grow another inch or two, but he's never going lose the natural forward nous or strong body.

He could play straight away, and, with Roo still around, that would straighten us up considerably and make to harder to double team the champ.

We've lacked a genuine forward 'presence' since Big Fraser - and to an extent Aaron Hamill - and to me, McCartin has elements of both, being a stay-at-home full forward like Fraser, with Hamill's attack on the ball and strong hands on the lead and above his head (never Fraser's strongest points).

He may yet grow another inch or two, but he's never going lose the natural forward nous or strong body.

He could play straight away, and, with Roo still around, that would straighten us up considerably and make to harder to double team the champ.

i'm yet to see him play but even if we do select him and he's say going to play a third tall role, theres no drama in adding to that list with lee/siposs on it already

i'm still worried about the midfield. west coast have an amazing backline and very good fwd line yet still lose because their midfield is shizen

i'm just worried theres no real high end in this draft like last year. i get the feeling its just more bland with more picks available, so it will run deeper, but not have that high quality we saw in the top 10 last year

I'm very confidence we finish 17th this year with the Lions overtaking us and GWS finishing last. I think GWS will favour Wright, Durdin and possibly even Goddard to McCartin. You would think they would favour the guys with more variety to their games seeing as they are set for one-dimensional tall forwards, which McCartin is. Well I hope so anyway because I think the one-dimensonal tall forward in McCartin is exactly what we need. And if they do pick McCartin, or at least have their mind set on picking him around trade period, that may give us an opportunity to grab a Patton or Boyd from them. Because right now, I prefer Boyd or Patton over Wright, Durdin or Goddard.

Yep all excellent points Emp... the only issue I see in drafting McCartin is if he can only play deep forward & we also somehow acquire Patton.

If we have the wonderful but probably unlikely scenario where both are in red, whit & black then we will need both to be capable of playing deep & up the ground. I don't see any reason why both Paddy & The General couldn't be that versatile but I suppose it's a consideration.

At present they're both true full forwards although Patton has played CHF on occasion. Geez it would be nice to start 2016 with a forwardline like this;

Billings Patton Lee
Templeton McCartin Montagna

I suppose it's not outside the realms of possibility with a top 2 pick almost assured this year & another top 3 in 2015, Patton out of contract in 2015 & the club having plenty of $$$ to spend.

#getPaddy2014 #getTheGeneral2015 #GoSaints

i'm yet to see him play but even if we do select him and he's say going to play a third tall role, theres no drama in adding to that list with lee/siposs on it already

i'm still worried about the midfield. west coast have an amazing backline and very good fwd line yet still lose because their midfield is shizen

i'm just worried theres no real high end in this draft like last year. i get the feeling its just more bland with more picks available, so it will run deeper, but not have that high quality we saw in the top 10 last year
Agree. A lot of people say mids are easy to find but try telling west coast or Essendon that the past few years. Another reason why I can't fathom people wanting to trade Steven.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Say we finish bottom.

Do we choose McCartin first, at the expense of the more highly rated Wright? Could be another Watts/Nic Nat situation if Wright goes on to be a star

Scenario to consider;

If we finish last
& Stanley is traded then

We'll take Wright

If we finish last
& Stanley stays

We'll take McCartin

I can't see the list being able to accommodate 3 ruckmen (Hickey, Longer & Pierce) & 2 x 203cm ruck/forwards.

If we finish 2nd last then who knows!

Yep all excellent points Emp... the only issue I see in drafting McCartin is if he can only play deep forward & we also somehow acquire Patton.

If we have the wonderful but probably unlikely scenario where both are in red, whit & black then we will need both to be capable of playing deep & up the ground. I don't see any reason why both Paddy & The General couldn't be that versatile but I suppose it's a consideration.

At present they're both true full forwards although Patton has played CHF on occasion. Geez it would be nice to start 2016 with a forwardline like this;

Billings Patton Lee
Templeton McCartin Montagna

I suppose it's not outside the realms of possibility with a top 2 pick almost assured this year & another top 3 in 2015, Patton out of contract in 2015 & the club having plenty of $$$ to spend.

#getPaddy2014 #getTheGeneral2015 #GoSaints

Now that would be perfect. Patton's contract expires next year so not out of the question. But a bidding war will ensue. He won't come cheap.

I noticed with Giles being dropped over the weekend Patton played second ruck. He is more versatile than he gets credit for.

McCartin does seem one-dimension and I certainly favour Patton even if it meant parting with pick 2 this year if GWS could be negotiated into releasing him from his contract. But I prefer McCartin to this years draftees. Both McCartin and Patton would be dreamy.

Say we finish bottom.

Do we choose McCartin first, at the expense of the more highly rated Wright? Could be another Watts/Nic Nat situation if Wright goes on to be a star

The media seems to be swaying towards McCartin being picked 1 and being the more highly rated over Wright. I'm kind've hoping the media is wrong and Wright goes 1, McCartin goes to us.

I honestly don't get why GWS took both Boyd and Patton, people say it's so they can trade the lesser one down the line but they took them both at pick 1 and I don't see them recouping that value.

Agree. A lot of people say mids are easy to find but try telling west coast or Essendon that the past few years. Another reason why I can't fathom people wanting to trade Steven.

I disagree with the notion that building a strong midfield is difficult, in the sense that it is not so much difficult to build a wellrounded midfield, it's just hard to find those top tier win you a game of football type midfielders. I don't believe there is one this draft crop, perhaps Brayshaw's inside work might be the closest we see and potential Heeney (who'll undoubtedly go to the Swans).

For West Coast for example, on paper, their midfield has outside class in Shuey, Masten and Gaff, but through losing Kerr along with Priddis getting older, they've lacked consistent inside ball-getters. I'd also argue that the reason they've underperformed is between the ears. Tag either one of them, and they literally end up having zero influence on any given game.

The Bomber's haven't had the high picks that we are going to get, which give us better access to elite midfield talent.

At the moment, take our midfield, we're lacking polish and spread, while thus far, our actually ball-winning inside has been solid, if not, breaking even with most sides this year. We'll need another inside machine to eventually replace lenny, as I feel with most premiership sides, you need at least 2 inside beasts or perhaps 1 inside and an elite inside/outside mid (eg. Swan & Pendlebury or Mitchell & Sewell). Then add a couple of guys who can rotate inside and outside - ala Beams, Sidebottom, Burgoyne & Hodge (as examples).

We have plenty of time to build a better midfield - we have quite a few solid foot soldiers at the bare minimum, in the wings already (Webster, Acres etc should all be able to rotate into the midfield as wingers, with Acres potentially going on the ball for stretches). Midfielders take less time and high quality mids are far more common, just not necessarily in this years draft crop. We can grab them over the next couple of years, because KPP's take far longer to develop (unless you're Roo or Cameron for example).

The only instance in which I'd entertain trading Steven is if we were getting overs for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back