List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the performances of both Brisbane and GWS at the weekend I dont think there is any doubt that we will finish last. Therefore it will be the Saints decision who is number one pick. At this stage I think it would be McCartin.

They won't.. Especially with the #1 pick
They will, because they can afford to. Normal teams have to play their cards right and pick best available, and even then, they'll take someone as a bit of a reach to fill a need. GWS have more than enough high quality key forwards, they're not going to get another one when they have glaring deficiencies in the backline, and to a lesser extent in the middle. They're not going to get a good return for a #1 pick (ie they can, at best, break even, but no team with the #1 pick is gonna trade it unless they get overs for it, probably 2 high picks, or a player and a high pick in return), so it'd be foolish to take another forward when they're gonna have to trade two already. It's not as if Goddard or Durdin are speculative picks, they are considered potential top 5 picks already

Does Patton's history of injuries worry anybody? If he can keep fit he'll be a great player, but with his knee problems there's always that element of doubt.
My issue with his knee is partially what it means for his mobility, but mainly his agility.

He's a big lump of a lad, and that's certainly a plus for us right now, but if he can't move off a straight line we've just got another later-career Kosi.

Does Patton's history of injuries worry anybody? If he can keep fit he'll be a great player, but with his knee problems there's always that element of doubt.

Roo has had a bad knee since 2001... it can be managed & from what I hear The General's issue is not degenerative like Roo's knee is.

He had patella tendinitis in one knee then did the ACL in the other. So IMO he's not in the same risk bracket that a Troy Menzel would be.

Roo has had a bad knee since 2001... it can be managed & from what I hear The General's issue is not degenerative like Roo's knee is.

He had patella tendinitis in one knee then did the ACL in the other. So IMO he's not in the same risk bracket that a Troy Menzel would be.

Menzel jnr is a bit of a double worry, given genetic issues with his knees, along with an already LARS repaired acl in one of his knees.

Let's say McCartin and Wright firm as the unanimous 1 and 2 picks, why wouldn't GWS with Cameron, Boyd, Patton and all their other KPP's just trade down to say pick 3-6ish and pick up the best available mid or utility while nabbing a good pick swap or experienced player? Eg. GWS give pick 1 and the Bulldogs give pick 4-6 and Lachie Hunter. I would imagine the Dogs, Carlton, Freo and us are all very keen to get first crack at the talls this year.

Let's say McCartin and Wright firm as the unanimous 1 and 2 picks, why wouldn't GWS with Cameron, Boyd, Patton and all their other KPP's just trade down to say pick 3-6ish and pick up the best available mid or utility while nabbing a good pick swap or experienced player? Eg. GWS give pick 1 and the Bulldogs give pick 4-6 and Lachie Hunter. I would imagine the Dogs, Carlton, Freo and us are all very keen to get first crack at the talls this year.
They'd only trade that pick if they got an experienced very good player in between 24-26 IMO, they don't need more kids and want senior players now.

It is a concern, but so are chronic back issues and there are surely question marks on someone who has diabetes, as apparently the thing that diabetes affects the most in elite level sport is endurance and endurance is incredibly important in AFL footy these days.

If GWS were open to trading a Patton or Boyd for our first pick this year I reckon I'd jump at the chance to get them, especially Boyd, as I think his performances over 18 months leading into his draft were more impressive than any of this year's crop are, to this point at least. At this stage of the champs last year, Boyd had kicked 9 goals in less than 4 quarters of footy! Had he not done his ankle he was on track to tear apart the champs like no-one anywhere near his height had done for years, if ever and far more than any of this year's "talls" look like doing, particularly Wright, Durdin and to a lesser extent Goddard.

McCartin for one sounds really appealing and you'd be pumped if you got him, but I think you would prefer he didn't have diabetes, was 5cm taller (ie. Patton's height) and had more confidence kicking for goal, ideally.

It may be unlikely, but I see a few potential reasons why GWS could be open to trading one of Boyd, Cameron and Patton this year, in spite of them all being contracted. All 3 of their current contracts are due to end at the end of next season (correct me if I'm wrong here), so if they feel that one in particular is not likely to stick around, it may be better for them to get on the front foot and trade them this year, for the following reasons:

- Removes any chance of them walking into the PSD in 18 months time and losing them for nothing.

- It gives them more say in what they get in return for them. For instance, if they do the trade quietly with a team like us this year, they could easily enough get our first pick this year for them, whereas if they wait until they come out of contract at the end of next year, they risk them nominating a club that they want to go to that perhaps doesn't have much that they're willing to trade that GWS would be interested in. A team that doesn't have any high picks then, for instance. (A bit like how Gold Coast could have apparently gotten Cale Hooker and pick 19 off Essendon the year before Josh Caddy came out of contract, but held out for a better deal the next year and got arguably less, in just the pick after Geelong's first rounder (which could be say pick 16 this year- time again Gold Coast could arguably do more with the much improved Hooker and whoever they'd have gotten with pick 19 that year- both of whom could have really helped them win a flag in the very near future- probably more than whoever they are likely to get with a pick like 16 this year will, anyway).

- Get the trade done this year, rather than in 12 months time and whoever GWS select with the high pick a club like us has given them will have had 12 months of development time under their belts by the end of next season, meaning that they are likely to be ready to contribute to GWS's flag tilt sooner, which would be GWS's advantage, as they don't want to be crap forever.

- They may be dead-keen on two different types at the top of the draft this year, like they apparently were last year, so getting another very early pick could mean that they could get both say Wright (if they see him plying ruck for them long term and really want him for that reason) and/or Brayshaw (if they know they're going to lose say Sheil and want someone similar to replace him with ASAP, after having also lost the likes of Adams and Tyson last year) and/or Goddard/Durdin (if they see them as being the long term answer to their key defensive issues).

- It seems they view "KPP's" as pretty much "commodities", so they may be much more willing to trade them than anyone expects, especially if they believe they'll get someone almost identical, but just younger, in return, which could potentially extend their eventual premiership window.

- If any of them are genuinely not happy playing and/or livup there (as it was suggested Patton isn't, for instance) they may just want to get them out of there ASAP, to just improve general morale around the place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What trade bait if any do the saints have?
Siposs 3rd round at best? What teams need a third tall?
Stanley Port were interested last year and a resting ruck/forward is about the only position they need a chop out in. Contending teams seem to pay slight overs so i think Stanley and our second round 20-23ish for their first round 18 atm and second round
Simpkin GWS are screaming out for a hand in the back line 4th round pick at best?
Ray is a Paul Roos special probably has 3 to 4 years left in him no idea what he would be worth maybe something in the 30's
Gilbert same as Ray, would be handy for Gold Coast

What trade bait if any do the saints have?
Siposs 3rd round at best? What teams need a third tall?
Stanley Port were interested last year and a resting ruck/forward is about the only position they need a chop out in. Contending teams seem to pay slight overs so i think Stanley and our second round 20-23ish for their first round 18 atm and second round
Simpkin GWS are screaming out for a hand in the back line 4th round pick at best?
Ray is a Paul Roos special probably has 3 to 4 years left in him no idea what he would be worth maybe something in the 30's
Gilbert same as Ray, would be handy for Gold Coast
o_O
No team would do that trade lol. I'd back in Port getting Scott Lycett they'd be all over him. GWS have massive upgrades on Tom Simpkin already they wouldn't touch Simpkin, Siposs would be lucky to be worth a 4th/5th around pick IMO.

o_O
No team would do that trade lol. I'd back in Port getting Scott Lycett they'd be all over him. GWS have massive upgrades on Tom Simpkin already they wouldn't touch Simpkin, Siposs would be lucky to be worth a 4th/5th around pick IMO.
Well Richo has to be playing Siposs and Stanley for some sort of reason, it can't be form based i was thinking to try and bump their trade price up.
Simpkin yeah fair enough.
What about Ray? Been solid this year

On the thread Uncontracted Players posted by Yoda, the following players are out of contract at this stage:=

Carlton, Troy Menzel.
Fremantle, Nat Fyfe.
G.W.S. Lachlan Plowman, Kristian Jacksch, Jon O'Rourke,
Port Adelaide, Tom Clurey.
West Coast. Andrew Gaff.

All young, all Victorians. Should have a go at some of them.

On the thread Uncontracted Players posted by Yoda, the following players are out of contract at this stage:=

Carlton, Troy Menzel.
Fremantle, Nat Fyfe.
G.W.S. Lachlan Plowman, Kristian Jacksch, Jon O'Rourke,
Port Adelaide, Tom Clurey.
West Coast. Andrew Gaff.

All young, all Victorians. Should have a go at some of them.

Menzal and Fyfe aren't Victorians but nonetheless all those players should be on our radar. Clurey, Gaff, O'Rourke, Plowman and Jaksch all very gettable IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back