List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
An idea that is really interesting in terms of drafting, and would be interesting if it came to the AFL

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-sacramento-kings-draft-gambit/

So pretty much the Sacremento Kings of the NBA have created a website where you submit a ranking of each draft prospect by position and explain your methodology as to how you got to your conclusion. The final two will then be on an 'advisory board' for the Kings will draft in the up coming drafts.

For fans, footy tragics and BF experts this could pose as fun project to rank each draft project (what Rahul is doing now i think with your Big Board?) and to see if you can get your submission recognized by an AFL club. It would also be a fantastic way to get your foot into the door of a footy club.

And it would be very beneficial for a club as well. There are lots of intelligent people in the greater football community (funnily enough, none of them go for Essendon) who could provide good, detailed and fresh insight to a scouting team. Perhaps the club wants to know more about WA prospects, suddenly they have a free contact there. And they will pretty much have 2 more minds working for the club for free. Why not I say.

Also I am picturing Uncle Barrels methodology and justification for his top 20 picks

'He is over 195cm...'

Last edited:
An idea that is really interesting in terms of drafting, and would be interesting if it came to the AFL

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-sacramento-kings-draft-gambit/

So pretty much the Sacremento Kings of the NBA have created a website where you submit a ranking of each draft prospect by position and explain your methodology as to how you got to your conclusion. The final two will then be on an 'advisory board' for the Kings will draft in the up coming drafts.

For fans, footy tragics and BF experts this could pose as fun project to rank each draft project (what Rahul is doing now i think with your Big Board?) and to see if you can get your submission recognized by an AFL club. It would also be a fantastic way to get your foot into the door of a footy club.

And it would be very beneficial for a club as well. There are lots of intelligent people in the greater football community (funnily enough, none of them go for Essendon) who could provide good, detailed and fresh insight to a scouting team. Perhaps the club wants to know more about WA prospects, suddenly they have a free contact there. And they will pretty much have 2 more minds working for the club for free. Why not I say.

Also I am picturing Uncle Barrels methodology and justification for his top 20 picks

'He is over 195cm...'

thier doing this so if the kid turns out to be a bust that they can turn around and say, you cant hate us and fire us, everyone wanted him

2016 to see improvement like Bulldogs... 2017 finals... 2018 challenge.
except draft, develop and trade much better than them thorugh the rebuild.

except draft, develop and trade much better than them thorugh the rebuild.
Dogs have done well, just need some key forwards and they'll be up there.

Dogs have stacked midfield prospects, but due to rebuilding at the wrong time, missed out on the elite KPP talent. Which is what we shouldnt be impacted by. I say we'll be in better shape over the long term.

The Dogs also had the benefit of Wallis+Lib a as father-son picks and a double dip on Stringer+ Macrae due to losing Ward to GWS.

That's 4 first round juniors for 2 first round picks and Ward.

We can't replicate that.

What we have to hope is that the Lee and Hickey deals work out.

I don't think Roughead and Talia and too bad of a combo, Talia probably more a third tall but

Yeah I like Membery a lot. Not sure on value though.

A third rounder is probably about right but no way the Swans take it. Probably more like our second for Membery and their 3rd?

Depending on where the Suns and Cats finish a 2 for 1 deal on our first for the Suns first plus compo could work too.
I doubt a 3rd would do it and can't see Sydney wanting any of our players. I would give up our second and maybe a upgrade of our 4th for their 3rd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be pretty good feeling if we somehow got the GWS/GC compos along with keeping our first and second rounder.

Assuming bottom three could have Pick 1/2/3, 16, 20 and 21/22/23 would be pretty good, i think a bit unlikely though.

Would be pretty good feeling if we somehow got the GWS/GC compos along with keeping our first and second rounder.

Assuming bottom three could have Pick 1/2/3, 16, 20 and 21/22/23 would be pretty good, i think a bit unlikely though.

thoeoritally this is how i would draft if we got 3,16,20,23
Pick 3- Patrick McCartin Monster forward (Roo replacement)
Pick 16- Peter Bampton Inside mid (Lenny Hayes replacement, also this might be the kid i follow this year)
Pick 20-Jesse Watchman monster Forward (just love what i have heard from people who has seen him, debatable if we need to take another KF if we are planning on trading for one of GWS kids)
Pick 23- Dylan Winton all around mid

Pick 3 (Phantom has him at 3)
Patrick McCartin (VIC - KPF)
Height: 193cm, Weight: 95kg, DOB: 19/04/1996
Recruited from: Geelong Falcons
Style: Alistair Lynch
Player comparison:
Range: 1-5
Profile: McCartin is an interesting case. He’s an absolute top end talent but has his health issues which complicates the analysis of his playing ability. McCartin has diabetes so he’s done exceptionally well to manage that to this point and adjust his diet and practices to allow it not to affect his football. As a result of this McCartin has been especially careful with his diet and his body and has developed a great level of professionalism towards his football. As a footballer McCartin is a strong unit for his age. He’s already shown that he can take over games both through the TAC Cup but also through the u18 champs. McCartin is an effective mark on the lead but his real point of difference is his ability to take 1v1 marks. He has incredible strength and can go to the goal square and take advantage of his direct opponent with his superior ability to read the drop of the ball and his superior strength and ability to take a grab. The major weakness in McCartin’s game at this point is his set shot goalkicking and it’s definitely a mental thing with him. I’ve never seen a key forward who likes a goal less than McCartin. He can shank those set shots more than most and quickly loses confidence in his kick and more often than not elects to go the unselfish option and find team mates in better positions but on the positive his field kicking is good and his vision finding those inside 50 targets is as good as you’ll see from a player of his type. He’ll also often opt to play on or snap instead of drop punt with his shots on goal understanding that his conversion from set shots is below average. As a smallish key forward I also hope McCartin develops a better ground level game as Roughead has to be better rounded and maximise his chances of becoming a dominant forward at the next level.

Pick 16 (Phantom has him at 17)
Peter Bampton (SA - Mid/Fwd)
Height: 182cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 15/04/1996
Recruited from: Norwood
Style:
Player comparison: Luke Dunstan
Range: 15-45
Profile: Bampton is a strong bodied inside midfielder and has a real hunger for the contest. He’s a big time contest ball winner and clearance winner. Bampton also has excellent endurance and is someone who will get to every contest and can provide a goalscoring threat through the midfield. He’s proven himself against senior competition and has continued his strong play against the stronger bodies and has more than held his own which is a strong indication that his play will hold up at the next level. Ready to play season one.

Pick 20 (Phantom has him at 18)
Jesse Watchman (SA – KPF/Ruck)
Height: 196cm, Weight: 91kg, DOB: 28/01/1996
Recruited from: West Adelaide
Style:
Player comparison: Josh Walker
Profile: Watchman is a tall, big bodied key forward who can also play some minutes in the ruck if required. Watchman is a natural key forward who attacks the ball well and can take a contested grab. He’s strong 1v1 and can win the contests when isolated deep in the front half. He reads the flight consistently and gets to the drop of the ball better than most. He’s reliable in front of goal and is a real volume goalkicker who can provide some real scoreboard impact.

Pick 23 (phantom has him at 25)
Dylan Winton (WA – Mid/Def)
Height: 190cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 27/07/1996
Recruited from: Peel Thunder
Style: David Mundy
Player comparison:
Profile: Winton is a tall, strong bodied midfielder who improved as the season progressed last season and can play wherever you need him. Late season he broke into the seniors for Peel Thunder and I expect we’ll see plenty more senior footy from Winton this coming year. He’s got some ability at his size. He’s a strong mark. Uses it well by foot. He’s not an athlete and doesn’t have a great deal of pace but he’s a smart runner who doesn’t require pace to cover the ground and you can trust him to run back in transition.

all from phantoms draft thread http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2014-phantom-draft.1060197/

Libba, Wallis, Macrae, Stringer, Bontempelli, Hunter, Hrovat in just the last couple years not doing much for you?

Jeez I'd love to have a couple of those names in our side.

Really? Some of them ( Bontempelli/Hrovat ) are only names. If you think they are better names than Dunstan, Acres, Billings, I disagree.

Really? Some of them ( Bontempelli/Hrovat ) are only names. If you think they are better names than Dunstan, Acres, Billings, I disagree.
add wallis to the junk list, libba was a f/s amd your left with stringer (will nevr be an A grader, macrae (break out year and well selected through ward compensation)

Well my thoughts

Libaa: Gun
Wallis: Average, isn't a very good kick hence why they seem to be making him a tagger now
Hrovat: Yet to prove himself at AFL level, did play some good matches last year
Stringer: So far average but he'll take a few years and will likely be a very good AFL player
Macrae: I like him, will be a beauty
Bontempelli: Seems a good VFL player, obviously his first year but yet to prove anything at AFL level
Hunter: Doesn't look too bad, but obviously they got him as a F/A which is a bit of an "advantage" considering we can't get any!! lol

But this is just my opposition look, probably not someone that should rate an opposition list. (Bulldogs fans my now pick on me.. :oops:) :D

Well my thoughts

Libaa: Gun
Wallis: Average, isn't a very good kick hence why they seem to be making him a tagger now
Hrovat: Yet to prove himself at AFL level, did play some good matches last year
Stringer: So far average but he'll take a few years and will likely be a very good AFL player
Macrae: I like him, will be a beauty
Bontempelli: Seems a good VFL player, obviously his first year but yet to prove anything at AFL level
Hunter: Doesn't look too bad, but obviously they got him as a F/A which is a bit of an "advantage" considering we can't get any!! lol

But this is just my opposition look, probably not someone that should rate an opposition list. (Bulldogs fans my now pick on me.. :oops:) :D

Exactly , how can we get excited about guys who have yet to show anything at AFL level. Its simple grass is greener on the other side mentality. We have plenty of green grass right now.

haha Stringer, if all goes to plan (i.e. reaches his potential), he'll be the best of the lot. Not his fault, he's played all his footy either at FF or at FB (the last couple of weeks). He's a gun inside mid type in the vein of Jobe Watson, JPK, except far more damaging by foot. He's the dangerfield type (he lost a lot of speed with his badly broken leg though). I was actually hoping we'd trade up in picks in that draft year, to snare him.

That being said, I'm more than happy with how we've done over the past couple of years. Absolutely stoked we got Billings, he was the guy I wanted all year.

Now, hopefully we can snare Shiel and either Patton/Boyd/Jaksch over the next year or two, to consolidate our rebuild and keep drafting best available.

Massive underselling of Stringer on here.

Broke his leg, missed a season, kicked 10 goals playing full forward when he came back.

Right now they are educating him. Same as we are with Acres, Curren etc. If he applies what he learns he (Stringer) will be a beast.

On picks - Not sure how we'd get those compo picks without giving up our first pick. I doubt GWS/GC would be giving up top 20 picks for the likes of Gilbert, Gwilt and Armo when they can just stockpile talent and trade up in the future.

They'll get Freo's first pick for McCarthy next year and keep skipping along...

On Membrey - He should get out of Sydney. Won't get games while Reid, Tippett and Buddy are there.

I not sure we would be interested though. We took both Murdoch and Saunders ahead of him so maybe he just doesnt fit into Pelchen and Trouts plans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back