List Mgmt. 2015 general list discussion and speculation - PLEASE START NEW THREAD ON BREAKING NEWS

How did you rate Geelong's trade and free agency period?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys, that helps.
I seem to recall awhile back Kersten being told by the coaches to study Jack Darling as that was the type of role they had in mind?

Victorian clubs are ready to pounce on home talent during the trade period, currently residing on Sydney and GWS's lists.

Tim Membry kicked 47 goals in his first season for Sydney's reserve side in the NEAFL, and so far has 33 off nine games this season. He stands at an awkward 188cm and 90 kg, and although not a key forward, is being heavily chased by Carlton and the Western Bulldogs with Geelong showing some interest.

Like Membery, Dean Towers is behind a long list of players who're currently ahead in the pecking order. Towers, a mature-age midfielder/forward blessed with speed and a terrific leap has drawn significant interest from St Kilda and Richmond.

GWS have a number of second to third year players, who've been earmarked to return home.

The highly regarded Kristian Jacksch has attracted interest from each Victorian-based club. Jacksch, a key position forward and defender finds himself behind a bevy of the Giants' big men, and would find greater opportunity back home in Victoria.

Former 2012 second overall selection and outside midfielder, Jonathan O'Rourke who has played just the three games has already singled his intentions to head home, and has been linked favourably to Collingwood, but would also attract plenty of interest from other clubs.

189cm, 86kg Matthew Buntine has attacked significant interest from both Geelong and Hawthorn is set to also be on the move. The 11-game defender was a former top five selection.

There could still be another Dom Tyson-esque surprise move, with Dylan Shiel, Jeremy Cameron and Jonathan Patton all linked to potential return's, however are all considered unlikely to move.

GWS however, aren't short of options either. The Giants have been linked to Collingwood defender, Jack Frost who is the older brother of the Giants' Sam.

Adelaide and Port Adelaide would be keeping tabs on former Glenelg youngster, now Collingwood player, Ben Kennedy who despite strong form in the VFL has struggled for opportunity in the senior side.

That's the article on Facebook, got no idea what his sources are so could be nothing in it

Hamling for Freo's Tanner Smith (KPD). It's Hamling's third year at Geelong and is yet to play a game. From what I've seen in the twos, seems that he'd be more of a third tall defender in the AFL. I reckon we've got that position covered for the next 2-3 years (Rivers this year and next year, Mackie in 2016 and Taylor 2017). We need a Tom Lonergan replacement soon. I don't think we should throw the kitchen sink at Frawley because 1) It'll either retire Lonergan early or push Rivers out of the club and 2) He's going to Hawthorn anyway. I don't know much about Tanner Smith except that he's a young KPD, is taller and more of a full back than Hamling? Plus, he's Victorian and Joel West Australian. Hamling has kicked a couple of bags in the twos before, maybe he's more of a forward? Freo are crying out for a key forward. Hawkins, Kersten, Vardy, even Walker are the key forwards that will, next year, be ahead of Hamling if he stays.

I do see the potential, and understand that he was a project player when we got him, but for him at Geelong, I just think the timing isn't right.

Adam Tomlinson is a guy that I'm really keen on although I'm sure he'd come with a hefty price tag (if available).
His teammate Kristian Jaksch probably wouldn't though.

Behind Tomlinson in his development (partly due to being a year behind Tomlinson) but similar build.

Jaksch can also play forward and back.

He'd be the Giant I'd be looking at.

From my recollection Membrey is a similar sort of player as Kersten.

That is, a leading forward who is a good kick at goals.

He might have expanded his game a bit in his time at the Swans .

Probably wasn't helped by the headline "...Could Be The Next Jack Darling"

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...und-one-in-draft/story-fnau1fjg-1226514700180

Thats the way I remember him sort of a very mature body but not overly tall.I did wonder if he could do it at AFL level? After all Ling was too short. Not sure why we would look at him unless its Menzel insurance.

Buntine is the more interesting one. Early pick and nice size for a multi role defender , Geelong and Haw both after him. Rivals for evermore

Anyone know much about Kersto's brother?
Nope- but this is what the South Fremantle website has on him (he plays for their colts side)
(In case you can't read the details: He's just turned 17. Height 193, Weight 89. "Tall forward who can play as a key forward or medium. Has a big kick on him and finds the goals regularly")

image.jpg

Tomlinson would be top of the list for me. Perfect fit and as a mobile CHF and top talent. Of course they be asking for a top 10 pick at least for him and we don't have one.

Problem with Shane's brother is that if Shane is any good we won't get a look in at him at the draft ala Menzel :(

Hamling for Freo's Tanner Smith (KPD). It's Hamling's third year at Geelong and is yet to play a game. From what I've seen in the twos, seems that he'd be more of a third tall defender in the AFL. I reckon we've got that position covered for the next 2-3 years (Rivers this year and next year, Mackie in 2016 and Taylor 2017). We need a Tom Lonergan replacement soon. I don't think we should throw the kitchen sink at Frawley because 1) It'll either retire Lonergan early or push Rivers out of the club and 2) He's going to Hawthorn anyway. I don't know much about Tanner Smith except that he's a young KPD, is taller and more of a full back than Hamling? Plus, he's Victorian and Joel West Australian. Hamling has kicked a couple of bags in the twos before, maybe he's more of a forward? Freo are crying out for a key forward. Hawkins, Kersten, Vardy, even Walker are the key forwards that will, next year, be ahead of Hamling if he stays.

I do see the potential, and understand that he was a project player when we got him, but for him at Geelong, I just think the timing isn't right.
Freemantle are crying out for a key forward?????? We are desperate beyond belief for a second key forward. Kersten can play as a third forward and Vardy is no guarantee to get back let alone to be any good. Hamling has some genuine potential if he can get a body on him. Would be absolutely stupid to throw him away now after all the work that has gone into him and he is a tall which we are desperate to find.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope- but this is what the South Fremantle website has on him (he plays for their colts side)
(In case you can't read the details: He's just turned 17. Height 193, Weight 89. "Tall forward who can play as a key forward or medium. Has a big kick on him and finds the goals regularly")

View attachment 62427
Thanks for that..
Was chatting with Mr Kersten and he said that they hope he can get to the Cats too!

Thanks for that..
Was chatting with Mr Kersten and he said that they hope he can get to the Cats too!
That would be great- then the whole family could move over east :)
South Freo have a few good kids- I think I've posted about Bailey Matera in another thread, then there's Matt Ah Sui and Brandon Rhodes, plus some promising young fellows from Peel and East Fremantle who I've watched play as juniors and who played a couple of levels above their age group at the time (in ability, that is). It'll be interesting to see if any of them get picked up at the end of the year.

Last edited:
Thanks for that..

If that is the case, do we take that to mean that S. Kersten isn't looking at leaving the club and wants to stay beyond this year?

If that is the case, do we take that to mean that S. Kersten isn't looking at leaving the club and wants to stay beyond this year?
I like this interpretation. I think it very much depends on what happens between now and October. I'm hopeful he will play at least half a dozen games and feel at home here.

I like this interpretation. I think it very much depends on what happens between now and October. I'm hopeful he will play at least half a dozen games and feel at home here.

Or during said half a dozen games he bags 20 goals and we get a good pick for him :thumbsu:

Prefer him to stay obviously, but it's in the clubs best interests, not just Shane's, that he gets some exposure.

His teammate Kristian Jaksch probably wouldn't though.

Behind Tomlinson in his development (partly due to being a year behind Tomlinson) but similar build.

Jaksch can also play forward and back.

He'd be the Giant I'd be looking at.

They'd ask for a first round pick for him, I am not sure that I'd give one up for him and we wouldn't be the only one going for him. I think they manly drafted Victorian players to avoid being ripped off when the kids want to go home, when a south Australian wants go home he only has two clubs, its easy to avoid a bidding war.

How much Cap space do we have available for end of 2014 ? or do we hang off until end of 2015 and offer Dangerfield the world ?

How much Cap space do we have available for end of 2014 ? or do we hang off until end of 2015 and offer Dangerfield the world ?
Some should be freed up at the end of this year due to Menzels reduction in contract size and and maybe a retirement or two. Could be more next year if Menz doesn't make it back plus you'd expect another 2-3 seniors to drop off at the end 2015.

I think we've got a bit. Remember we went after Shaw and Adams so its show's there's cash around.

They'd ask for a first round pick for him, I am not sure that I'd give one up for him and we wouldn't be the only one going for him. I think they manly drafted Victorian players to avoid being ripped off when the kids want to go home, when a south Australian wants go home he only has two clubs, its easy to avoid a bidding war.

The fact is ..unless a Brisbane situation occurs they will probably demand an R1 pick for any of their kids.

Buntine at 189 is not KPP but he would be a very versatile mid size, one would think if he was good enough he should be able to play in their side or any side. It was mentioned somewhere that GWS at trying to bed down their side now , with less changes so the guys in the best 25 or so can build a bank of 50 asap. To me this means Buntine should be gettable but he will probably cost us or R1 pick , (unless we can find a trade for them) , and at 189 would he add to our list as a defender? As a mid he would be ideal , but im under the impression he is a 3rd tall type?

As I said on the GWS board Geelong rarely get these deals done anyway , Cats V Hawks and off field they seem to win more often than us and they are after him my bet he ends up being a P&W. In spite of that its nice to see us putting our toe in the water. No harm in looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back