Preview 2016 Grand Final: Sydney Swans vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some more comfort for those of us with a statistical bent:
http://maxbarry.com/squiggle/

A win tomorrow would, on that measure anyone, be likely to send the 2016 Swans down as our greatest Premiership team of the modern era. Better defence than 2005 (indeed the best ever in the Squiggle time period), better attack than 2012.

Now I know that Grand Finals aren't played on paper, but if the boys come out and are anywhere near the best, that suggests there will be only one result tomorrow!

Carn the Swannies!!!

Yeah the way we've performed this year is the best ever for our club. We've had the same dominance of 2014, but with more toughness and consistency to do it every week (ie less cruise control footy than 14). We're basically like a hyper version of 2012, which is why we really have to take the flag now

Obviously blowing zero free kicks is the ultimate in consistency, but putting the whistle away generally works against the Swans who base their game around tackling pressure. In this game our opposition also play a similar style so it may not be such an issue. Interesting to see that two hard nut contested ball teams have such an enormous gap between free kick differential over the full season.
Agreed. Similar styles but different results from the umps. Who are our offenders and who are the players who wuz robbed? Who from the doggies gets the frees? Who are their offenders who give frees away?

I hope that there's a bravery worm throughout the broadcast, so we can see how brave both teams are?

Will there be a half time interview with Bob Murphy's knee?
This is a very good idea.

Unfortunately C7 producers will only be reading Bulldogs BF boards. Otherwise it would probably happen.

Last edited:
We're putting too much stock in the first quarter. Yeah we have to be on but the first quarter will mean nothing if we're only a few goals up at HT or 3QT
I hear you. But being in front by a couple would be better than being behind by a couple. Let's hope we are at least seven points up when the siren sounds at the end of the last quarter. That's where we want to be, irrespective of what the scores were at half time or three quarter time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay so there's a lot of apprehension on the board at the moment about tomorrow. Mostly posters seem pissed off at the lack of equality in media coverage especially amongst writers who do not particularly know much about the Swans.

I put it to the board that we know the Swans better than outside journalists so how about we start writing our own special comments about the team we love on this thread prior to tomorrows game.

For me I think that the centre clearances will play a big role in tomorrows outcome. With Naismith in the middle the Swans have shored up this obvious weakness as he gives our mids the opportunity to structure up more offensively. Swans have won so many more clearances and stoppage goals since he replaced Sinclair.

I am looking forward to watching Jack and Hanners tomorrow as i think if they can both fire off Kennedy's brute strength then it will help get the outcome we look for. Jack's quick side step through traffic and short passess inside 50 will be needed.

The defence I am not concerned about as they have worked incredibly well this year despite so called experts nominating the defence as Swans Achilles Heel. Reg and Rampe will curtail the entries and rebound as long as the mids cut off the short kicks inside 50 by bulldogs.

I am imcredibly proud of the Swans in having reached the grand final given the inexperience, the number of debutants this year. Whilst i want a win like all fans of both teams what i really want to see is tough ferocious tackling at the contest and that never say die attitude the Swans brought in 2005, 2012 and when beating teams in the home and away season when only having one fit rotation on the bench.

1. Where do others think the game will be won/lost?
2. Who has been the most impressive player this year who has performed beyond your expectations?
3. Who do you think will get Norm Smith?
4. Who will get the first goal?
5. Who will be the Swans best player?

the only thiing about the dogs is that they match up on us relatively well, what with decent speed. Regarding fast starts, I think that that wasn't really our thing until the last 2 finals, which blew that out of proportion. The doggies however I feel are also probably more resilient to an early lead, eg Hawthorn who they come down from ~4 goals down. If we get ~7 goals up, I'd feel safe, but that was kinda flukey, and on the bad geelong defence.

Good luck tomorrow Swannies, for chrissakes put Bambi out of her misery, this media saturation of all things Dogs is now beyond belief, last week I liked the dogs gutsy wins, but now its just so over the top, never have I seen anything like it, not even for any other side in Melb. On a lighter note, I reckon the guy who should present your cup, should you win, ought to be that old bloke with silver hair, who sings the club song in Sydney, he used to hang over the fence decades ago up there, SCG. I think his name is reg Williams, or something, a very loyal fan, seeing bobby skilton is ill, why not let ol Reg do it, hes earned the right, id say. ! Cheers, and good luck again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back