• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

bigman

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2004
All Parts
AFL Club
Adelaide
When is the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft?
The evening of Wednesday, June 2, in the week following round 11. Nominations for eligible players opens at 9am AEST on Monday, May 10 and close at 5pm AEST on Tuesday, May 25.

Watch all the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft picks LIVE and EXCLUSIVE on AFL.com.au
and the AFL Live Official App from 6.30pm AEST on Wednesday, June 2

Nicks today saying if the right player is there we may have up to 3 picks
In the mid season draft

he mentioned small forward role and quick midfielder as options they were focusing on

no mention of ruck

Last edited by a moderator:
So Geelong and Fremantle have opted to not take any picks in. Fremantle is fair enough, but Geelong is really surprising seeing their list profile.
Harder to find picks over 30 years of age....

Going one pick is so AFC. Shoot ourselves in the foot for no reason.

It's hardly shooting themselves in the foot. It's clearly a deliberate decision indicating that they don't rate this draft.

You and I might not agree, but that doesn't make them wrong. Having said that, I would have taken Callow first, followed by Davis. ;)

That said there is one almighty difference to this year's MSD....the chance to get an early crack at 19 year Olds who were overlooked in last year's draft through no fault of their own other than recruiters were reluctant to pull the trigger with the lack of 2020 Intel.

Hopefully they're the ones we focus on.
Surely with Gibbs and Stengle on the inactive list and Milera, Talia and Hinge unliley to play this year, we have 4 potential spots to fill, even if Murray is one of them.

What's the hard of giving ourselves the option, then if we don't use it all well and good. But what if things don't go as expected and we have 2 kids we like there? We're left hanging for no reason.

If we offered the club a free ticket for a 1 in 50,000 chance to win $1000, they'd probably turn it down.

Picking up Sanfl level players is also stupid unless your sole reason is to give a short term boost to the Sanfl squad.

Even then, are players going to be willing to be uprooted from their club for a short term gig in the crows reserves team?

Surely with Gibbs and Stengle on the inactive list and Milera, Talia and Hinge unliley to play this year, we have 4 potential spots to fill, even if Murray is one of them.

What's the hard of giving ourselves the option, then if we don't use it all well and good. But what if things don't go as expected and we have 2 kids we like there? We're left hanging for no reason.

If we offered the club a free ticket for a 1 in 50,000 chance to win $1000, they'd probably turn it down.

The good news is Dmac is a lock for the rest of the season. McPherson, Hamill and Jones can fight it out for one spot.

Picking up Sanfl level players is also stupid unless your sole reason is to give a short term boost to the Sanfl squad.

Even then, are players going to be willing to be uprooted from their club for a short term gig in the crows reserves team?

They will receive up to $80,000 to do it, so most would jump at that

We should take as many players as we can in the MSD.

We could find a decent player - we have a pretty good track record of finding decent players in the PSD.

An added bonus is the 3 or 4 extra players mean 3 or 4 less top up players in our reserves team, this helps our existing players.

Another bonus is it will upset the no AFL in SANFL brigade, with a bit of luck each SANFL club will lose two players - would be delicious!!

If I was to take an opposing view for the exercise. You need to factor in opportunity cost in terms of development resources and not being able to roll whatever cap is spent forward or front loading deals. Once this is done, you assess the likelihood of the available players doing enough at training and in the SANFL to push them in front of what we think will be available in the next draft with our next picks. It's not like we'd be taking a Stengle that comes in and averages 2 goals per game and cements themselves in the best 22. We wouldn't be drafting anyone with a hope of playing 1s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I give up. Chance to get a look at 3 kids early and we pass to take 1. This club has reached the stage where I'm really starting to get totally pissed off with it. We let chance after chance to improve go begging. We'll fart around in the ND later this year, ending up taking more injured project players like we usually do. Gives me the SH*Ts.

Agree with this , our defence mainly stands up unless the ball movement is too unpressured from up the field , quite often starting in our forward line and its lack of pressure

Couldn't agree more. A lot of it starts from conceding pressureless exits from our F50. The mids are given no hope to defend between the arcs. This has been a problem for ages but the counter argument has always been to simply look at our points for as if that area operates in a vacuum. You get away with it when your mids are on top and you're rebounding fast. But when the mids are being choked and your bailing out into the 50 you get smoked.

We've been playing too slow up forward for a while but it's better now. And that's before you worry about whether you've got a CC or not. I've always thought the lightning quick defensive forward role was an excuse for carrying too many pressureless forwards and lack of quality users and decision makers delivering into the 50. It's almost like the instruction is, "the delivery to these guys will be shit and they're as slow as **** when it comes to ground ball. Your job is to run around at Mach 2 like a maniac and cover for those weaknesses."

Why don't we just move past the severe limitations that our current midfield triumvate impose upon us and never, ever play so many slow forwards.

I would’ve liked to take two picks in, but I can understand the rationale behind only taking one selection. It leaves us in a sticky situation list-management wise at the end of the year if we take three guys who all opt for 18-month contracts, for instance - probably leaves not enough guys to cut on the list

I would’ve liked to take two picks in, but I can understand the rationale behind only taking one selection. It leaves us in a sticky situation list-management wise at the end of the year if we take three guys who all opt for 18-month contracts, for instance - probably leaves not enough guys to cut on the list
Whatever the case, the club needs to explain to its members/supporters why we passed up the opportunity to draft (try out) 2-3 players, instead of 1. I think we deserve to know. I'm quietly frustrated.

Wouldn’t be opposed to taking the hawks VFL mid on 3 years if we rate him given he has something a bit different . While I like Olly Davis it’s a firm no from me given we have plenty of similar hard working contested mid types that are average kicks and lack burst speed

Whatever the case, the club needs to explain to its members/supporters why we passed up the opportunity to draft (try out) 2-3 players, instead of 1. I think we deserve to know. I'm quietly frustrated.
It's not complicated. Either they don't rate anyone they can get on a 6 month deal or we've packed our salary cap so tight we can't afford it.

I counted nine to delist at the end of the season, browsing last night. Some were borderline but we have to learn to be ruthless. Right now we are pussy cats.

Remove this Banner Ad

2021 Mid season draft (June 2nd)

Back