List Mgmt. 2021 Trade & List Management Thread II - IN: CCJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People have been quick to assume the Macpherson deal is 19 for a future 3rd rounder, but given his contract only runs another year and we are keen to get into this year’s draft, I wonder whether it might actually be a future second? I’d have thought they could get a better deal than our future 3rd. Then again, I suspect it has to be a VIC club with cap space which narrows it down a bit….

My guess is it goes something like this

In: Macpherson, 19, Future 3rd (GC)
Out: Future 2nd

future 3rd or we don't pay any of his wage.
They still need the list spot.
Pay the full wage if we get a draft pick improvement.
Tend to agree but with that we still have to be smart they could easily turn around and offer it to someone else. Pick 19 could and will be very valuable one would think. We just need to play it smart. I would imagine the people in charge will know how to play it right.

I feel for the kid if this is the case. Imagine being a player that your club paid to get off their books, and your new club is just waiting to delist you or pay to retire. Good coin, yes, but could be devastating to a young person.

I don't know enough about him to judge. But if anyone wants to give me half a million for that indignity then where do I sign up? :stern look

I can see us doing that trade for a future 3rd if we thought he was dead weight. But, as Fluffy said, our list space is tight. I think it would be pretty harsh to tell someone like Dumont or Atley that they have no future at the club... but we are going to give half a million to someone for a year to sit on the list so we can bring a 2022 pick forward and upgrade it a few places.

My gut feel is they think they have a strong chance of turning the kid around so we get the added benefit of the pick and a refurbished player. It would be pretty cold to boot a loyal player for something minor.

I could be wrong. But if memory serves me correctly, Didn’t Macpherson do a ACL after his break out season?
Negative. Had a fracture in his leg in the 2018 season. Missed most of the year with that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t see how if it’s a salary dump it’s not a future third.

Future 2nd would still be comfortably in our favour. If we don’t finish bottom again (and I don’t expect us to), our 2022 2nd will be later than 19, and 19+20 this year will be worth more than the sum of their parts as live trading chips. And McPherson might even be able to play.

Every decision the new administration makes appears to place us slightly ahead of the curve in my opinion.
1. We trade out Ben Brown and then we don't take Logan Mcdonanld and get unfairly battered for it, but only 6 months later we nab a potential top 10 draft pick in Jacob Edwards for nothing and sign CCJ for approx. pick 40.
2. Keep a heap of salary cap free which we are able to leverage into an improved draft position with what i think is a simply brilliant piece of trading should it come off. McPherson is a high pressure, high tackling small forward and a good citizen, we don't have many small forwards and he may be able to fill a void for a season or two.
3. The Stevo deal was pure genius, it's been well documented but our ability to make that deal was another great piece of work.
4. The Lachie Young deal seemed to exploit a loop hole in the rules that no one knew about, not sure he's going to make it but its another example of being ahead of the game.

I am very interested to see what they do with picks 19 and 20. The lads are on fire at the moment.

Every decision the new administration makes appears to place us slightly ahead of the curve in my opinion.
1. We trade out Ben Brown and then we don't take Logan Mcdonanld and get unfairly battered for it, but only 6 months later we nab a potential top 10 draft pick in Jacob Edwards for nothing and sign CCJ for approx. pick 40.
2. Keep a heap of salary cap free which we are able to leverage into an improved draft position with what i think is a simply brilliant piece of trading should it come off. McPherson is a high pressure, high tackling small forward and a good citizen, we don't have many small forwards and he may be able to fill a void for a season or two.
3. The Stevo deal was pure genius, it's been well documented but our ability to make that deal was another great piece of work.
4. The Lachie Young deal seemed to exploit a loop hole in the rules that no one knew about, not sure he's going to make it but its another example of being ahead of the game.

I am very interested to see what they do with picks 19 and 20. The lads are on fire at the moment.

And I would like one more shake of the tree to see if the cap forces anyone else out... who is there that is tight Coll, certainly mention not out of the woods, syd but losing Dawson might have relieved theirs

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

we are getting 19 for paying $500k to McPherson and freeing up list spot at gold coast, it has to be a future 3rd, unless we think McPherson played really well against us once, and may do it again.
Who knows that macpherson wasnt on our radar already? Its a good deal, and clever list management. If they can pull it off for a future 3rd then Brady walks on water

And I would like one more shake of the tree to see if the cap forces anyone else out... who is there that is tight Coll, certainly mention not out of the woods, syd but losing Dawson might have relieved theirs

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Carlton obviously don't have a cap and would not have anyone we want that they would be willing to let go. Geelong the same.

The other shake of the tree is pick trading...as someone mentioned, these compo picks have dropped Collingwood below 1600 points and will be in deficit.

There is a distinct possibility MacPherson spend more than a couple years on our list.

I don't know enough about him to judge. But if anyone wants to give me half a million for that indignity then where do I sign up? :stern look

I can see us doing that trade for a future 3rd if we thought he was dead weight. But, as Fluffy said, our list space is tight. I think it would be pretty harsh to tell someone like Dumont or Atley that they have no future at the club... but we are going to give half a million to someone for a year to sit on the list so we can bring a 2022 pick forward and upgrade it a few places.

My gut feel is they think they have a strong chance of turning the kid around so we get the added benefit of the pick and a refurbished player. It would be pretty cold to boot a loyal player for something minor.
Not only that, but such a trade says to a young player like Mahoney ....I know we gave you alot of games to develop this year but we actually believe THE ZIEBELL and we think you are crap and we are going to bring in a bloke who cant get a kick at the Gold Coast to take your spot because he played a few good games 3 years ago.

Essendon is eyeing multiple picks inside the top 25 of the draft, believing there’s a large group of talented players in the back half of the first round.

It could require them to trade down from pick 11 to acquire multiple selections, given they don’t have another pick until 48, and there are no notable players seeking trades away from the Bombers who would warrant a top-25 pick in return.

“The work that Rob Forster (national recruiting manager), Adrian Dodoro (list manager), and I have done on the draft, we’d like to have a few more picks,” Essendon GM of footy Josh Mahoney told 3AW’s Sportsday.

“We’ll try to get involved in some potential opportunities there.

“We think there’s a good group of players between the 10-25 (pick) mark, so if we can get a few players through that, I think it can add to the three first-rounders we brought in last year.”

Three clubs have two top-25 selections that both sit below Essendon’s pick 11 - Brisbane (14 and 18), Gold Coast (19 and 22) and Hawthorn (21 and 24).

The Bombers selected three players in the first round of last year’s draft - for the first time in club history - adding Archie Perkins, Nik Cox and Zach Reid

Essendon is eyeing multiple picks inside the top 25 of the draft, believing there’s a large group of talented players in the back half of the first round.

It could require them to trade down from pick 11 to acquire multiple selections, given they don’t have another pick until 48, and there are no notable players seeking trades away from the Bombers who would warrant a top-25 pick in return.

“The work that Rob Forster (national recruiting manager), Adrian Dodoro (list manager), and I have done on the draft, we’d like to have a few more picks,” Essendon GM of footy Josh Mahoney told 3AW’s Sportsday.

“We’ll try to get involved in some potential opportunities there.

“We think there’s a good group of players between the 10-25 (pick) mark, so if we can get a few players through that, I think it can add to the three first-rounders we brought in last year.”

Three clubs have two top-25 selections that both sit below Essendon’s pick 11 - Brisbane (14 and 18), Gold Coast (19 and 22) and Hawthorn (21 and 24).

The Bombers selected three players in the first round of last year’s draft - for the first time in club history - adding Archie Perkins, Nik Cox and Zach Reid
11 for 19 and 20 doesn't seem quite worth it for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back