• trade back in with a future second for someone else

• only take MM and keep the other spot for PSD/rookie

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our draft haul:

Pick 17 - Max Michalanney (matched F/S)
Pick 43 - Billy Dowling
Pick 50 - Hugh Bond

Rookie Pick 5 - Andrew McPherson (re-listed)
Rookie Pick 21 - Paul Seedsman (re-listed)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mids, Mids and more Mids. Would love to get another first rounder but struggle to think of any of our players who would be worth that currency.
If we pick up Max as father son, wonder what Doedee gets us. If it’s 2 firsts (1 top 10 and a later one). I’d me interested.
We have so many holes on our list, it’s crazy

If we pick up Max as father son, wonder what Doedee gets us. If it’s 2 firsts (1 top 10 and a later one). I’d me interested.

I dont think outside our club that Doedee is rated that highly. He's starting his 7th season and he's only played 53 games. Jordan Dawson taken in same draft as Doedee has played more games and was traded for a very late first rounder. A second rounder is probably Doedee's worth on the market.

I read some article the other day, Clarkson when he was in charge at hawthorn did not allow them to draft anyone that was a bad kick of the football, no matter how good they were in other areas of the game, we really need to follow the same mantra, too many players in our current team that can’t kick reliably.

Drafted James Worpel while Clarko was there.....

IMPROVEMENTS

• Kicking
  • Agility
Worpel has two glaring improvements which hinder him from going to the next level. The cause for concern with his game is his kicking which as previously mentioned is poor, even for an inside midfielder. But rather than just quote the stats, there are technical aspects to his low efficiency. Most of his kicks often come under pressure, or when he does win the ball, sometimes his kicking action sees him off balance and he puts too much of an emphasis on penetration rather than trying to hit up an easier target. But putting an emphasis on penetration, he leans back on his kick, forcing it to loop or float which enables opponents to have a greater chance of spoiling, or getting to the ball drop. If he can take an extra second or two to put more emphasis on placement rather than penetration I dare say his kicking will improve.

I dont think outside our club that Doedee is rated that highly. He's starting his 7th season and he's only played 53 games. Jordan Dawson taken in same draft as Doedee has played more games and was traded for a very late first rounder. A second rounder is probably Doedee's worth on the market.
Won't matter, he won't be put on the trade table.

Doedee, another first round pick thats playing in the back pocket.
I like him and would love to see him in the midfield but he is wasted in the back pocket.
Back pocket players rarely get you a first round pick, let alone 2

I read some article the other day, Clarkson when he was in charge at hawthorn did not allow them to draft anyone that was a bad kick of the football, no matter how good they were in other areas of the game, we really need to follow the same mantra, too many players in our current team that can’t kick reliably.

Clarkson doesn’t/didn’t have authority over drafting. He didn’t “allow” them to do anything

I’m sure he argues persuasively and was a massive driver of the culture so that this was the overarching set of values

I get that this sounds the same but it’s not. Coaches don’t have authority in drafting (thankfully).

Clarkson doesn’t/didn’t have authority over drafting. He didn’t “allow” them to do anything

I’m sure he argues persuasively and was a massive driver of the culture so that this was the overarching set of values

I get that this sounds the same but it’s not. Coaches don’t have authority in drafting (thankfully).
This is from a Hawthorn scout (long way down the totem pole so fwiw)

Clarkson had three non-negotiables he wanted the drafters/recruiters to abide by. He never told them which players they should draft or got involved at that level however the three non-negotiables were

Kicking
Competitiveness (needed to be hard c units)
Character (hard workers, coachable, team oriented)

If a player ended up at the Hawks who didn't fit the criteria eg kicking was iffy the drafters would get absolutely roasted by Clarkson. Staff right down to the volunteer level were scared shitless of drafting the wrong type of player.

This came from low down the chain of command so potential for exaggerations, half truths etc but it was their perspective

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is from a Hawthorn scout (long way down the totem pole so fwiw)

Clarkson had three non-negotiables he wanted the drafters/recruiters to abide by. He never told them which players they should draft or got involved at that level however the three non-negotiables were

Kicking
Competitiveness (needed to be hard c units)
Character (hard workers, coachable, team oriented)

If a player ended up at the Hawks who didn't fit the criteria eg kicking was iffy the drafters would get absolutely roasted by Clarkson. Staff right down to the volunteer level were scared shitless of drafting the wrong type of player.

This came from low down the chain of command so potential for exaggerations, half truths etc but it was their perspective
And given the list and game plan makes sense

A picture of the players from the draft was posted, you posted their draft positions, why?
I didn't post the pic.Gallucci is the only player that was a 1st round pick the others 3rd round onwards and IMO Gallucci's problem wasn't so much lack of talent, it appears he wasn't prepared to work hard enough or accept feedback performance wise. Probably the only year the recruiting guys haven't managed to find a pretty decent player with a later/rookie pick.

I didn't post the pic.Gallucci is the only player that was a 1st round pick the others 3rd round onwards and IMO Gallucci's problem wasn't so much lack of talent, it appears he wasn't prepared to work hard enough or accept feedback performance wise. Probably the only year the recruiting guys haven't managed to find a pretty decent player with a later/rookie pick.
I know you didn't post the pic, the question was why you posted their draft positions which you have since answered. It was basically an attempt to deflect away from Hamish's abysmal draft performance that year.

I know you didn't post the pic, the question was why you posted their draft positions which you have since answered. It was basically an attempt to deflect away from Hamish's abysmal draft performance that year.
Can't always pick diamonds out of the rough...The only real big fail there is Gallucci and how we came to pick him has been discussed plenty in the past.
Gallucci went around the mark he was predicted to go....he was the midfielder around that point in the draft with genuine speed on offer which apparently was Pyke's wish. And like I said I really don't think lack of talent was the reason he failed to live up to what you may expect from later 1st round pick. He seemed to tick the "character" assessment box being an AFL Academy member, Captaining the Eastern Ranges TAC Cup and Co-Captaining Vic Metro's U16's team.

Can't always pick diamonds out of the rough...The only real big fail there is Gallucci and how we came to pick him has been discussed plenty in the past.
Gallucci went around the mark he was predicted to go....he was the midfielder around that point in the draft with genuine speed on offer which apparently was Pyke's wish. And like I said I really don't think lack of talent was the reason he failed to live up to what you may expect from later 1st round pick. He seemed to tick the "character" assessment box being an AFL Academy member, Captaining the Eastern Ranges TAC Cup and Co-Captaining Vic Metro's U16's team.
Add Gallucci to Hamish's history of mediocre to poor first round picks. We need a fresh set of eyes and drafting philosophy.

Early doors this season but it might be needed that we look to trade our 2023 1st into this draft to try and flesh out the high end picks we have already taken to try and speed things up a bit. If we have another lean year and a bottom 4 finish, there might be a number of takers for that future pick. I like Max Michalanney as player - Rostervor boy and has real poise. I think would be a good addition to our list. Then if we end up with 2 firsts - say a top 4 and a pick between 8-12 (hopefully from trading our future 1st and wheeling and dealing it if needs be), grab the best mid in the draft and then go again.

Are there any needs based players that we would have a good chance of trading for coming out of contract this year? - we know Luko and Rankine currently are out as is Dunkley but who else and are they gettable?. Whatever happens at the end of this year, we need to be really aggressive both at the trade table and the draft to put more high end players around the kids we currently have

Early doors this season but it might be needed that we look to trade our 2023 1st into this draft to try and flesh out the high end picks we have already taken to try and speed things up a bit. If we have another lean year and a bottom 4 finish, there might be a number of takers for that future pick. I like Max Michalanney as player - Rostervor boy and has real poise. I think would be a good addition to our list. Then if we end up with 2 firsts - say a top 4 and a pick between 8-12 (hopefully from trading our future 1st and wheeling and dealing it if needs be), grab the best mid in the draft and then go again.

Are there any needs based players that we would have a good chance of trading for coming out of contract this year? - we know Luko and Rankine currently are out as is Dunkley but who else and are they gettable?. Whatever happens at the end of this year, we need to be really aggressive both at the trade table and the draft to put more high end players around the kids we currently have
I would be hesitant to trade out future picks now having watched the first two rounds.
Might be two steps back to go forward required and whilst in principal yes it would be good to have multiple elite talents coming through this offseason, the risk is end of next year we are still bottom 4 and we miss out on a sure fire gun that is better than this year's trade in.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2022 AFL Draft Discussion

Back