Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated list position

1669782556976.png

And 2024 as it stands

1669783458008-png.1564958

Last edited:
I'm not sure we really tried that hard on JHF. We basically said we found out he might be wanting to return home, had some chats but Port were further down the track. And I believe he wanted Port because their offer wasa better.

Also think for a club that's sitting 14th, it shouldn't be that hard to identify more than one player to improve our list. Given the lack of turn over I'm hoping we believe we're ready to start winning more games and pushing for a spot in the 8.
His step-father being one of the (if not the #1) biggest influences in his life - and being an ex-Port player - may have had something to do with it?

I suspect he had about as much interest in playing for Adelaide as Rankine did in playing for Port - i.e. none whatsoever.

i guess at this point the hope can only be that matt crouch has one hell of a pre season and gets into the best condition of his career. hopefully he's insulted by the lack of interest
Yea I’ve been in this boat for a few days actually. What if he actually gets back to near his best form. We’ve literally got no one else in the midfield. Imo the thing that he lost was his spacial awareness and evasiveness around the contest, which basically meant he was none effective when he got the ball. His disposal was sideways and backwards instead of holding it and then releasing and setting up someone in better positions.

Yea I’ve been in this boat for a few days actually. What if he actually gets back to near his best form. We’ve literally got no one else in the midfield. Imo the thing that he lost was his spacial awareness and evasiveness around the contest, which basically meant he was none effective when he got the ball. His disposal was sideways and backwards instead of holding it and then releasing and setting up someone in better positions.

His type of player no longer holds much value. Look at Tom Mitchell and how hard it was for the Hawks to get rid of him - and he's a former Brownlow Medalist.

Soligo,Taylor,Schoenberg,Berry,Rachele,Pedlar,Keayes,Laird,Rankine and even Hately are all better options.

Crouch has no idea what he is doing wrong.
I feel for him a bit,because up until the half way mark of this past season I don't believe our Coaching group had any idea what he was doing wrong either. Still not convinced they do at this stage.

Oh he does know ......he changed back to a more direct game, after his dropping in 2021 .....looked so much better too

But this year, his lack of pace and a right side .....he just couldn't get free of opposition ...hence the chipping again and dinky handballs, selling teammates into trouble ......but he was trying to play Nicks way

His type of player no longer holds much value. Look at Tom Mitchell and how hard it was for the Hawks to get rid of him - and he's a former Brownlow Medalist.
Footy continually evolving, heard a talk from Burgess a while back where he saw further reduction on interchanges being allowed. Imo will benefit teams with players adaptable to mid/fwd/def rotations taking place on field, players like Rankine,Rachele, Daicos, JHF are gold and why I wanted Phillipou but will settle for E Hollands down the track.
As you say the one trick ponies like Mitchell and Mcrouch who both need to change off the bench days are almost gone.

despite this hes also too slow which means his decision making is always under pressure putting others under heat.

pies supporters are upbeat today about getting mitchell will soon realise he not in their best 22 either

Footy continually evolving, heard a talk from Burgess a while back where he saw further reduction on interchanges being allowed. Imo will benefit teams with players adaptable to mid/fwd/def rotations taking place on field, players like Rankine,Rachele, Daicos, JHF are gold and why I wanted Phillipou but will settle for E Hollands down the track.
As you say the one trick ponies like Mitchell and Mcrouch who both need to change off the bench days are almost gone.
Which is why, the AFL continually changing the rules on Interchange numbers .....like the proposed 4 to 5 ....stuffs up Clubs List Management & Drafting plans

How can you plan, when the AFL are changing rules every 5 minutes ......it's amateurish !

Soligo,Taylor,Schoenberg,Berry,Rachele,Pedlar,Keayes,Laird,Rankine and even Hately are all better options.

I feel for him a bit,because up until the half way mark of this past season I don't believe our Coaching group had any idea what he was doing wrong either. Still not convinced they do at this stage.

Of cause he knows what he is doing wrong however part of the issue is the game has changed and he is unable to change his game to align with the modern game

The 6-6-6 rule requires kids to be better defensively when they don’t have the footy and to be more explosive when they do have the footy

Marty just doesn’t have these traits

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Of cause he knows what he is doing wrong however part of the issue is the game has changed and he is unable to change his game to align with the modern game

The 6-6-6 rule requires kids to be better defensively when they don’t have the footy and to be more explosive when they do have the footy

He would be confused as to why they picked him for the first part of the season then.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah Im sure hes been told what he's doing wrong but he sounded fairly oblivious and defiant in the interviews I heard after his final dropping. Didn't see much modification, or attempt at modifying his game when he was playing in the SANFL either. Same sit behind ball, rack up cheap stats and either give off a hot potato by hand or dinky left with little thought of where it ends up,then trot up to the next stoppage like a proud Jack Russell rinse and repeat.

Maybe his body just isnt capable of change or he is too slow for modern AFL, but I think the required change to his game style comes from upstairs and he should be able to execute at SANFL level either way.I feel simply being told something and actually comprehending/putting into practice what it is he's being told are 2 different things.

Oh he does know ......he changed back to a more direct game, after his dropping in 2021 .....looked so much better too

But this year, his lack of pace and a right side .....he just couldn't get free of opposition ...hence the chipping again and dinky handballs, selling teammates into trouble ......but he was trying to play Nicks way

Curious.How do you think the way he was playing translates to Nicks gameplan?

Curious.How do you think the way he was playing translates to Nicks gameplan?
In 2021 after dropping .....or this year ?

In 2021 after coming back from a stint in the SANFL .....his kick to handball ratio changed dramatically, and all his kicks / handballs were fwd, not sideways

The game is changing back to the way it's always been played ......fast direct footy, and get it to the fwds ASAP ......this is why Rankine as a Mid possibility is so exciting ....and Crouch isn't

We might even see more of the stay at home Full Forward, which would be great

In 2021 after dropping .....or this year ?

In 2021 after coming back from a stint in the SANFL .....his kick to handball ratio changed dramatically, and all his kicks / handballs were fwd, not sideways

The game is changing back to the way it's always been played ......fast direct footy, and get it to the fwds ASAP ......this is why Rankine as a Mid possibility is so exciting ....and Crouch isn't

We might even see more of the stay at home Full Forward, which would be great

Ah, sorry I thought you were saying he was trying to play the Nicks way @ the time he was dropped this year.

Ah, sorry I thought you were saying he was trying to play the Nicks way @ the time he was dropped this year.
Hell no ....Crouch reverted back to his normal crabbing style

I'm not sure we really tried that hard on JHF. We basically said we found out he might be wanting to return home, had some chats but Port were further down the track. And I believe he wanted Port because their offer wasa better.

Also think for a club that's sitting 14th, it shouldn't be that hard to identify more than one player to improve our list. Given the lack of turn over I'm hoping we believe we're ready to start winning more games and pushing for a spot in the 8.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. I suspect our lack of turnover is just due to how aggressively we burned our list down in the last three years.

For the majority, our resignings this year have been kids who could be something.

It will be interesting who get cut as free agents in the next few days. Is Caleb Poulter unsigned still. Worth a look at if we can make a spot available.

Salary was a big part of that...how much of his salary are the Hawks ponying up.

Scorpus I’ve tried to get my head around your table and options.

So we have to delist Rowe and Davis to be able to use our 2 picks, upgrade Butts, Strachan, retain Borlase and Newchurch? Fe

If we want to grab a DFA we need to delist a contracted player?

I dislike posts such as these - how do you know we didn't try to move them on but didn't have any takers?

And if the argument is that they shouldn't have been contacted as long as they were, Crouch was a Club Champion who had injury concerns and the club gave him a discounted 2 year deal, Sholl was a two time Rising Star nominee who looked quite good at the start of last year and this year, and McAsey is a young tall we all thought may have bailed after his initial contract.

I don't think there is a huge issue with these guys being offered what they were.

As it stands if none are on our list next year I don't think anyone will be too upset, but to have them on the list in the first place was the right call.

It just shows how little opposition clubs rate Matt and his inability to defend, or hurt the opposition with his possessions
We picked the wrong Crouch they are both so so players but we got pick 23 for B Crouch if we got similar for Matt we would be signing on before the ink dry's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back