Preview 2022 Round 3 Carlton vs Hawthorn Sunday April 3rd 1.10PM @ MCG - Team Post #1413

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we have the best midfield group from the last 30 years running around right now. I recall Simpson Murphy Gibbs Carrazzo and Kreuzer being our best. This group is insane. Hawthorn will give up the centre all game according to what port did. But we have Charlie TDK and McKay to kick to. If we ensure we leave a spare behind the ball. Maybe pitto sits about 60-70 out while McGovern covers the other wing. We should win by 10+ goals. If they allow our midfield that much dominance and that many inside 50s it’s a sure thing.
Bradles, Kouta, Diesel and Ratten went ok, supported by Camporeale and Fraser Brown, with Hanna on the wing.

I know this isn’t about their returns to the 22 for Sunday (although we expect it) but I like this new thing where we are announcing certain players in the 22 before the team is announced. Doc and Walsh were announced as Round 1 and Round 2 starters before the team was announced for those rounds.

While people point out the Port game, just remember that they struggled to put away North.

Who in turn struggled to put away the Joondalup Under 12s.

In: Martin, Cerra, Newnes
Out: Fogarty, Owies, Plowman/McDonald

B: Newnes---------------Weitering--------------Newman

H: Williams---------------McGovern---------------Saad

C: Docherty---------------Cripps-----------------O'Brien

H: Silvagni----------------C.Curnow--------------Martin

F: Durdin------------------McKay-----------------Fisher

Foll: Pittonet, Walsh, Hewett

Bench: De Koning, Kennedy, Cerra, Setterfield

Sub: Dow

Here he is.

Cerra on the bench 😂

I'm not even sure why you post anymore...

McEvoy spending time forward too with Neeves rucking...and he's good in the air and quite accurate kicking for goal.

So McEvoy/Lewis/Gunston are their 3 talls.

Weitering will go to Lewis.

On size, OMac/Young to McEvoy makes sense, with the more mobile Gov on Gunston. The issue with that is Gunston is the most experienced and dangerous forward out of that group, so it's a risk putting Gov on him given he's our interceptor and also it's his 3rd game in defence. But I think that's how we'll have to go.
It will be a nice test for McGov early in his move to defence.
If Gunston kicks 2 or 3 but McGov's intercepts and passes out of defence are up to scratch, I will be very content.

Do we have the best midfield group from the last 30 years running around right now. I recall Simpson Murphy Gibbs Carrazzo and Kreuzer being our best. This group is insane. Hawthorn will give up the centre all game according to what port did. But we have Charlie TDK and McKay to kick to. If we ensure we leave a spare behind the ball. Maybe pitto sits about 60-70 out while McGovern covers the other wing. We should win by 10+ goals. If they allow our midfield that much dominance and that many inside 50s it’s a sure thing.
The Hawks are also on a high with the new coach/new system....they did get a weakened Port team weakened by their previous Lions clash..
They were already competitive late last season,truth would be we dont know how effective they might be and or astute in countering our system..

Correct !!....maybe Durdin out Fog stays in

Game Changers Handshake GIF by Carlton Football Club

I suspect young comes in for McDonald. Setters has not done anything wrong but I think he's out for terra and fog is out for Martin. I want TDK in the side cause he brings the ball to ground and its a real weapon of our forward that is gonna be needed against the intercepting hawks. Don't get rid of your strengths

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 3 Side

B: McGovern, Young, Newman
HB: Docherty, Weitering, Saad
C: Setterfield, Cripps, Walsh
HF: Silvagni, C.Curnow, Durdin
F: Owies, McKay, De Koning
R: Pittonet, Kennedy, Cerra
IC: Hewett, Martin, O'Brien, Williams
Sub: Fisher

IN: Young, Cerra, Martin
Out: McDonald, Fisher, Fogarty.

Notes:
  • Williams is lucky to survive the chop. Didn't want go when it was his turn at times the against the Doggies and his defensive efforts were pretty much non-existent. Can consider himself to be on notice. I concur with LemmingMaster here.
  • McGovern had 13 disposals at 92% efficiency yet had 5 clangers. Can someone please explain how that works??? Decision-making and execution when under pressure or when suffering a bout of indecision is a concern. I remain to be convinced about Gov's viability as a quality defender. I'd still prefer to have Kemp here.
  • Can't carry all of Martin, Fisher and O'Brien whose defensive capabilities can all be questioned when the heat is on.
  • Even if he can prove his fitness there are some basics McDonald needs to work on. Giving himself enough room from the man on the mark to effectively dispose of the ball by foot is an example and the general quality of his kicking is another.
General Observations:
  • Consistent defensive pressure through the front half and middle of the ground while keeping the ball locked in our F50 for long periods will be the key to winning this match.
  • Hawks are a young, skinny side so I'd like to see us up the tackle numbers and make sure they're applied with genuine intent so they hurt.
  • Would like to see Saad take a ping within range as he's a genuine impact player and perhaps overdoing the team-first spirit a little. I'm sure the correct balance will come into alignment as the season continues.
This is a game we should win, but have had a habit of dropping over the last decade. We have a big, powerful and brutal midfield now so there can be no excuses anymore. This is a good opportunity for Voss & Hansen to show us how consistently we can turn up and implement the new game plan to be competitive every week.

Provided we front up switched on and turn the screws hard the Bluebaggers ease away by 12 goals.

Dingus of the week.

Weitering held Lynch to 1 goal (not counting the push in the back not paid in goalsquare goal.) 3marks.
Weitering held Naughton to 1 goal, 3marks.

Yet Mitch Lewis who has kicked a few against Norf and a severely undermanned Port will dominate an AA FB, LOL.
Lewis is a scrub. Hasn't actually played on a defender this year. Can't wait for weiters to teach him what it means to earn an AFL goal.

Fog, Oscar and Setterfield out for Cerra, Martin and Lewis Young.
Setterfield to be the sub.
There a case for Newman sub and Setterfield still in but think overall balance Setters more likely to be the unlucky one.
Lewis Young form in magoos was nothing special but think we need a genuine extra tall down back with Oscar out so cannot see much choice but to play him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back