Preview 2022 Round 8 Carlton vs Adelaide Sunday 8th May 4:40PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team Update - Post #689

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have enough defenders to cover their team they ain't Melbourne and yes I'd go with Kemp above Boyd as well even Williamson.

But from the emergencies they named and in my opinion our mids will be way too strong for them why not play someone who actually has been awesome in

the 2's and earned a run in Dow?

Plus I'd like to see Motlop given a go just to see what he has got pressure wise at AFL level at the expense of Durdin who needs to do more scoring.
I think willo is being retooled as a winger at the moment and Kemp has only had half to a full games total down back this season.

Voss being huge on play your position so willo is out as he's been working up the ground more and Kemp probably needs a game or two more down back in the 2s.

Boyds a fine in. Gives flexibility, plow was probably playing small anyway I think looking at Adelaides team.

I think willo is being retooled as a winger at the moment and Kemp has only had half to a full games total down back this season.

Voss being huge on play your position so willo is out as he's been working up the ground more and Kemp probably needs a game or two more down back in the 2s.

Boyds a fine in. Gives flexibility, plow was probably playing small anyway I think looking at Adelaides team.
I'm all for soldier in soldier out mentality but Dow hasn't just beat the door down he has driven a tank through but yet still no game something just doesn't seem right :think:

We have enough defenders to cover their team they ain't Melbourne and yes I'd go with Kemp above Boyd as well even Williamson.

But from the emergencies they named and in my opinion our mids will be way too strong for them why not play someone who actually has been awesome in

the 2's and earned a run in Dow?

Plus I'd like to see Motlop given a go just to see what he has got pressure wise at AFL level at the expense of Durdin who needs to do more scoring.
We need 7 defenders unless you’re planning on the other 6 playing 100% TOG.

The keys play about 95%, the 3rd & med do 85% and the running half backs do around 80%. All give or take 5%. That leaves about 80% for someone to cover to have 6 defenders on field at all times.

So if Boyd doesn’t come in for Plowman then it’s someone like Newnes playing the whole game as a defender. It’s a notable change last minute.

If Dow came in the it’s probably Walsh or Cerra playing all game as a wing (or splitting it 50:50 and if it was Motlop then you’ve got Carroll & Fish really upping their wing time to compensate for Newnes going down back (which could work well or could see them run out of gas early).

Boyd is the simplest move to make last minute.

In the same boat.

They seem to push him down back as a lockdown defender, where he doesn’t look remotely confident.

Thought he was a mid??
Boyd and Parkes are bad recruiting because the positional need trumps the skill and talent level. I would have preferred their list spots went to the likes of Maher, Hayes or Cahill, who are better footballers, rather than invest in players who are not afl standard

In the same boat.

They seem to push him down back as a lockdown defender, where he doesn’t look remotely confident.

Thought he was a mid??
Yep, I’m not sure what he is other than someone who tries hard. That’s great but I can try. Lots of blokes can try. What does he ADD?
Willo and Kemp can ADD more.

We need 7 defenders unless you’re planning on the other 6 playing 100% TOG.

The keys play about 95%, the 3rd & med do 85% and the running half backs do around 80%. All give or take 5%. That leaves about 80% for someone to cover to have 6 defenders on field at all times.

So if Boyd doesn’t come in for Plowman then it’s someone like Newnes playing the whole game as a defender. It’s a notable change last minute.

If Dow came in the it’s probably Walsh or Cerra playing all game as a wing (or splitting it 50:50 and if it was Motlop then you’ve got Carroll & Fish really upping their wing time to compensate for Newnes going down back (which could work well or could see them run out of gas early).

Boyd is the simplest move to make last minute.

Walsh should be on a wing permanently and he could do it almost 100% without a rest and Dow should be given his chance in the Centre.

Newnes was actually not a bad back man at Stkilda and would do just as well as Boyd in defense and could even free up Williams to play wing as well.

Carroll Fisher could have a run on the other Wing to help LOB and Walsh when needed and have on ball bursts and then a rest on bench then push forward.

It could be done.

I just don't get why players like Plowman,Boyd,Newnes,Cottrell,Setterfield etc have been given a go before Dow especially when we have Hewett out at

the moment.

Or are his papers stamped and it doesn't matter what he produces in the 2's?

Yep, I’m not sure what he is other than someone who tries hard. That’s great but I can try. Lots of blokes can try. What does he ADD?
Willo and Kemp can ADD more.
Hey I’m indifferent about JB, but the thing is he regularly outperforms his “opposition for spots” in the 2’s, so that must be the mega metric Voss and co have set - so once Willo and Kemp consistently play better than him, in they come. It’s hard for us, but not the MC obviously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walsh should be on a wing permanently and he could do it almost 100% without a rest and Dow should be given his chance in the Centre.

Newnes was actually not a bad back man at Stkilda and would do just as well as Boyd in defense and could even free up Williams to play wing as well.

Carroll Fisher could have a run on the other Wing to help LOB and Walsh when needed and have on ball bursts and then a rest on bench then push forward.

It could be done.

I just don't get why players like Plowman,Boyd,Newnes,Cottrell,Setterfield etc have been given a go before Dow especially when we have Hewett out at

the moment.

Or are his papers stamped and it doesn't matter what he produces in the 2's?
I’m not saying it can’t be done, but its a simple substitution versus moving several magnets the day before the game including one magnet (Newnes) to a part of the field he hasn’t really played in for Carlton, let alone the current regime.

Dow’s current issues are that he can only really play on-ball, so he’s harder to fit in than the 5 mids ahead of him, and while it appears to be improving his defensive game still needs work. He’ll need significant midfield rotations, probably 2nd or 3rd in line, for it to work as you can’t really rotate him anywhere else.

I’m not saying it can’t be done, but its a simple substitution versus moving several magnets the day before the game including one magnet (Newnes) to a part of the field he hasn’t really played in for Carlton, let alone the current regime.

Dow’s current issues are that he can only really play on-ball, so he’s harder to fit in than the 5 mids ahead of him, and while it appears to be improving his defensive game still needs work. He’ll need significant midfield rotations, probably 2nd or 3rd in line, for it to work as you can’t really rotate him anywhere else.
I just want to see what he can do under a new coach and better mids around him before he's gone at the end of the year and stars at another club next year.

Boyd and Parkes are bad recruiting because the positional need trumps the skill and talent level. I would have preferred their list spots went to the likes of Maher, Hayes or Cahill, who are better footballers, rather than invest in players who are not afl standard
Hayes who was delisted by the dogs, maher and cahill who have been available (and overlooked) in draft after draft are now afl standard?

Blows my mind that people are willing/wanting a number of positional changes to get Dow in the side to "see what he can do"

I get it, people want to see an early draft pick play/make it at senior level, despite the messaging being clear that he needs to work on aspects of his game

Personally, I would rather see the group build continuity and continue to win, rather than experiment in the hope it could work and or be better for the team as a whole

Last edited:
I work 6 days. Sunday i am free. Otherwise I have to scramble to cover shifts.
Yep, everyone is in a different situation. Personally, I work most Sundays and have most Saturdays free. I also get a few Fridays off, here and their. I remember the good ole' day's when basically nearly everyone worked Monday to Friday. That was much better.

Blows my mind that people are willing/wanting a number of positional changes to get Dow in the side to "see what he can do"

I get it, people want to see an early draft pick play/make it at senior level, despite tge messaging being clear that he needs to work on aspects of his game

Personally, I would rather see the group build continuity and continue to win, rather than experiment on the hope it could work and or be better for tge team as a whole
Love to know what his KPI's are because as far as I have watched the VFL he is by far ready to go at AFL level.

Who knows what is said and done behind closed doors maybe it's just a personality clash between coach and player?

I’m not sure what the coaches see in Boyd. Happy for the guy but why him? Help me out here.
Agree he has not shown much at the level yet. Obviously the coaches and MC have a lot of time for him. I like that he has toe and I have noticed a little mongrel. I reckon he will make a good speedy half-back who has a willingness to take the game on. Just needs to gain some confidence and a few games continuously. Speed is very important now and he does have a big leg. Hope he can cut it.

Yep, everyone is in a different situation. Personally, I work most Sundays and have most Saturdays free. I also get a few Fridays off, here and their. I remember the good ole' day's when basically nearly everyone worked Monday to Friday. That was much better.
Late Sunday’s are a shitty place in the draw. Last game, a week to plan with kids.
For me it means, premium seats, pay for parking home to get home before 9pm.
For the club it means lower attendance, fewer viewers.

I just want to see what he can do under a new coach and better mids around him before he's gone at the end of the year and stars at another club next year.

A bit like SPS, I'm not convinced he'd star at another club but agree we need to give him game time very soon to see what he is capable of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back