Preview 2022 Round 8 Carlton vs Adelaide Sunday 8th May 4:40PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team Update - Post #689

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back in my day we would walk through 40 miles of snow to get to school, 40 miles back home again, and if we were lucky our dad would let us play football with a tin can in the backyard. I say, let's just get all the boys back on the park and do battle with these Croweaters.

LUXURY!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

By the sounds of Voss's press conference Dow won't be picked and Carroll definitely playing. No real surprises there but worth noting given Carroll injury rumors. Also sounds like Harry is definitely playing.

Also sounds like Marchbank could be back in the 1s sooner then we think. Playing full minutes in the VFL so probably just needs a couple of weeks to get match fitness and then it will be down to form.

Maybe after the bye,he’d need a good block of games has missed so much footy.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't understand the dropping of crouch by Adelaide -- Nicks seems to have a bit of beveridge about him -- I said earlier in the week with Young we win- now just hope for percentage --
Marchbank gets back to form and stays fit I will start planning my tickets and trip home for finals ..😄

Bit of a different structure for us. Three wingers and four onballers. Expecting to see Newnes and Carroll playing wing and forward. Expecting to see some forwards go on the ball at times. Fisher, Martin and Durdin. I like that, keeps the forwards in the game and the wingmen a bit fresher.

It's a fairly strong team from us. Missing Hewett but not in a position we lack depth, plenty of quality to pick up the slack. Missing a third tall defender. Plowman played well last week, it was just about the only time he has ever played like a third tall defender though he should have seeing the opposition were poor. If he plays well again then that adds a lot to our defence. Carroll holding his spot, hopefully gets more midfield time on the wing. Last week he played a bit on the ball and played well as a forward, showed a lot with his outside/link up game as a midfielder.

Who will be sub? Cottrell not likely two weeks in a row, maybe Boyd or perhaps Dow gets it and finally gets out on the field in 2022.

Weitering probably takes Walker and Young to Himmelberg. Big matchups as this is where the majority of their score comes from. It's a big advantage to be able to match up on these two well against the Crows. Probably the biggest area of concern for us is O'Brien v De Koning. If DeKoning plays well, we blanked their two tall forwards and Plowman has another good game then Carlton's weaker areas haven't been exposed and their strong areas haven't come through and that is where we win this game.

I don't understand the dropping of crouch by Adelaide -- Nicks seems to have a bit of beveridge about him -- I said earlier in the week with Young we win- now just hope for percentage --
Marchbank gets back to form and stays fit I will start planning my tickets and trip home for finals ..

Regardless of how well Marchbank plays I do think Kemp can step up and be that intercept defender who plays loose - but that would be in the second half of the year as he’s just back to playing defence in the VFL to potentially prepare for that - but after the bye he could be the point of difference we need to set up scoring from turnovers. But hopefully it’s both Marchbank and Kemp who step up so we get to choose the one in better form.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we have battled very hard against some average teams to be at just under 105 % ....
Voss looks to have put a good pre season into this group,and he has them motivated BUT even tho we do have some of the leagues best players there is still a long way to go in defining the system technique and or self understanding of that
This game could be a thrashing by CFC....but more likely a catchup either way as this team settles itself

3 goals would do me :thumbsu:

Would not do me. Will be our biggest win this year. Hope that doesn't come back to bite me😜

Would like to see Motlop get a run. I think his ability to get to the front of packs and read the ball off hands will really compliment our tall's.

Some things can't be taught!

His front and centre work is very sharp.

We won by 50 points. We're 5-2. I think the coaches are confident in whats going on at AFL level.
These are the very reasons, plus playing against weakened opposition, to play Dow and maybe Motlop.
I would rather we experimented a bit with team selection in the first half of the season and settled the line up later on. Crazy is being too conservative.
'Rest' performing players to trial others. ****, I'd even give Cerra, Fisher, Durdin? a week or 2 off, not as punishment, but to see what we actually have. (we'll still win this week)

These are the very reasons, plus playing against weakened opposition, to play Dow and maybe Motlop.
I would rather we experimented a bit with team selection in the first half of the season and settled the line up later on. Crazy is being too conservative.
'Rest' performing players to trial others. F**k, I'd even give Cerra, Fisher, Durdin? a week or 2 off, not as punishment, but to see what we actually have. (we'll still win this week)

I think it is silly to tinker with a winning formula. There is not a club in the league who would drop a performing player in round 8 to trial others.

Considering our injuries this year, there has been opportunities for those in the 2s every week, and we are probably 5-6 changes away from our ideal side.

And for all we know Dow and Motlop aren’t hitting their KPI’s despite playing well to the supporters eye. I think Voss wants our young guys to bang down the door ala Carroll and not make changes for changes sake.

I think it is silly to tinker with a winning formula. There is not a club in the league who would drop a performing player in round 8 to trial others.

Considering our injuries this year, there has been opportunities for those in the 2s every week, and we are probably 5-6 changes away from our ideal side.

And for all we know Dow and Motlop aren’t hitting their KPI’s despite playing well to the supporters eye. I think Voss wants our young guys to bang down the door ala Carroll and not make changes for changes sake.
I'm of the same mind. This team just simply must keep banking wins with the strongest team we can field each week. No hubris at the selection table, we are only just learning how to become a consistent and reliable team.

Win this week and results go our way we could be in the 8 three wins clear of 9th. Lose and results don't fall our way and we are 8th, only a game clear of 9th with a terrible percentage.

In the last third of the season if we can't make top four but almost no chance of dropping out of the eight, but all means be a bit more daring at the selection table. Until then, bank wins, make finals. Primary and only goal for 2022 until its achieved. Once we're in, then think a little more broadly.

Just gotta get the job done against a young Adelaide team in Melbourne.

That's a fair enough comparison but I don't see it that way as Blackwell was nuggety very determined/ tough and uncompromising... However not particularly fast , sublimely skilled or precise with long kicks[ also was a competent right foot kick and not a Lefty like Caroll... I think Carroll is going to be the more the Brad Pearce/ Josh Kelly type except in a midfielder ... I think that he and Fisher are gonna set up many l precise long kicks into forward thrusts
Blackwell was 24 when he came to Carlton, Carroll is 19 and developing strongly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back