Preview 2022 Round 8 Carlton vs Adelaide Sunday 8th May 4:40PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team Update - Post #689

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If midfield fires and our structures at stoppages around the ground hold up, Plow going out won’t be an issue. The boys should be mentally on the idea they want to put these to the sword, that midfield of theirs needs to be carried by Keays, Dawson and ROB. Voss gets it right, we could have a tasty big result tomorrow

Top 4 by the end of the round on the line too. Massive motivator and very exciting

Last edited:

Good, tell me what game he played where he played another position and was effective, because I fail to recall it happening

So because Dow plays mainly mid in the 2's and has been in the best for most of those games he can't be tried as a HFF/Wing at AFL level ahead of

Fogarty,Cottrell,Newnes etc or even have players move positions (Walsh,Cerra to wing) to let Dow replace Hewett/Kennedy in the middle when they were hurt

which is more the like for like replacement as we have previously discussed yet the match committee didn't bring him in at all.

Yet we persisted with Setterfield,Fogarty,Newnes,Cottrell,Boyd in the AFL when Dow was playing so good at VFL level and still getting overlooked but

others seem to get away with mediocre performances at either level and keep their spot.

I think he earned a call up before Carroll but not unhappy with Carroll playing.

Kennedy/Hewett have also been out yet Dow still didn't get a game.

Why can't he play Wing/HFF?

I think Dow is more than the one trick pony a few around here are lumping a 22 year old into at the moment.
Well that's not fair on the few around here who seem to have the same opinion as the club.

As for why? Seems pretty obvious.... Because he is a one tricker developing enough other parts of his game not to be still. Yes he wins the ball well and his hands are good in contested footy which is the easiest thing supporters can judge by, so they weight way more than anything else... But obviously he's not checked off everything they want of him yet...

I'd wager he's close for sure, but its not some great mystery or conspiracy that sees him not being picked yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So because Dow plays mainly mid in the 2's and has been in the best for most of those games he can't be tried as a HFF/Wing at AFL level ahead of

Fogarty,Cottrell,Newnes etc or even have players move positions (Walsh,Cerra to wing) to let Dow replace Hewett/Kennedy in the middle when they were hurt

which is more the like for like replacement as we have previously discussed yet the match committee didn't bring him in at all.

Yet we persisted with Setterfield,Fogarty,Newnes,Cottrell,Boyd in the AFL when Dow was playing so good at VFL level and still getting overlooked but

others seem to get away with mediocre performances at either level and keep their spot.

You are still avoiding the question, but I suspect you already know the answer

Boyd - Can play a number of roles that Dow can't, small defender, wing or even small forward. Is quicker and has more intent
Setters - A role player that reads the game much better than Dow and his endurance is considerable better
Fog - I don't rate him that much, but he can at least play as a pressure forward, Dow can't
Newnes & Cottrell - Limited players but are quick ish, better tanks and have a better defensive side

Dow is only a mid, similar to the likes of a Prestia in that regard, but, Cerra, Walsh, Cripps, Kennedy, Hewett all average more in disposals and tackles at AFL level compared to Dow at VFL level.

Before you respond, just let that sink in a bit, average more in disposals and tackles at a much higher standard of footy

Last edited:

Boyd - Can play a number of roles that Dow can't, small defender, wing or even small forward. Is quicker and has more intent
Setters - A role player that reads the game much better than Dow and his endurance is considerable better
Fog - I don't rate him that much, but he can at least play as a pressure forward, Dow can't
Newnes & Cottrell - Limited players but are quick ish, better tanks and have a better defensive side

Dow is only a mid, similar to the likes of a Prestia in that regard, but, Cerra, Walsh, Cripps, Kennedy, Hewett all average more in disposals and tackles at AFL level compared to VFL level.

Before you respond, just let that sink in a bit, average more in disposals and tackles at a much higher standard of footy

On the Dow discussion… pretty sure vossy mentioned in his last presser that Dow may potentially have to find another string to his bow to play in the ones. Probably our 5th best inside mid but if he can add goals in open play to his repertoire then he’ll come into the team sooner rather than later. Kennedy isn’t a lock in the 1s. That’s the spot Dow should be going after.

Dow is only a mid, similar to the likes of a Prestia in that regard, but, Cerra, Walsh, Cripps, Kennedy, Hewett all average more in disposals and tackles at AFL level compared to VFL level.

At the end of the day I really couldn’t give two ****s as long as we keep winning.

I just think we should reward players who deserve a go on form and not just because they can run all day,fill a spot even though they aren’t up to or even as good in that spot,especially when our wings are not to the standard as the good teams and the reason why we don’t have that quick transition great ball use out of defense.
We could bring Dow in to help Cripps,hewett,Kennedy,Carroll and move Cerra/Walsh/Williams to the wings and it wouldn’t change our midfield but boy our ball movement would improve on the outside 100%.

Let’s see how Dow goes tonight but if he has another great game the noise on the door is even louder and the competition for spots even better which makes them hungrier to keep a spot which normally leads to a better team and winning culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back