List Mgmt. 2022 Trade Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m hoping Gresham continues to improve & also stay on the park to fulfil the elite mid/fwd role. And Clark the young gun mid coming through. Windy/Owens look like okay support in the Worpel range (when he was decent). I think our midfield is in good shape but agree it hasn’t really been tested against the very best.
I think we are still behind the likes of Melbourne and that's the bench mark we need to be aiming for

Gresham returning has helped us. Clark is a bit of an unknown because Ratten hasn't given him the time in the midfield he should have IMO

I think we need to find one more match winning elite mid on top of what we have. Maybe or hopefully that comes from within.

I think we are still behind the likes of Melbourne and that's the bench mark we need to be aiming for

Gresham returning has helped us. Clark is a bit of an unknown because Ratten hasn't given him the time in the midfield he should have IMO

I think we need to find one more match winning elite mid on top of what we have. Maybe or hopefully that comes from within.
To be fair no team stacks up against Melbourne’s midfield. That’s probably aiming a bit too high & is unrealistic. We need to test ourselves against the next rung such as Dogs, Swans, Blues & Lions. I sort of agree with you though. Ideally our starting three mids are Steele, Gresham & one other. I wonder how Jones would add to that mix? Looks bloody good on paper in terms of having a good mix of ball winners & zip.

To me the midfield all of a sudden doesn't look as urgent. Ross coming good as well as Crouch with Jones and Clark still to come in and Bytel and Byrnes still developing I'd be more tempted to go to the draft or chase a young mid who is struggling to get on the park. I wanted to chase Will Brodie who is sitting around Couch level on player rankings as a top 30 player in the AFL.

O'Halloran looks that type at GWS, Sharp looks like potential gun and will be behind a few guns at GC. Eli Smith and Deven Robertson from Brissy,

I'd go to Jai Simpkin and see if he wants to play in a winning side too. Otherwise top up with a Partington or Freeman type.

The kid training with us at the moment sounds like a Rozee type.

Go to the draft I reckon unless a Taranto type becomes an option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair no team stacks up against Melbourne’s midfield. That’s probably aiming a bit too high & is unrealistic. We need to test ourselves against the next rung such as Dogs, Swans, Blues & Lions. I sort of agree with you though. Ideally our starting three mids are Steele, Gresham & one other. I wonder how Jones would add to that mix? Looks bloody good on paper in terms of having a good mix of ball winners & zip.
Well if anyone is going to win it they need to beat Melbourne.

Matchingor bearing those other sides just gets us to second

That doesn't necessarily mean you have to have a better midfield but at least close to matching them.

Jones definitely helps if he can stay fit

We really need a top quality lock down FB imo- a barrass type.

That is the domino that needs to fall and then we can be aggressive in shaping our list so we can win a flag.

Get a Barrass type gun FB, then we can do the following:

*Howard goes to CHB playing battle's current role.

*Battle plays as 3rd tall/intercept guy.

*Wilkie plays the small+tall role Liernart is currently keeping warm while coffield is out.

*Jwebb and Paton take the 2 small defender spots.

This setup creates the following issues:

1. I think in order to win a flag we need to continue to grow sinclair as a genuine mid now the penny has dropped for him- so no more playing him off HB. (Unless he's rotating w/ jimmy or paton).

2. Same applies for hill- no more playing off half back. Time to strap the big boy pants on and play wing or HF fulltime.

3. That leaves coffield in a tough spot- duking it out with wilkie for a spot down back.... but perhaps it's time for him to strap some big boy pants on too and either:
A- play like a genuine gun backman (as he's shown briefly) and relegate wilkie to the magoos, or
B- work his butt off and try and become a genuine mid or wingman.

Failing that, perhaps coffield could be used as trade bait to lure a gun mid or gun barrass type FB or ryder replacement?

4. Again, hunter clark would also need big boy pants treatment too and commit to being a fulltime mid.

5. This relegates the likes of highmore, wood, lienart, byrnes, bytel, dmac, windy, nas to the magoos and/or injury backup.

Keep in mind all the above is assuming we have literally zero injuries (which of course never happens).
So note that if/when injuries do hit- guys like clark, coff, hill etc will get some opportunity to play off HB still.

Plus guys like nas, bytel etc will be ready to jump in and take a spot from guys like billings, ross, clark etc if they are good enough and/or injuries occur.

All of the above would then give us a best 22 fulltime mid group (including wings) of:

Steele
Crouch
Sincs
Ross
Jones
Clark
Billings
Hill

I have deliberately left gresh out of that group because as good as he is as a mid- he can also be a huge weapon up fwd.

So in an ideal world, with a fully fit list (ie clark and jones fit and in good form); we can push gresh fwd fulltime, displacing the spot windhager currently has.

TL;DR:
To me, turning our list into a flag winning one all starts with us getting a gun lockdown FB.
Doing that will force us to make some tough (but overall beneficial) calls on where guys play fulltime.

Why?
We need to throw everything at winning a flag in the next 3-4 years while steele and marshall are in their prime.

We as a club need to put our nuts on the table and have the goal of making top 4 every year for the next 3-4 years.

Setting a goal like that will make us ruthless at the selection table.

Kids (nas, bytel etc) and guys like wood, lienart etc who are showing glimpses of quality will still get opportunity, but they will need to smash the selectors door down with performance, not just potential.

Look at melbourne now for instance- their kids like jackson, bowey, pickett still get opportunity- but they need to perform at a top level or they're gone.

That's how it should be when you are legit trying to win a flag- your best 22 should not have guys like NWM, Wood, Lienart, Winghager, Long etc unless they are making themselves undroppable by performing like guns everyweek or you have lots of injuries.

That is the domino that needs to fall and then we can be aggressive in shaping our list so we can win a flag.

*Wilkie plays the small+tall role Liernart is currently keeping warm while coffield is out.

1. I think in order to win a flag we need to continue to grow sinclair as a genuine mid now the penny has dropped for him- so no more playing him off HB. (Unless he's rotating w/ jimmy or paton).

2. Same applies for hill- no more playing off half back. Time to strap the big boy pants on and play wing or HF fulltime.

3. That leaves coffield in a tough spot- duking it out with wilkie for a spot down back.... but perhaps it's time for him to strap some big boy pants on too and either:
A- play like a genuine gun backman (as he's shown briefly) and relegate wilkie to the magoos, or

Failing that, perhaps coffield could be used as trade bait to lure a gun mid or gun barrass type FB or ryder replacement?

4. Again, hunter clark would also need big boy pants treatment too and commit to being a fulltime mid.

5. This relegates the likes of highmore, wood, lienart, byrnes, bytel, dmac, windy, nas to the magoos and/or injury backup.

Keep in mind all the above is assuming we have literally zero injuries (which of course never happens).
So note that if/when injuries do hit- guys like clark, coff, hill etc will get some opportunity to play off HB still.

Plus guys like nas, bytel etc will be ready to jump in and take a spot from guys like billings, ross, clark etc if they are good enough and/or injuries occur.

All of the above would then give us a best 22 fulltime mid group (including wings) of:

Steele
Crouch
Sincs
Ross
Jones
Clark
Billings
Hill

I have deliberately left gresh out of that group because as good as he is as a mid- he can also be a huge weapon up fwd.

So in an ideal world, with a fully fit list (ie clark and jones fit and in good form); we can push gresh fwd fulltime, displacing the spot windhager currently has.

TL;DR:
To me, turning our list into a flag winning one all starts with us getting a gun lockdown FB.
Doing that will force us to make some tough (but overall beneficial) calls on where guys play fulltime.

Why?
We need to throw everything at winning a flag in the next 3-4 years while steele and marshall are in their prime.

We as a club need to put our nuts on the table and have the goal of making top 4 every year for the next 3-4 years.

Kids (nas, bytel etc) and guys like wood, lienart etc who are showing glimpses of quality will still get opportunity, but they will need to smash the selectors door down with performance, not just potential.

Look at melbourne now for instance- their kids like jackson, bowey, pickett still get opportunity- but they need to perform at a top level or they're gone.

That's how it should be when you are legit trying to win a flag- your best 22 should not have guys like NWM, Wood, Lienart, Winghager, Long etc unless they are making themselves undroppable by performing like guns everyweek or you have lots of injuries.
Any key defender we brought in would be at the expense of Howard, Battle or Wilkie in the best 22. Not in addition too otherwise the balance down back would be completely off.

Any key defender we brought in would be at the expense of Howard, Battle or Wilkie in the best 22. Not in addition too otherwise the balance down back would be completely off.
Currently it’s Howard, Battle, Wilkie & Lienert. Swap Lienert for Barrass or similar type & move Battle to Lienert’s role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i'm interested to see how we go against Melb and Geelong...

commentators seem to think we are starting to gel down back a bit. interested to see how that goes as the season goes on.
What I’m liking is our gameplan now has an identity that is easy to follow. We are nothing like Melbourne, who’s gameplan is an evolution of Richmond’s. If I had to compare us to another team it would we be the Eagles when they won the flag. We are number one for kicks & marks, low overall tackle numbers, especially inside 50, low inside 50 numbers, but are incredibly efficient at scoring when getting it inside 50 ranked number one. Our GPS numbers also seem to be quite low which is likely a result of our kick-mark gameplan. We work smart not hard whereas our opposition are chasing us around.

Currently it’s Howard, Battle, Wilkie & Lienert. Swap Lienert for Barrass or similar type & move Battle to Lienert’s role.
Lienert is playing the role that would be Coffield's as unaccountable half back.

I don't see why we would need to bring in a defender and then change the roles of all our current defender to accomodate that player.

Lienert is playing the role that would be Coffield's as unaccountable half back.

I don't see why we would need to bring in a defender and then change the roles of all our current defender to accomodate that player.
I suspect Battle would play Lienert’s role much better because he’s a far better reader of the play, intercept defender & mark. Barrass or similar would be a significant improvement on Battle or Howard on the number 1 or 2 oppo forward. No brainer.

Agree, and in any event, I would be happy to back in the Marshall/Hayes combo for a season if needed. It's not like there are many other Paddy Ryders who are available.
I reckon it wouldn't be a bad idea to get in another developing ruck this off season

I suspect Battle would play Lienert’s role much better because he’s a far better reader of the play, intercept defender & mark. Barrass or similar would be a significant improvement on Battle or Howard on the number 1 or 2 oppo forward. No brainer.
What about Coffield?

If they all play that gives us five 191cm plus defenders and none of them have shown the ability to run and carry (Coff has at 18's level but very little at AFL level)

I agree we need another quality key defender but it would have to be at the expense of someone IMO

Barrass is a gun. But as I said, someone like him would be at expense of one of our key defenders. You dont play 4 of them in one side.

And Lienert isnt playing an intercepting role.

What about Coffield?

If they all play that gives us five 191cm plus defenders and none of them have shown the ability to run and carry (Coff has at 18's level but very little at AFL level)

I agree we need another quality key defender but it would have to be at the expense of someone IMO
Battle & Coffield or Battle & Howard fighting it out for best 22 spots is a good headache to have.

100%

Maybe Coff becomes the tall winger Ratts loves too
That would work. Wood a short term solution given he’s 29 later this year. Coff could possibly play that role.

The point I’ve been making is Battle & Howard doesn’t stack up as our two tall defenders IMO. If we can get Barrass into the team it significantly improves our defence. Wilkie is the guy that doesn’t concern me at all. Gun.

Steele
Crouch
Sincs
Ross
Jones
Clark
Billings
Hill

TL;DR:

Why?

I agree it would be great to have a gun key back, but all the positional changes don't really depend on it. We're basically playing them now.

I see it that because we only have Howard as a true key defender our other smalls or 3rd talls often need to help out their team mates on key defenders. This takes out our ability for guys like Wilkie and Battle to be able to intercept mark and even sucks our small backs into contest at times leaving space open elsewhere.

With another gun key back as you say I'd play Howard at CHB. Play 2 intercepting 3rd talls out of Coff, Battle, Wilkie, Highmore. 2 Smalls - JWeb and Paton. Sincs rotating thru half back and mids. You could probably carry a 7th on the bench as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back