Resource 2023 AFL Draft Discussion...

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no opinion on this kids kicking. But I wonder - it’s become really really important to have good kicks in the backline, and so I wonder if a team could carry one backline player who can reliably hit difficult short passes and also hit a massive line-breaking bomb, but not offer much defensively?
Most clubs have one like that , you need to be able to defend to a minimum competitive level though

This kid would be an absolute weapon from kick ins , our I50 count from points against would go up for sure

Haven’t really got my heart set on him for us , but wouldn’t be annoyed at pick 20

He also spent alot of time on the wing for the allies and has decent aerobic capacity

You’d be getting an offensive weapon that needs to work on some things …. Better than no weapons at all

Am I the only one who can't see what the big deal is with Ollie Murphy? Yes he's tall and has a solid left kick but aerially seems a bit suspect. Seems like a player drafted in the top 20 but ends up being delisted in 4 years.
Bit of a risk

He actually reads the ball very well in flight but I thought the same with Mcasey

He’s a better player than Ben McKay was at 18 though IMO , similar lack of speed

Most clubs have one like that , you need to be able to defend to a minimum competitive level though

This kid would be an absolute weapon from kick ins , our I50 count from points against would go up for sure

Haven’t really got my heart set on him for us , but wouldn’t be annoyed at pick 20

He also spent alot of time on the wing for the allies and has decent aerobic capacity

You’d be getting an offensive weapon that needs to work on some things …. Better than no weapons at all
I wonder if a player like this would be better as the first receiver from kick ins. Can either go short/medium difficult attacking option, or a huge hoof hopefully beyond the defensive set up.

Am I the only one who can't see what the big deal is with Ollie Murphy? Yes he's tall and has a solid left kick but aerially seems a bit suspect. Seems like a player drafted in the top 20 but ends up being delisted in 4 years.
I'm with you ....TBF though he's got a massive amount of development to go, his core strength is really bad ......so it's a huge gamble, which I'm not sure is worth it

I'm not super fussed if we take him at 14. There are some decent players there, but starting to be more role players than superstars. I'm also not that fearful of taking key defenders at high draft picks. Firstly, that pick isn't that high and secondly I don't think key defenders fail at significanltly higher rates than other positions. Not taking best available in the first round is what has really killed us in the past (Gallucci and McAsey prime examples).

Murphy's a mobile, defensively minded 2m tall all australian key defender with good skills and good in the air. He also only went into defence this year, so should have a decent amount of upside simply from spending more time as a defender.

It's also an area of need for the future, with key forwards getting taller and more mobile. I don't look forard to Butts standing the King brothers.

The only knock is that he will take a couple of years to be ready to impact, whereas a mid might impact a year or two earlier (but I can also see him overtaking Butts before he is at full strength).

Or complete pick upgrade and take 2 picks
So by tomorrow we will know our strategy.
If we don't delist someone, it's either trade up, or keep picks as they are and trade pick 20 into 2024.

If we do, it's possibly two options:
Trade up and get a lower pick in the 40s or so.
Keep picks as they are.

I have no opinion on this kids kicking. But I wonder - it’s become really really important to have good kicks in the backline, and so I wonder if a team could carry one backline player who can reliably hit difficult short passes and also hit a massive line-breaking bomb, but not offer much defensively?
Just an FYI for everyone , some highlights of his game against Vic Metro playing on the wing , prob should have kicked 4 goals. He’s as much a key defender as Ricky Henderson

So by tomorrow we will know our strategy.
If we don't delist someone, it's either trade up, or keep picks as they are and trade pick 20 into 2024.

If we do, it's possibly two options:
Trade up and get a lower pick in the 40s or so.
Keep picks as they are.
If we don't delist a player by tomorrow and can only use 2 picks - doesn't that weaken our hand to trade up or out at pick 20 to next year as clubs will know we can't use the pick so we are a bit over a barrel?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just an FYI for everyone , some highlights of his game against Vic Metro playing on the wing , prob should have kicked 4 goals. He’s as much a key defender as Ricky Henderson

I said earlier looks like Suckling. Ok player but Pick 20 I'd prefer we were bold and go for a higher ceiling like Goad or Simpson.

If we don't delist a player by tomorrow and can only use 2 picks - doesn't that weaken our hand to trade up or out at pick 20 to next year as clubs will know we can't use the pick so we are a bit over a barrel?
This Is Bad Uh Oh GIF by Amazon Prime Video

To a degree. If Cats can get the player they want at 8 and 10, an extra pick 20 might make it worth it for them to not haggle too much.

With who we may be looking at, should we be talking to WCE to move pick 20 and try for their 35 and F2.

If there is a reasonable chance Goad is there at 35 (which after GC academy pick matches will come in a few picks), bank a very good F2 in the process..heck, if we had to throw in a F4 to balance it out, its would be worth it.

Yeah to my eye he’s just not a player with a whole lot of poise - can sure kick it, but never tries anything particularly clever (compared to say Windsor, who seems very active more often than not)

Also very laconic in the way he plays, almost too laconic

I'd probably look at Angus Hastie before Schoenmakers, much more run and carry and capable of playing on smalls or talls....and can actually defend.
Absolutely, one that would require more development but Hastie’s got better all-round traits, IMO

Not quite in our range, though

Not that far off, reckon he goes 2nd round somewhere....I don't think too many would have had Schoenmaker going 1st round a 5 or 6 weeks ago.
Geelong I reckon will be all over Hastie at some point as a like for like replacement for 30 year old Tom Stewart.

I wonder if Geelong might put pick 8 up for trade and trade back a few spots and get a 2nd rounder in to pick him up.
To go with the 2nd rounder they got for ratugolea from port?

Not that far off, reckon he goes 2nd round somewhere....I don't think too many would have had Schoenmaker going 1st round a 5 or 6 weeks ago.
Geelong I reckon will be all over Hastie at some point as a like for like replacement for 30 year old Tom Stewart.

I wonder if Geelong might put pick 8 up for trade and trade back a few spots and get a 2nd rounder in to pick him up.
Yep, would be better value for the Cats than grabbing a Leake type with their first, I reckon

10. Wilson
14. De Mattia
20. Goad

me like me like

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2023 AFL Draft Discussion...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back