Resource 2023 AFL Draft Discussion...

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone know much re Ben Ridgeway from Glenelg ? Is he sacred heart too ?

Thought he was good on AFL GF day in futures game

Also - Tholstrup definitely showed some potential as a bigger inside mid when he went in there
Yeah liked him during the champs up forward, seemed to have a good mix of power and footy smarts

Think he gets underrated compared to the other three fwd/mids (Delean/Moir/Duursma)

Given Adelaide have Tyler Welsh as a F/S prospect in the 2024 draft and he is projecting to be a first round talent I would love for the Crows to trade their 1st round 2024 pick into the 2023 first round. Ideally that would be a top 10 pick like the Gold Coast Suns who might be looking to trade out their first rounder given the amount of academy players they will need to match bids on. Getting two of Moir, Tholstrup, Lorenz, Caddy, Curtin, Stevens, Edwards or Weckert (providing he doesn't choose cricket) would be a great start to the 2023 draft. Early on, this draft is looking at being the best draft in a few years.

Given Adelaide have Tyler Welsh as a F/S prospect in the 2024 draft and he is projecting to be a first round talent I would love for the Crows to trade their 1st round 2024 pick into the 2023 first round. Ideally that would be a top 10 pick like the Gold Coast Suns who might be looking to trade out their first rounder given the amount of academy players they will need to match bids on. Getting two of Moir, Tholstrup, Lorenz, Caddy, Curtin, Stevens, Edwards or Weckert (providing he doesn't choose cricket) would be a great start to the 2023 draft. Early on, this draft is looking at being the best draft in a few years.
At this stage I cant see any clubs wanting to give us their 2023 first rnd pick for a first 2024 pick. The 2023 cohort is too strong. I had another glance over the academy and geez its strong. So hard to pick a top 20. And we still haven't seen the guys that will come from nowhere to be first rounders.
As a crows supporter I think we need more speed from the back half. I said it a lot, since DMac retired we lost the back half drive. I think we also need midfield grunt. Small fwd we have 2 rippers in Rankine and Rachele. Unfortunately I'm not sure Moir is top 5 so we may miss him, we really need to do something to get another first rounder. Can't wait to see how this crop pans out.

Mutineer in the other thread you suggested Moir is unlikely to be at Adelaides pick

Is that due to trading out high picks for a Cox/Redman trade or points for Welsh or a genuine top 3 pick?

Very highly rated already and I hope there is some way to get close to getting him

Mutineer in the other thread you suggested Moir is unlikely to be at Adelaides pick

Is that due to trading out high picks for a Cox/Redman trade or points for Welsh or a genuine top 3 pick?

Very highly rated already and I hope there is some way to get close to getting him
More likely we are going to finish 10-12 and therefore not have a top 6 pick where he will likely go.

As others have noted 2024 first is there for flexibility due to Tyler Welsh F/S, but I think I would like to see us target experienced players via trade for that pick.

A good result would be keep first pick (midfielder), trade 2024 first for an experienced midfielder or small forward to free up Rachele and Rankine into the midfield (??) and target Harry Himmelburg via free agency.

Players to target? Kosi Pickett would make sense.

Don't know why we'd pick another top 10 18 year old. Trade that and then some for a quality u25 mid.

Who would you list that you think are genuine chances to trade for end of this year - in terms of quality under 25 mids? And price we could get them for

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Who would you list that you think are genuine chances to trade for end of this year - in terms of quality under 25 mids? And price we could get them for

I'd be right in the ear of elijah hollands for the end of next year. Use our oicks this year and then try snd tempt him to come to us at the end of 2024 and use 2024 and 2025 picks to get it done. If we snagged a moir for example this year then add hollands the year after with rachele, rankine, soligo, dawson and hopefully pedlar, we could have a very talented midfield to go with the grunt of berry etc

I'd be right in the ear of elijah hollands for the end of next year. Use our oicks this year and then try snd tempt him to come to us at the end of 2024 and use 2024 and 2025 picks to get it done. If we snagged a moir for example this year then add hollands the year after with rachele, rankine, soligo, dawson and hopefully pedlar, we could have a very talented midfield to go with the grunt of berry etc

Hollands is about the only mid I think will be high quality that is under 25 that may want to come to us - and he will cost a packet but he is what we need, assuming he continues development from here

The main point of my comment though is lots of people saying we need to either draft an elite mid (so 3-6 years before they are truly impactful) or trade for one ( I think the list of options is extremely short)

Would like to see some more thought and detail behind some of these statements that’s all

Hollands is about the only mid I think will be high quality that is under 25 that may want to come to us - and he will cost a packet but he is what we need, assuming he continues development from here

The main point of my comment though is lots of people saying we need to either draft an elite mid (so 3-6 years before they are truly impactful) or trade for one ( I think the list of options is extremely short)

Would like to see some more thought and detail behind some of these statements that’s all

Apologies if I have missed a post but why would we want Hollands? And why would he want to leave GC? There are much better mids than him that I would go after.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies if I have missed a post but why would we want Hollands? And why would he want to leave GC? There are much better mids than him that I would go after.

He was a crows fan growing up which gives us a chance to get him. And he’s highly talented mid, why wouldn’t we want him?

We don’t have that many realistic targets

High draft pick, wanted to come to Adelaide (big fan) and the key reason we were hoping so much to pick 2/3 for Brad Crouch compo

That’s the reason - and has genuine class but still a way to go. Why would he leave GC? Unlikely - $ and closer to home. Hopefully we show signs of leapfrogging them over the next two seasons.

Who are the better mids you would go after and why would they come here?

At this stage I cant see any clubs wanting to give us their 2023 first rnd pick for a first 2024 pick. The 2023 cohort is too strong. I had another glance over the academy and geez its strong. So hard to pick a top 20. And we still haven't seen the guys that will come from nowhere to be first rounders.
As a crows supporter I think we need more speed from the back half. I said it a lot, since DMac retired we lost the back half drive. I think we also need midfield grunt. Small fwd we have 2 rippers in Rankine and Rachele. Unfortunately I'm not sure Moir is top 5 so we may miss him, we really need to do something to get another first rounder. Can't wait to see how this crop pans out.
I agree that the 2023 cohort is projecting to be a very strong draft indeed, with a lot of players I am very excited to see how they develop. To my mind Jed Walter is projecting to be a top 5 talent which is why I thought the Suns might be open to trading out their 2023 first round pick to avoid it being absorbed by the bid on Walter. I agree the Crows need to find some serious pace around the ball, I am also hoping to add a couple more players with elite disposal, size and power to break through traffic. I know a lot of people on this forum don't agree with me, but I would love 12 players who were 187cm - 194cm with elite disposal, elite speed and agility, high level strength and power to break away from the contest, capable of kicking goals from 50+ metres and elite endurance. I have been wanting the Crows to develop this kind of group of players for years, and Geelong have just won a premiership with a strong emphasis on these skills and abilities and a team with an average height of 189cm. Geelong have also been at the top or near the top of the AFL for the past 15 years which highlights they are a team on which to benchmark yourself if you want to be in the premiership conversation on a consistent basis.

Although across the forum we may have different opinions I think we are all looking forward to see how the 2023 draft cohort develop and hopefully the Crows are able to position themselves for a move up the ladder in the years to come to achieve long-term sustainable premiership success. :)

I know a lot of people on this forum don't agree with me, but I would love 12 players who were 187cm - 194cm with elite disposal, elite speed and agility, high level strength and power to break away from the contest, capable of kicking goals from 50+ metres and elite endurance.

Everyone agrees, we just dont know where to find 12 of them :cool:

And pushintheback did you have some mids in mind who are elite that we could realistically target to come to Adelaide?

The list of options isn't great for players out of contract or free agents. But here are some names that we could go after;
  • Jack Graham sits at the top of the list!
  • Worpel
  • Rhys Mathieson
  • Pickett (small fwd but would assist with getting guys like Rankin & rachele into the midfield)
    Wanganeen-Milera
  • Parish
  • Redman

The list of options isn't great for players out of contract or free agents. But here are some names that we could go after;
  • Jack Graham sits at the top of the list!
  • Worpel
  • Rhys Mathieson
  • Pickett (small fwd but would assist with getting guys like Rankin & rachele into the midfield)
    Wanganeen-Milera
  • Parish
  • Redman

surely this is pisstake?

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2023 AFL Draft Discussion...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back