Preview 2023 Rd 24 Carlton vs GWS Sunday August 27 6:10PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Team is in ...

IN: Cerra, Fogarty, McGovern, Walsh, C. Durdin
OUT: Cripps (soreness), Docherty (soreness), E.Curnow, Marchbank, Pittonet, Motlop (illness)

Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringAlex Cincotta
Half-backs:Adam SaadMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Blake AcresSam WalshOllie Hollands
Half-forwards:Jack MartinHarry McKayDavid Cuningham
Forwards:Lachie FogartyCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Matthew CottrellPaddy DowZac Fisher
Corey Durdin
Emergencies:Ed CurnowMarc PittonetCaleb Marchbank

*Update 26th August

Last edited:
Harry has not played Ruck all year, so why would he for the last game or the finals? I would not be surprised if there is another out and Pitto comes in OR Harry does forward rucking, McGovern does backline rucking (?) and TDK just hangs across centre 85% of game. I have been a knocker of Pitto but I thought his body work was good last week. There is no way we do not play him in the finals unless Jack is 110% fit

There's any number of reasons I hate the West Coast Eagles, one being the damage they've done to the WAFL and another is the quite unbelievable stupidity of their supporters, I once heard one of them at Subi oval call Wayne Harmes a fat slob, the fact he was playing league football for Carlton seemed to have completely by-passed this philistine and I gave him a gentle reminder to that end, and I see tonight a team I equally detest and who are well up on my list of undesirables, the Bombers got belted. lovely stuff, oh yes, one more thing, go you mighty Blues.

Interesting :think:

If Harry could ruck and offer TDK some rest minutes… Doesn’t need to star, just needs to compete…

Centre bounces could be a worry, but around the ground Harry could be a real weapon…

Could be huge for us and allow us another runner or pressure forward in finals…

Last edited:
I'd be shocked if he's actually dropped.
He's sore, and needs a rest. If we name him sore, he can't be an emergency. Reckon there's a reasonable chance he'll be sub.
I'm hoping we're naming him as the sub. We've got a pretty well balanced starting 22, so it may be the case of rucking TDK for the first half, then rotating him with Pitto sometime during the 2nd half. Or insurance in case of emergency.

Or even subbing Charles off if we have 5th spot sewn up, and playing TDK as the 2nd tall option during the 2nd half.

Either way, Pitto as the sub makes sense. Having said all that tripe, it'll probably be Durds or Eduardo.....

Pitto will be in the team come first final, nothing surer. He’s just getting 2 weeks to be cherry ripe

A win by any margin and no new injuries, that’s all I ask

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I ask for a 10 goal pulsating, powerhouse, extravaganza of a win, running away in the premiership QTR.

Blues fans delirious - Blues players with eyes on a bigger prize…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm hoping we're naming him as the sub. We've got a pretty well balanced starting 22, so it may be the case of rucking TDK for the first half, then rotating him with Pitto sometime during the 2nd half. Or insurance in case of emergency.

Or even subbing Charles off if we have 5th spot sewn up, and playing TDK as the 2nd tall option during the 2nd half.

Either way, Pitto as the sub makes sense. Having said all that tripe, it'll probably be Durds or Eduardo.....
Options galore. It is good.

Harry has not played Ruck all year, so why would he for the last game or the finals? I would not be surprised if there is another out and Pitto comes in OR Harry does forward rucking, McGovern does backline rucking (?) and TDK just hangs across centre 85% of game. I have been a knocker of Pitto but I thought his body work was good last week. There is no way we do not play him in the finals unless Jack is 110% fit
I think they will just test this out. Or even let a tall kid take the ruck. Arguably we can cope with the one ruck for centre bounces and defence while Harry Charlie ruck forward.

GWS will only use the one ruck and if we get dogs in the first final we should be able to cope with just one then too.

A few players who will be playing for their finals lives tomorrow. With Cripps and Docherty to return big games are needed from the following:
Fogarty
Dow
Hewett
Cincotta
Hollands
Cuningham
Cotterell
Fisher

That’s about a third of the list. Plus a full game into the legs of Walsh and Cerra. Any injury now will hurt opportunities to run out on the G in their first ever final for a lot of these players.

So what happens if TDK goes down early?

We are not structuring our side this way in a final, so it is clearly a rest for Pitto.
Same situation the Bulldogs faced in 2016. McKay goes into the ruck full time the same as Boyd did for them. The forward line stays as it was for the last month when McKay was out. Unless we pick a ruckman as sub or SOS down the track.

A few players who will be playing for their finals lives tomorrow. With Cripps and Docherty to return big games are needed from the following:
Fogarty
Dow
Hewett
Cincotta
Hollands
Cuningham
Cotterell
Fisher

That’s about a third of the list. Plus a full game into the legs of Walsh and Cerra. Any injury now will hurt opportunities to run out on the G in their first ever final for a lot of these players.
Not only about injury , importantly it’s also about performance.

How badly do the group want to be part of something special?

There’s a lot of run & dynamism in the players you’ve listed - them having a massive crack will go a long way to countering the oppo’s desperation.

The thing about McKay is that when we first recruited him I thought we had a really good forward ruck on our hands and he did ruck early days, then we realised he was really good as a forward and we went down the path of developing him as a pure forward and it has stayed that way. I think we always had a thought DeKoning would become a forward ruck and he hasn't quite come on in that area.

So what we are doing is DeKoning replaces Pittonet. McKay replaces DeKoning. Not sure if DeKoning is an upgrade on Pittonet but McKay is an upgrade on DeKoning so this should strengthen us.

Just depends how fit McKay is and how he will cope with the running in the midfield. Should give us a more mobile ruck who can take a mark and when forward a lot better target than Pittonet or DeKoning have been.

Same situation the Bulldogs faced in 2016. McKay goes into the ruck full time the same as Boyd did for them. The forward line stays as it was for the last month when McKay was out. Unless we pick a ruckman as sub or SOS down the track.
They had Jordan Roughead and Fletcher Roberts as other options in their 22.

Who do we have? McKay in the ruck for any length of time is disastrous for him, Charlie and us. Not to mention who the back up to the back up would be??

They had Jordan Roughead and Fletcher Roberts as other options in their 22.

Who do we have? McKay in the ruck for any length of time is disastrous for him, Charlie and us. Not to mention who the back up to the back up would be??
Probably makes it important that the Sub can also play ruck. I think we have two players on our team who make really good subs. Dow is one, he has proven he can come on late in games for a big impact but he may be starting 22.

The other is Silvagni because he is so durable. Can come on and pretty much play any position on the ground. Which I think if you go with one ruckman, the sub probably has to be Silvagni.

And you might change the mix up if you are playing a side with a dominant ruck or two genuine rucks and bring in the second ruck then. I think the big issue is that teams are finding out that it becomes a weakness if you are playing two rucks and neither can play forward. Melbourne are finding this out.

I think we were hoping DeKoning was going to have an impact up forward but really both he and Pittonet are genuine rucks. So I think we are having a really good look at this issue.

I think structurally it's the right mix, one ruck and one forward ruck, I think most teams are going to go in with that mix and both teams will be faced with the what if we lost a ruck issue but will back their side in to deal with it should that happen.

Imo tdk loves/thrives rucking the whole game when pitto is out. He’s played some Stella games whilst being the sole ruckman at times.
I think harry will do the ruck work anywhere say inside 60m out from our goals and tdk will complete the rest of the grounds duties
I think chop-out ruck might help Harry's chances of getting back into match fitness sooner. Pitto's lack of development in every aspect of the game except tap-outs and body blocking and his immobility makes him a very limited ruckman. Perhaps he's carrying an injury, or else his got 4 more years to go beyond being just a spare ruck role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back