Preview 2023 Rd 24 Carlton vs GWS Sunday August 27 6:10PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Team is in ...

IN: Cerra, Fogarty, McGovern, Walsh, C. Durdin
OUT: Cripps (soreness), Docherty (soreness), E.Curnow, Marchbank, Pittonet, Motlop (illness)

Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringAlex Cincotta
Half-backs:Adam SaadMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Blake AcresSam WalshOllie Hollands
Half-forwards:Jack MartinHarry McKayDavid Cuningham
Forwards:Lachie FogartyCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Matthew CottrellPaddy DowZac Fisher
Corey Durdin
Emergencies:Ed CurnowMarc PittonetCaleb Marchbank

*Update 26th August

Last edited:
I can’t see Boyd forcing his way in as he hasn’t played league since round 18. Same goes with Matty K given he has missed more footy and we may not have the reserves still playing in finals.

Tough calls will need to be made on the following positional choices:
Pitto or Sos - looks like Voss has locked onto Pitto at least for this year
Kemp or Marchy - is this hard? Kemp is easily ahead
Cunners or Fogs - this is very hard, slightly leaning to Fog
Cotts or Hollands- this is very hard, slightly leaning to Cotts

IMO the week 1 finals team is:
Kemp/Weitering/Saad
Newman/Gov/Cincotta
Acres/Cripps/Doc
Martin/Harry/Cunners
Owies/Charlie/TDK
Pitto/Cerra/Walsh
Hewett/Fisher/Cotts/Mots
sub: Dow or Sos

I don’t want to come across as picking on your post as I’ve seen a few posters name Binns this week which I just do not understand. Yes it’s quite possible as we may know our position and our opponent for the finals by the time our game starts in which case we can rest some key players but surely if that’s the case then we’d replace them with blokes who we are likely to play in the finals.

With all due respect to Binns if he is picked for a final I would be shocked in a bad way. There’s enough fringe 23 players jostling for a spot in the finals team to select ahead of giving Binns a debut game. I’d much rather blokes who’ve been in league side this year and will be vying for finals get a game like Ed, Cotts, Fish, Cinc, Cunners, Fog, Boyd, Hollands etc than giving a game to a debutant who likely won’t play in the finals.
I'd love it. He's well and truly earnt a debut this year and this is his last chance if he's zero chance of playing in finals.
5 of the 8 blokes you listed are already in the side and a 6th has been the sub. We can make room for him. I'd even do a straight swap with Hollands. He's already played 16 games in his first season, and if they plan on giving him a run in finals, a couple of weeks off might not hurt.
Who knows, he may do better than Hollands has been.

Whether Cripps plays depends on how sore he is, I am sure he'll be very stubborn and want to play but we don't really know how badly they're bruised and how he'll recover with over 8 days until the match. If he had broken ribs he wouldn't have been playing at all.

Normally I’d agree but Cripps and Doc clearly played injured last week against Gold Coast and it showed. It was great of them as leaders to be out there to lock in our finals berth but they could do with a rest now. IMO there’s a lot of benefit giving them a two week break at this stage of the year, especially when their replacements are likely Cerra and Walsh.

Agree, if injured, rest. Isn't that what I said? :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
Obrien for Cripps ?
remove bbc two GIF by BBC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe not 'anyone'.
I would only rest Cripps if Cerra or Walsh can come in. Although if he has cracked ribs (I haven't heard anything, has anything been said?), I would definitely sit him out.
Everyone’s talking about it except the club, externally at least - seems to be on the cards.

Would like to see Kennedy in if Cripps is out

Speaking of ripper suggestions,
I think now we've seen what Charlie can do
Seems obvious we move him down back yeah?
Don't really need Weiters, so we should drop him...

Whadya think? :p

a_scary.gif

Last edited:
There’s something going on at the dogs, they won’t be beating Port Melbourne colts this week let alone Cats at Kardinia park

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Agree the Dogs look rabid … but the Cats will be full of kittens this week.
Would think the WB will be keen to rebound. I have a good source there - will report back tomorrow evening.

I can’t see Boyd forcing his way in as he hasn’t played league since round 18. Same goes with Matty K given he has missed more footy and we may not have the reserves still playing in finals.

Tough calls will need to be made on the following positional choices:
Pitto or Sos
Kemp or Marchy
Cunners or Fogs
Cotts or Hollands

IMO the week 1 finals team is:
Kemp/Weitering/Saad
Newman/Gov/Cincotta
Acres/Cripps/Doc
Martin/Harry/Cunners
Owies/Charlie/TDK
Pitto/Cerra/Walsh
Hewett/Fisher/Cotts/Mots
sub: Dow or Sos

I believe Boyd has the combined attributes of both Cincotta and Fisher plus some, but not fazed if we go with Cincotta and Fisher ahead of him

I had Kennedy as a sub option, but don’t be surprised that he plays this week

Says Cripps got a knock against the Suns, ignores what happened against the Dees and why he was wearing a mattress.

Cripps rested this week, don’t give a shit if he demands to play…he’s the only one id “rest”, he bloody well needs it.
19-21 days off to next game from GC and he’ll be in peak physical condition to be “The Man” that he will be dying to be.

I don’t think you’d have a shorter priced favourite for BOG all year than that first final

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Everyone’s talking about it except the club, externally at least - seems to be on the cards.

Would like to see Kennedy in if Cripps is out
Not sure about Kennedy. Can't remember the timelines for all the injuries, but hasn't he been out for a while?
I'd prefer Cerra 1st and Walsh 2nd as replacements. If both of those guys come in, then I see no need for Kennedy at all.
Assuming Cripps was the only out for the mids, Cerra (or Walsh), Hewett, Doc, Dow, with Acres and Hollands on the wings, and rotations from Cunners and Fish is still pretty decent and not sure how Kennedy would improve that.

Having said that, if NOBODY needs a rest, all our injured are available and nobody gets injured during the game, then I'd be more than happy to bring in the best ones from the injury list while dropping the fringe and playing full strength.
I reckon that's less likely than resting some players though.

Speaking of ripper suggestions,
I think now we've seen what Charlie can do
Seems obvious we move him down back yeah?
Don't really need Weiters, so we should drop him...

Whadya think?

View attachment 1781400

horse GIF
That depends. Are we keeping Harry now?
If Harry is still useless AND we're moving Charlie down back, then maybe we should try Weitering up forward? What could go wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back