Rumour 2023 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 33!, 1 BIG FISH ALERT last October 4th) (7 confirmed! 11 Busted!)

Will Clayton Oliver join the Adelaide Crows?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure which thread to put this in so i'll chuck it here. There has been constant talk of how recruiting was only on the recruiting team and the responsibility lies with them solely for bad picks etc. Interestingly listening to Scott Burns interview yesterday on Sportsday he mentions that the recruiters showed them the videos of Soligo to get their thoughts on him...

IMO this makes sense as there has been a change in our recruiting since Nicks has been at the club, Pyke wanted everyone to be a hard working robot, Nicks seems to encourage some flair and skillfull players. Our drafting since he arrived vs before is very different IMO.

2020 - Thilthorpe, Pedlar, Cook, Berry, Rowe (this is odd on reflection)
2021 - Rachele, Soligo, Taylor

2019 (he just arrived so doubt he had much to do with planning) - FISH, Shoenberg, Worrell, ROC, Gollant,
2018 - Jones, McHenry, Hamill, Sholl

When you look at that list, obviously Thilthorpe & Rachele were early picks which makes it easier but are guns. Pedlar, Soligo & until recently Berry look comfortable at the level, Cook & Taylor we all have high hopes for and have shown glimpses of what they could be.

The guys before nicks was involved - Hamill looks cooked, FISH is done, ROC gone. Jones & Sholl seem to be showing something after 4 years... Shoenberg & Mchenry aren't going to be stars but probably depth players, Worrell if he gets his body right should be in our best 22, jury still out on Gollant (although some good signs)

The point here is that the recruiters are influenced by external (to the recruiting department) factors from coaching staff etc.

FYI the 2016 draft is so bad it couldn't be done by the same people - Galluci (also been mentioned that pyke influenced this selection), Poholke, EH, Signorello & Davis

Not sure which thread to put this in so i'll chuck it here. There has been constant talk of how recruiting was only on the recruiting team and the responsibility lies with them solely for bad picks etc. Interestingly listening to Scott Burns interview yesterday on Sportsday he mentions that the recruiters showed them the videos of Soligo to get their thoughts on him...

IMO this makes sense as there has been a change in our recruiting since Nicks has been at the club, Pyke wanted everyone to be a hard working robot, Nicks seems to encourage some flair and skillfull players. Our drafting since he arrived vs before is very different IMO.

Theres no point in drafting a player, no matter how talented, if he doesn't fit into the coaches game plan. Im sure the coaches would defer to the recruiters 90% of the time but im also sure the coaching group would have deal breakers that maybe Hamish doesn't. Like speed or ball use deficiences etc

Anyone who thinks the coaches coach's name is Nick's would at the very least be on the podium.
FTFY. Damn I hate it too when I make a mistake correcting someone else!

As for most clueless, I'd put my hand up. I know sweet FA about team balance, structure and tactics. I kicked the grand total of one point in my illustrious mini colts career (Marked in front of goal, played on and shanked the kick. Didn't think it went the distance, and I was half way through the kick when the ump called the mark.)

That said, I do love statistics. But I know they don't tell the true story. I'm a pretty average fantasy coach though.
Berry is our leading tackler again. And Parnell is 3rd in the league for work rate in attack and defence, whatever that means...

I watch the game for the big marks, the freaky goals, the power running and crunching tackles. In short, for the spectacle. And I enjoy it even more when we're winning.

Is this reason people keep mentioning the cool Himmelberg because his brother plays for us or is there something more to it?

There's more to it, his family has moved to Adelaide and the club has kept a constant dialogue with the family.

There's been rumours around for a while that the Crows have been very interested in landing him and the talk about him putting off his contract talks until the end of the season suggest that there's some validity to the rumours.

At this point I am about 90% sure he'll be a Crow next season.

There's more to it, his family has moved to Adelaide and the club has kept a constant dialogue with the family.

There's been rumours around for a while that the Crows have been very interested in landing him and the talk about him putting off his contract talks until the end of the season suggest that there's some validity to the rumours.

At this point I am about 90% sure he'll be a Crow next season.
I suppose if we get him free .. can't really complain... we've always been into Himmelberg but he hasn't really been great for gws imho ... he's overrated. And if we do go for him? Does it mean we can't trade his brother who has also very much underperformed?

I suppose if we get him free .. can't really complain... we've always been into Himmelberg but he hasn't really been great for gws imho ... he's overrated. And if we do go for him? Does it mean we can't trade his brother who has also very much underperformed?
EH is contracted. Need him as squad player. I am more worried to lose Doedee.

IMO if we are after Himmelburg it's to play him down back. Not up forward.

Thilthorpe, Fogarty, Rankine, McAdam, E.Himmelburg, Gollant, Pedlar, Tex (2024), Welsh (2025) is the likely group going forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO if we are after Himmelburg it's to play him down back. Not up forward.

Thilthorpe, Fogarty, Rankine, McAdam, E.Himmelburg, Gollant, Pedlar, Tex (2024), Welsh (2025) is the likely group going forward.

I agree, if we land Harry Himmelberg I suspect it will be as a backman, but he comes with the luxury of being able to switch him up forward if needed.

He's a restricted free agent and given the Giants have massive issues with their salary cap, I suspect they'll be prepared to let him leave and not match our bid.

I agree, if we land Harry Himmelberg we'll play him as a defender, but we also have the luxury of being able to switch him up forward.

He's a restricted free agent and given the Giants have massive issues with their salary cap, I suspect they'll be prepared to let him leave and not match our bid.
Himmelburg, Redman in as free agents, Doedee out?

(confirmed yet also busted) Redman has 5 year deal on the table from Adelaide
no idea the accuracy of this but just saw on the Redman thread a poster from Melbourne put this up (I know we don't usually drag posts from outside here but this is harmless and not having a crack at the poster - just passing on what he said)

Latest mail he is he sort of waiting to see what happens with Parish.

Parish wants close to a million a year in his next contract, which Essendon are hesitant to pay. If Parish goes Redman likely stays as cash will be freed up.

If Parish stays Adelaide have a 5 year deal on the table

no idea the accuracy of this but just saw on the Redman thread a poster from Melbourne put this up (I know we don't usually drag posts from outside here but this is harmless and not having a crack at the poster - just passing on what he said)

Parish wants close to a million a year in his next contract, which Essendon are hesitant to pay. If Parish goes Redman likely stays as cash will be freed up.

We swap Smith with Redman and we become scary.

Essendon should definitely stump up 1 mill for parish 😆

100% we'd be after HH as a back man, but a back man with utility.
If Doedee does go ( I gather his decision is more around where the team is headed, ie he wants to play finals, it's not about money) then we'd lose any compensation if we brought another FA in. But I'd still do it.

100% we'd be after HH as a back man, but a back man with utility.
If Doedee does go ( I gather his decision is more around where the team is headed, ie he wants to play finals, it's not about money) then we'd lose any compensation if we brought another FA in. But I'd still do it.
Any compensation for doedee if he leaves is gonna be a second rounder at best..

no one’s offering doods a $750-800k+ a year salary which is what it takes to get band 1.

if we lose doedee and bring in Redman or HH (or both) then we wont exactly lose sleep over the loss in compo for Doedee.

Any compensation for doedee if he leaves is gonna be a second rounder at best..

no one’s offering doods a $750-800k+ a year salary which is what it takes to get band 1.

if we lose doedee and bring in Redman or HH (or both) then we wont exactly lose sleep over the loss in compo for Doedee.
If the offers for Doedee are in the 500-600K mark - 4 years lets say, I'd be matching it as I'd have no problems keeping him for that money, but if he wants to go, then its a trade scenario and e might get decent picks for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back