Rumour 2023 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 33!, 1 BIG FISH ALERT last October 4th) (7 confirmed! 11 Busted!)

Will Clayton Oliver join the Adelaide Crows?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given Hamish rated Harrison Himmelberg highly enough to put in a bid a fair bit before he was expected to go in his draft year forcing GWS to take him with pick 16 I have a feeling he may be a bigger target for us than Redman.

Ultimately it's likely to be an easier assignment if Harry does want to come given GWS's salary cap stress?

Given Hamish rated Harrison Himmelberg highly enough to put in a bid a fair bit before he was expected to go in his draft year forcing GWS to take him with pick 16 I have a feeling he may be a bigger target for us than Redman.

Ultimately it's likely to be an easier assignment if Harry does want to come given GWS's salary cap stress?
I also wonder if extending Bergs's contract was part of the strategy to get Harry here. Either Berg or Billy. One had to go. Might have been easy with Harry a F/A.
I'll take Redmond or HH. Both good.

I also wonder if extending Bergs's contract was part of the strategy to get Harry here. Either Berg or Billy. One had to go. Might have been easy with Harry a F/A.
I'll take Redmond or HH. Both good.
Reckon its more that we’d have actually kept both himm and frampton as depth if we had the choice..

I think Billy actually wanted to go for more opportunity..

Which it looks like he actually has gotten.

Good on Billy. Hope he wins a flag.

Much of the media loves kicking us historically.

will never forget (or forgive) the following..

Crows suffered greater draft sanctions for Tippetts dodgy agreement (where we ended up ultimately self reporting and owned up ie effectively pleaded guilty), than Bombers did over their systemic doping experiments, destruction of records, cover ups and disputatious behaviour overall (ie effectively not only pleading not guilty but obstructing justice through record destructions etc). No sane person could say Bombers situation didn’t warrant much harsher draft penalties compared to what we were handed out.

another absolute ******* joke by the VFL commisssion

we didn't self report everything though, we tried to hide the Balfours marketing $ we diverted direct to tippett. Plus Bombers did what we didn't, which was sack the employees that they wanted sacked. We had all agreed on 1 year of draft penalties and Trigg sacked. Trigg refused to go and was going to bring the board down with him, so they chose to protect themselves instead of acting in the best interests of the club. Maybe you don't remember Vlad saying Dons got lesser penalties than us because they cooperated with the AFL and Rob Chapman crapping on about how he was rewriting a letter as we speak. Vlad laughed and smugly said he'd love for the Crows to let their members know everything that happened. Essendon definitely got off lightly, but we made a rod for our own back when our board protected themselves instead of executing their duties.

we didn't self report everything though, we tried to hide the Balfours marketing $ we diverted direct to tippett. Plus Bombers did what we didn't, which was sack the employees that they wanted sacked. We had all agreed on 1 year of draft penalties and Trigg sacked. Trigg refused to go and was going to bring the board down with him, so they chose to protect themselves instead of acting in the best interests of the club. Maybe you don't remember Vlad saying Dons got lesser penalties than us because they cooperated with the AFL and Rob Chapman crapping on about how he was rewriting a letter as we speak. Vlad laughed and smugly said he'd love for the Crows to let their members know everything that happened. Essendon definitely got off lightly, but we made a rod for our own back when our board protected themselves instead of executing their duties.
Wasn't the $50K per year within our salary cap anyway lol. The AFL was more harsh on us due to the draft tampering because we had an email stating we agree to trade Tippett to the club of his choice for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, we should have done what other clubs do and give players verbal agreement and just back out of them when the time comes.

Wasn't the $50K per year within our salary cap anyway lol. The AFL was more harsh on us due to the draft tampering because we had an email stating we agree to trade Tippett to the club of his choice for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, we should have done what other clubs do and give players verbal agreement and just back out of them when the time comes.

Better would have been to just trade Tippett. What a waste of brown paper bags.

Very dominate after his AFL ban and was the best forward/ruck in the AFL and played in the Grand Final didn't he? Then got a series of injuries and retired early and Sydney still had to pay his salary lol.

So 8 good games. Yes.

Ok thanks, yes a few of these facts you recall are either new information or a little hazy to me.I wasn’t aware we had been explicitly offered only one year of sanctions if Trigg resigned. I actually thought someone from the AFL - probably Vlad - said sanctions would have been harsher if we hadnt cooperated. But I do also recall Vlad making other comments along the lines you quoted.

Either way anyone following Vlads career post AFL would need to be very careful what they say about the man in a public forum from a potential defamation perspective. The actions of companies he was a Director, or “shadow“ Director of had some very detailed articles in Fairfax media in recent years. I do love Fairfaxs ability to really go after these sort of “hold em to account” stories compared to News Corp predominantly tabloid substance. In terms of overall corporate governance- without excusing the crows ****** at all but Vlad and the AFL were hardly best practise in his reign and not sure it can all be taken as gospel.

my own feeling is the whole, or part of the Board, was aware of the deal - making it even worse from our perspective- and Trigg become the fall guy being suspended for a period. Clearly it was Snr Reid that did the deal I think with Trigg and some of the Boards understanding and by Trigg being the fall guy it stopped even worse sanctions against the club if the Board knew of this conduct, (2) stopped Trigg potentially suing the club for unfair dismissal if my theory is correct. I just can’t believe Roo as Footy Director, and having seen already large outflows of players in recent years like Bock, Davis etc wouldn’t have been aware of this special clause.

either way, Dons still deserved harsher draft sanctions although they were stripped of playing in he finals (they were likely bundled out week one anyway) and then the suspensions the following year only left them with Mc Grath as,one of the most underwhelming number ones this century

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yea correct. The marketing money wasn’t an overly material component of the whole matter, it was the letter trying to circumvent the normal trading process which was clearly in breach.

as an amusing aside, discussing getting Dawson with Reid and my suggestion to “play hard ball “ (threat of PSD) and recounting back the Tippett fiasco when Swans bent us over, his exact words “I have a long memory”

I rate Reidy very highly. He is a tough bast@rd just like his old man was. His recent trade additions to the club, league leading pick swaps have been excellent and suddenly the list looks in a good spot but we all know form is fickle. If we lose 4 of next 5 no doubt the nay sayers will be back but I truly believe we have shown this year we are on our way. Too 8 next few years, a couple more building blocks looking top 4 (Redman, HH) and a truly elite mid or 2 and we would be right up there as the most talented squad with up to 10 elite or near elite players on the books. And we are young and inexperienced.

Better would have been to just trade Tippett. What a waste of brown paper bags.
Yes the year before when Lions wanted him was the huge ** up as we were offered a top 10 pick (might have been top 6 even). To roll the dice in such a risk taking manner was truly ridiculous by the club back then when they were already pinned into a corner with the email that has the potential to BlOW up at any stage. In hindsight, having a pick 6 in 2011 and then a First and second round picks in 2012 and 2013 would have made the team undoubtedly stronger in the decade since. Very painful and our biggest ** up. Up there with Vlad demanding we sack Rendell after his “one non indigenous parent“ comment which saw AFL indigenous liaison officer highly offended before he then went doing multiple dodgy things himself over coming years

Last edited:
That doesnt prove anything. If anything he cost them a flag with his pea heart. Not to mention retiring with 3 years to run on his contract.
Bruh, he was averaging 3 goals per game then 2.5 and 2 goals per game while playing more ruck. He was an A grade and borderline elite player and contested marking beast.

Wasn’t he one of 2 GWS players we bid on? Who was the other? Hopper? Perryman?

Yea correct. The marketing money wasn’t an overly material component of the whole matter, it was the letter trying to circumvent the normal trading process which was clearly in breach.

as an amusing aside, discussing getting Dawson with Reid and my suggestion to “play hard ball “ (threat of PSD) and recounting back the Tippett fiasco when Swans bent us over, his exact words “I have a long memory”

I rate Reidy very highly. He is a tough bast@rd just like his old man was. His recent trade additions to the club, league leading pick swaps have been excellent and suddenly the list looks in a good spot but we all know form is fickle. If we lose 4 of next 5 no doubt the nay sayers will be back but I truly believe we have shown this year we are on our way. Too 8 next few years, a couple more building blocks looking top 4 (Redman, HH) and a truly elite mid or 2 and we would be right up there as the most talented squad with up to 10 elite or near elite players on the books. And we are young and inexperienced.

no, diverting money from a club sponsor to a player is a very big no no. And it was the evidence of that which came with the "don't let the AFL know about this" email from Trigg.

no, diverting money from a club sponsor to a player is a very big no no. And it was the evidence of that which came with the "don't let the AFL know about this" email from Trigg.
Yes it’s a no no but very common I would imagine and almost impossible to police from the AFLs perspective. The absolute stupidity was putting this all in writing which is truly mind blowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back