List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Courtesy of Lore

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait do Melbourne have 6, 11 and 14 now? If I read that right then FFS.

We’ve got what, 12?

I need to check out until the draft is over.

Edit: they traded 14, but still, they have 2 first rounders before us despite a premiership and 2 top 4 finishes in the last 3 years. Hope we do something soon trade wise cause I’m getting impatient.
They traded out Luke Jackson and received a number of 1st round picks.

We'd have similar picks if we traded out Max or Mattaes or Nasiah.

If North Melbourne don't turn into a triple premiership winning powerhouse over the next decade they should be relocated to PNG.

The stockpiling they've been able to pull off with the 3x 1st rounders from the AFL is insane. That's after getting multiple picks last year as well.

Lord ******* help the AFL if North are bottom 2 again in 2024 because the cry for assistance will come again... Eagles are already gearing up their own pitch for a few extra picks and they won the flag 5 years ago!!
The eagles one is a huge moral hazard. They sold the farm after the 2018 flag to acquire Tim Kelly and to keep the run going.

If they get additional picks, they essentially got a no consequences free hit at keeping their premiership window open.

If he doesn't accept a contract from us after we match, he could end up in the pre season draft. But then he'd be off to North or Hawthorn so not the best scenario for Essendon either.
I may be wrong but i would very highly doubt Gresh would walk to the PSD. His main reason for doing all this is just to get more money. If we give him what Essendon are offering than I don't see him leaving

The article is full of Dildorocrapola... From what I have been able to find, here is the rule as written:

Where a Restricted Free Agent’s Current Club matches the Offer and the Player wishes to participate in the AFL Competition in the following year, the Restricted Free Agent must either:
(i) enter into a Contract of Service in accordance with the Matching Offer with his Current Club within 7 days of the provision of notice of the Matching Offer to the restricted Free Agent under Rule 17.5(e); or
(ii) nominate for the Draft (unless the Player is part of an exchange under Rule 9).

Basically Gresh either accepts, or its a trade or he enters the draft where any club can take him

If they have the money to front end Gresh's contract so North/Hawks dont take him for free, they have enough to give him a contract that gets us end of first round compo.
Haha how backwards is it.

“We won’t pay Gresham more then he is worth”

Also Essendon.

“Here is 800k if you come via the PsD”

We have reached 'threaten Pre Season draft' stage of negotiations with Essendon.

Essendon could wait for pre-season draft to land Saint Gresham​

Essendon could attempt to snare St Kilda’s Jade Gresham in the pre-season draft in the event the Saints match a bid for the free agent goal kicker.
The Bombers could front-end Gresham’s contract to snare him in the draft in a similar manner to the way Carlton landed Jack Martin in 2019.

Importantly, Essendon has significant salary cap space to be able to put a price on Gresham’s head to help ward off rival clubs, such as Hawthorn and Fremantle, earlier in the draft order.

The Blues landed Martin for nothing with a heavily front-ended seven-figure first-year salary after Gold Coast baulked at a second-round pick trade offer from Carlton.

But the Bombers’ preference is to secure Gresham as a free agent as part of a move which could generate either an end-of-first-round or second-round compensation pick for the Saints.

St Kilda on Wednesday said the club would consider keeping Gresham at the club due to his strong relationship with Ross Lyon if the compensation pick was not end-of-first-round.

The Saints could also match a bid in an effort to strike a better trade deal – similar to GWS Giants with Geelong on Jeremy Cameron – but Essendon does not want to trade, raising the prospect of a pre-season draft bailout.

The Bombers may be only willing to pay Gresham $600,000 a year, which would likely result in a second-round compensation pick, instead of $700,000, which could trigger end-of-first-round compensation.

St Kilda lost gun onballer Luke Ball to the draft to Collingwood for nothing in 2009 after the Saints’ trade talks with Collingwood broke down. Martin followed in 2019 in a huge coup for the Blues where Stephen Silvagni (now at St Kilda) was list manager until December that year.

Essendon has about a $2.5 million war chest to spend on its four targets – Ben McKay, Todd Goldstein, Gresham and Xavier Duursma – although Duursma will have to be traded.

St Kilda has pick 13 in next month’s draft and have been in talks with clubs, including North Melbourne, about potentially swapping its pick either up or down the draft order.

Another top-25 pick could give the Saints some flexibility to target either pick eight from Geelong or Essendon’s pick nine to get into the top-10 where the best players are.

Recruiters are convinced there is a considerable talent drop-off after pick nine or 10, making picks in the teens a trickier prospect in this year’s talent pool.

Essendon list boss Adrian Dodoro said the Bombers, who have begun a successful trade period already snaring two key players, would lodge a bid for Gresham by Thursday afternoon.

“We are probably going to lodge documentation in the next 24 hours,” Dodoro said on AFL Trade Radio.

“We haven’t discussed anything with St Kilda (regards a trade) we are just talking to his management (Matt Bain from TLA) at the present time.”

The Bombers have picks nine and 30 and could hold on to them until draft night when the club could be open for talks about a pick swap.

Remarkably, key defender Daniel Curtin could slide to the bottom half of the top-10 as rivals zero in on some other exciting playmakers amid concerns Curtin may want to return home to Western Australia.

St Kilda head of football David Misson said the Saints may match an offer for Gresham to either keep him or force Essendon to stump up more in a trade.

The Saints are also looking to bring in Carlton onballer Paddy Dow and Fremantle playmaker Liam Henry.

But the Saints need a pick for Gresham.

“The ball is really in Essendon’s court to lodge an offer for Jade and his management is working with Essendon to get that going,” Misson said.

“Once that is done we need to decide whether we are going to match that offer or potentially facilitate a trade there.

“If we decided to match there would be a trade, but depending on the offer Essendon made that would obviously drive that compensation for us.

“We are hoping for as good a compensation pick as we can there but it is totally dependent on the offer that Essendon makes.

“Jade is a very high-level player, he kicked 20 goals for us this year and he has been a really established player at St Kilda and we are hoping to get an end-of-first-round pick is what we would be after there.”

If Saints match Essendon’s bid for Gresham why would he go in the draft or PSD? He is getting the deal he has agreed to.

We’ll match and he’ll stay. Gresham would never do the dirty on St Kilda like that.

Dodoro leaking to the media again. What a hero. He just cannot get simple deals done simply. A complete drama Queen.

This rubbish about front ending deals to draft the player, rather than trading, is sad and pitiful. Completely embarrassing.

If i was the club, and we thought the offer was matchable.
I'd be getting RL to meet face to face with Gresh, tell him we think he's worth that much to us, ask him if he's happy to stay.

THEN I'd match if he's ok with it.

The rest is just BS.
They won't want to trade a first round pick any more than we wanted to trade a first round pick for Crouch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only thing I took from that article.

“St Kilda has pick 13 in next month’s draft and have been in talks with clubs, including North Melbourne, about potentially swapping its pick either up or down the draft order”

I think we may be trading it for a couple of late teens or early 20s picks based on Misson’s comments on SEN.

“St Kilda has pick 13 in next month’s draft and have been in talks with clubs, including North Melbourne, about potentially swapping its pick either up or down the draft order”

I imagine everyone is talking to North at the minute after being handed the keys to the first round of this years draft.

After today's batch of pick swaps, by the time we get into position to trade it will probably be to late.

I think we may be trading it for a couple of late teens or early 20s picks based on Misson’s comments on SEN.

If we were to trade out of the 1st round, I'd be asking for the resignation of the Misson, SOS and Gubby. As it is the late teen picks will be lucky to still be in the teens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back