2nds 2024 Adelaide Crows SANFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully we can encourage someone like Jack Michaelanney not to nominate for the draft this year and sign him up for the SANFL team.

Get him in our system for a year or two and see how he develops without losing our access to him.

Hopefully we can encourage someone like Jack Michaelanney not to nominate for the draft this year and sign him up for the SANFL team.

Get him in our system for a year or two and see how he develops without losing our access to him.
The year was this year to do that. Like we did with Welsh. We were able to have Father sons play for us in the SANFL the year before their draft year.

I'd expect Jay Boyle to stay, he's been pretty handy.

Could easily play SANFL for another club ala Pierce Seymour.
I don't think he ever missed a game unless it was for injury, hell much to my chagrin a lot of the time he was playing midfield and kids we drafted as mids were playing forward etc.

Yeah that was a bit of a bug bear of mine too.

Quality player at that level mind you, as is Tahana.
Tahana goes hard but just like as a junior his ball use is pretty average...I think that's why he didn't get drafted when the expectation was he would.

Tahana goes hard but just like as a junior his ball use is pretty average...I think that's why he didn't get drafted when the expectation was he would.
Was a bit of a "coaster" as well, laconic style and looks lazy at times.

Hence why he was playing D3 ammos which is well beneath his talent.

Darren Chandler in his 5AA interview last week made the same point I have, SANFL players aren’t going to leave their clubs to play for us especially.

Why would an established player who is no hope of getting drafted leave a true SANFL club whose goal is to win the flag, not rest players during finals?

Then those players will have to compete with the development priorities of the AFL side both in selection and positional.

Finally why would we want more experienced players getting in the way of the development of our AFL players? Let’s say we bring in an experienced Mid and our side is also littered with AFL young mids needing development, what’s our priorities?
It's an interesting one. I imagine the majority of players who would come across would have an eye on getting under our noses as a draft chance, a la Toby Murray.

Look at Logan Evans, for example. Undrafted as an 18yo out of Norwood - crossed over to Port's reserves - Port get a proper look at him in their system, and decide to pick him mid-season. Early days but looks to be a great pickup.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds 2024 Adelaide Crows SANFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back