Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread (Wed Nov 20 to Fri Nov 22)

Which realistically available player SHOULD we pick at #4?

• Sid Draper

• Jagga Smith

• Harvey Langford

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Was it known how big our offer was in the end?

Im guessing once he rejected us, part of that chunk of money would’ve gone towards Peatling + bumping up Cumming’s to get him over the line
The club said they were into Peatling for a while and when we were after Luko. There’s no way bumping up Cummings deal and grabbing Luko would have absorbed the $700k minimum offer for Luko.

Besides Mostyn is saying better to use that money now on retaining players, the only player we’ve resigned is Fog by extending his contract.

Very unlikely Langford
I think we will be stoked if Smith is still there at 4 and couldn’t get the card in quick enough. Langford looks like a great player but the combination of being slow and left footed makes him unlikely for us. Dawson, Crouch, Curtin, Hinge and Worrell all being similar left foot kicks in transition and our midfield being pretty glacial in foot speed should dictate us tossing up between Draper and Smith, with Smith being the better fit. Rankine and Jagga partnership at stoppages would be absolutely elite.

The club said they were into Peatling for a while and when we were after Luko. There’s no way bumping up Cummings deal and grabbing Luko would have absorbed the $700k minimum offer for Luko.

Besides Mostyn is saying better to use that money now on retaining players, the only player we’ve resigned is Fog by extending his contract.
Wouldn’t have fully absorbed it, but I imagine it would’ve taken up a good chunk of it. Even if we were interested in Peatling before Luko chose Port, I reckon we would’ve raised our offer after

But unless I’m missing context, there’s not a whole lot of contracts that end in 25 or 26 that might need a larger chunk of money than expected to get over the line? Murray and Curtin, can’t really think of anyone else

Isnt this 2025 money? We need room in our 2024 cap to delist a contracted player.

Smith the elite extractor, accumulator .....questions around hurt factor with disposals
FOS, less disposals, but higher hurt factor than Smith

Because of RICH's love affair with Dusty ....you can bet, Lalor ends up at RICH

I'll be happy with Draper, or any of that top 4 rated players (exc Ashcroft)
Just catching up with things. Twomey has Langford at 3 in his form guide

127638_Phantom-Form-Guide_October-Straps_3_FA-1x.jpg

Last month's Form Guide ranking: 2

Langford's standout result at the Combine was his 2km time trial, when the Dandenong Stingrays midfielder completed the run in 6:24 minutes, placing him inside the top-10. It is a trait reflected in his game, with Langford gut running right to the end of contests. He had a terrific draft campaign, with the marking on-baller dominant at all levels. The left-footer's carnival for Vic Country saw him named a joint winner of the Larke Medal while his Stingrays performances were clinical, averaging more than a goal a game and 26 disposals. Langford's appeal comes in his size, presence, versatility and impact – he will be playing significant AFL footy next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd go Langford over Smith, because I think Langford has more hurt factor. We've also got Rankine and Peatling (and to lesser extent Edwards) for pace and burst.

Ideally Smith or Langford goes top 3, then we can get the exact type of mid we want.

But gee, we're splitting hairs. They're all pretty good.
(Excluding Ashcroft) sounds like top 5 mids are almost can’t miss territory. Wonder who is there at 4 - Langford and Smith likely it seems to me

Was it known how big our offer was in the end?

Im guessing once he rejected us, part of that chunk of money would’ve gone towards Peatling + bumping up Cumming’s to get him over the line
Surely we had enough for both Luko AND Peatling as both were “in play” simultaneously. Cummings offer definitely sounds like bumped up but can’t imagine more than 100-125k per year,

We should still have a stack of spare salary cap esp if front loading longer player contracts and only operating near the 95% level in recent years

TT also extended old mate

For me if Lalor and Fos are both off the board and it comes down to choosing between Draper and Smith it's a no brainer Draper by plenty for 2 reasons mostly speed and impact per possession and no go home factor Cardijn College/Crows supporter vs Melbourne Private Schol boy/Scotch College/Collingwood supporter.

Last edited:
Here my go at the top 6

1. Lalor - Rich (the next Dusty for them).
2. Levi Ashcroft - Bris (Bris match Norfs bid).
3. Langford - North (size point of difference for them).
4. FOS - Carlton
5. Draper - AFC
6. Smith - Melbourne

Fun fact : Michael Smith drafted to Collingwood with pick 53 in the 1988 AFL draft originally from Devonport Tasmania.

Do we have Hamish's Tasmanian link with his Son Jagga in 2024? 🤣😂

Haha Wayne you’ve done this before by memory

Ruled out someone categorically then we’ve taken them

Always expect the unexpected and be open to possibilities
Nope ....happy for you to try and prove me incorrect

You boohooed my call on Caleb Windsor last year ....can't recall your comments on my Mac Andrew call ?

I'm comfortable with my Langford call

BTW ...bog average Redman says Hi ;)

Slow-Motion-App-iPhone-The-Matrix-Bullet-Time-Gif-Keanu-Reeves-Bullet-Time-Slow-Motion-iPhone-App-Smartphone-314965.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread (Wed Nov 20 to Fri Nov 22)

Back