Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread (Wed Nov 20 to Fri Nov 22)

Which realistically available player SHOULD we pick at #4?

• Sid Draper

• Jagga Smith

• Harvey Langford

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I have the feeling we’ll take Smith. Even if I would prefer Draper.

Langford is a hard one to navigate. He’s now slow by any means, and seems to create time and space to utilise his beautiful kicking.

I see him as a Jordan Dawson/Hayden Young clone, but I can’t see any club before Melbourne pulling the trigger given their midfields.
Since you’re here, what are your thoughts on Carlton trading up to 3? Seemed to be widely lauded but I felt it was a strange move given you have more A graders then anyone but lack depth of good players. 2 1st rd picks in this draft may suit Carlton’s list more than 1 top 5 pick, along with the strong need for a kpd. Unless the Blues are also seduced by Tauru and assume North will trade down or not reach that far for him.

baaaall! probably has more idea than most, but I think someone else posted a while ago that they caught Draper's pars defect early enough to manage his workload to address it.

I think that they expect to need to track the condition and manage into next year, but it's not considered a long term issue (apparently a condition that affects growing kids, but goes away once growing stops/ settles).

baaaall! does that sound right?
Sorry for the late reply. Yes you are correct, it is not a long term injury if managed correctly.

My Son was playing a bunch of Volleyball and it caused stress on certain parts of his back. Scans revealed that he had a Pars Defect, which essentially meant that if he continued and not rested it would have turned into a fracture.

It was recommended that he sit out of all sports for 12 months (which was not cool for a 17 yo at the time trying to make state teams). We had another scan at about 10 months and it was all healed and he was able to ease back into it. Hasn't had an issue again.

My top 12 phantom assuming Richmond go for Lalor. Looking forward to the rage. :p

1. RICH. Lalor
2. ADEL. FOS (trade NM/ADL)
3. BRIS. Ashcroft
4. CARL. Smith
5. RICH. Langford (trade NM/RICH)

6. MELB. Draper
7. NM. Armstrong
8. STK. Smillie
9. STK. Reid
10. MELB. Tauru

11. RICH. Travaglia
12. NM. Trainor

Trades

ADL: 4 + F1
NM: 2 + F2

NM: 5 + F1 (ADL)
RICH: 7 + 12

Thoughts

ADL (FOS) - for a drop from 12 to 23 in 2025 (approx) we're getting the kid that I think would be number 1 with a full uninterrupted year. He may even be number 1 with the interrupted year. Pick 12 in a weak draft next year isn't necessarily going to feature in our next premiership but FOS absolutely would. Focus on free agents/trading in next year.

NM (ARMSTRONG, TRAINOR) - Arguably the two best talls. One with family ties to NM.

RICH (LALOR, LANGFORD, TRAVAGLIA, 18, 20) - What's not to like. Move a pick into the future. Could also go Draper over Langford.

MELB - Make out like bandits.

My top 12 phantom assuming Richmond go for Lalor. Looking forward to the rage. :p

1. RICH. Lalor
3. BRIS. Ashcroft
4. CARL. Smith

6. MELB. Draper
7. NM. Armstrong
8. STK. Smillie
9. STK. Reid
10. MELB. Tauru

11. RICH. Travaglia
12. NM. Trainor

Trades

Thoughts

ADL (FOS) - for a drop from 12 to 23 in 2025 (approx) we're getting the kid that I think would be number 1 with a full uninterrupted year. He may even be number 1 with the interrupted year. Pick 12 in a weak draft next year isn't necessarily going to feature in our next premiership but FOS absolutely would. Focus on free agents/trading in next year.

NM (ARMSTRONG, TRAINOR) - Arguably the two best talls. One with family ties to NM.

RICH (LALOR, LANGFORD, TRAVAGLIA, 18, 20) - What's not to like. Move a pick into the future. Could also go Draper over Langford.

No rage, but I think we will really, really want to keep our F1 so we can continue to build the list with experienced players via trade next year. Look at what we’ve been able to do to get Dawson, Rankine, ANB etc.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

1. RICH. Lalor
3. BRIS. Ashcroft
4. CARL. Smith

6. MELB. Draper
7. NM. Armstrong
8. STK. Smillie
9. STK. Reid
10. MELB. Tauru

11. RICH. Travaglia
12. NM. Trainor

Trades

Thoughts

North aren't getting a first rounder for a two pick downgrade.

With Stephenson retiring from North does it clear up a list spot for them to split 2? They have enough midfielders. Makes sense to slide maybe to Saints' 7&8 and take Tauru and Travaglia or similar?
You can guarantee if the Saints move up to pick 2 who ever they take will be a bust and picks 7 and 8 will go on to be key Premiership players with North in like 7 years time

Trades

Im Not No Way GIF

With Stephenson retiring from North does it clear up a list spot for them to split 2? They have enough midfielders. Makes sense to slide maybe to Saints' 7&8 and take Tauru and Travaglia or similar?
I agree it makes sense for the Roos to do that, but I can't see Saints giving that up for pick 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since you’re here, what are your thoughts on Carlton trading up to 3? Seemed to be widely lauded but I felt it was a strange move given you have more A graders then anyone but lack depth of good players. 2 1st rd picks in this draft may suit Carlton’s list more than 1 top 5 pick, along with the strong need for a kpd. Unless the Blues are also seduced by Tauru and assume North will trade down or not reach that far for him.

I keep changing my thinking on the trading up for Pick 3.

On the one hand, you’re right in that we need solid depth and need to prioritise KP coverage down back.

However, I think the club is of the understanding that we are in the window now and wanted to access to an immediate impact player at the top end of the draft to act as a point of difference with our current contested/slow midfield group.

I’m assuming they also wanted one last crack at top line talent via the draft before Tasmania comes into play and dilutes the pool.

It’s a very steep price to pay though (1st Round, F1 + F2), unless they have a free agent already lined up for next year.

North aren't getting a first rounder for a two pick downgrade.

If they were downgrading, they getting that every day of the week, and then some. Upgrading a pick in the top 5 costs a 1st at a minimum.

1. RICH. Lalor
3. BRIS. Ashcroft
4. CARL. Smith

6. MELB. Draper
7. NM. Armstrong
8. STK. Smillie
9. STK. Reid
10. MELB. Tauru

11. RICH. Travaglia
12. NM. Trainor

Trades

Thoughts

Unfortunately it falls over at the first hurdle for me.

4 + F1 is not a price I am willing to entertain. Not in a draft where there is a smorgasbord of talent up to and including pick 4

My top 12 phantom assuming Richmond go for Lalor. Looking forward to the rage.

1. RICH. Lalor
3. BRIS. Ashcroft
4. CARL. Smith

6. MELB. Draper
7. NM. Armstrong
8. STK. Smillie
9. STK. Reid
10. MELB. Tauru

11. RICH. Travaglia
12. NM. Trainor

Trades

Thoughts

Yeah, that Adelaide trade is absolute crapola.

I still have a feeling we might try to grab a F2 using some of the F3's we have and then go to North with that and 4 for 2. North could effectively step trade their way down and gather good draft picks along the way as their next trade could be with Richmond for 6 and 18 for 4 (especially if Smith is on the board still at 4)

GWS did it with us for a LESS valuable upgrade (6->4) taking Ash and giving us pick 6 and GWS F1 (Pedlar)

# but agree it’s a lot to give up and wouldn’t want us doing it - esp with such an even top 5
Completely different as they did that to stop us bidding on Tom Green so they could get an extra 1st round pick in before a bid was coming for him. So they essentially moved their F1 into the draft of the day

Completely different as they did that to stop us bidding on Tom Green so they could get an extra 1st round pick in before a bid was coming for him. So they essentially moved their F1 into the draft of the day

Almost but it was Swans with Green

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread (Wed Nov 20 to Fri Nov 22)

Back