Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread (Wed Nov 20 to Fri Nov 22)

Which realistically available player SHOULD we pick at #4?

• Sid Draper

• Jagga Smith

• Harvey Langford

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

If they were downgrading, they getting that every day of the week, and then some. Upgrading a pick in the top 5 costs a 1st at a minimum.
Missing the crucial context that if North are entertaining a downgrade it’s very likely because they want to be targeting a KPP with their first pick anyway, whether they’re using pick 2 on him or using a later pick and getting extra value. I asked the North board if they’d consider 2 for 4 and F2 which was met with a generally positive response. In a draft as even as this coughing up the F1 would be complete madness.

I think he’s taking his name literally, he’s bored of the draft and wants to spice it up.
As long as AFC are not thinking along similar lines as would be up there as our most stupid trade of all time.

Would be a different story if a standout top 2 players, but this year it's pretty even to our pick.

Completely different as they did that to stop us bidding on Tom Green so they could get an extra 1st round pick in before a bid was coming for him. So they essentially moved their F1 into the draft of the day
On top of that, if we draft Serong, Young, Day instead of McAsey at pick 6 we suddenly make out like complete bandits in that deal.

You’re trading for players, not the pick number, hence the value changes every year. You could almost justify the pick 2 & 3 asking price for Harley Reid, or the godfather offer for JHF but it’d obviously be completely laughable this year.

No surprise that Charlie West would be a family friend of Lukosius, his grandfather is Wayne Jackson who played for West Torrens and was the AFL's CEO for a period, Jack's father Robert played for Woodville/West Torrens. Charlie is a decent prospect too, one of the best contested marks in this draft.

No surprise that Charlie West would be a family friend of Lukosius, his grandfather is Wayne Jackson who played for West Torrens and was the AFL's CEO for a period, Jack's father Robert played for Woodville/West Torrens. Charlie is a decent prospect too, one of the best contested marks in this draft.
And he’s a crow fan as well !

People do realise that even if we did have list spots and assuming we still traded in cumming peatling and ANB, we wouldn't have early picks? Like none until 60+. Could've had one in the 40s if we'd chosen not to trade it.
Maybe we could've traded future picks to get back in, but that assumes a club wants to trade out of this draft which if it is so great we'd likely have to pay overs to convince them

Complete madness imo to give away a future 1st to get a player ranked around the same mark.

There will be a very good player available at pick 4.

Not giving away a first round pick.

It's approximately a 12 spot downgrade in a draft that doesn't sound great for a 2 spot upgrade at the pointy end of a draft that is great.

Next year we also have access to 2x future firsts (2026, 2027) we can trade to get back in or trade for players. There are teams with academy picks that will be trading out of the first round. So I don't actually feel like we're compromising our trading next year due to those 2027 picks being available.

The only way it's a bad trade is if the Crows have another stinker which I think is highly unlikely.

Also this assumption that all players in the top 10 are similar quality is not realistic. I think there are tiers and I want a selection in the very top tier.

Unfortunately it falls over at the first hurdle for me.

4 + F1 is not a price I am willing to entertain. Not in a draft where there is a smorgasbord of talent up to and including pick 4

There's a lot of talent but you have to remember each club has their preferred players sorted in a ranked list, or at the very least tiers. So unless you know Hamish and know he has ranked the top 5 players evenly then it's just crazy saying we're happy with the guy we get at 4 because they're all so even. That's simply not true.

We would have a clear ranking with this top 4. So what you're saying is you're happy settling for the guy we have potentially 4th on our list. I'm saying, I'd rather slide our first back to norths second next year and get the guy we want 1st or 2nd most in this draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a lot of talent but you have to remember each club has their preferred players sorted in a ranked list, or at the very least tiers. So unless you know Hamish and know he has ranked the top 5 players evenly then it's just crazy saying we're happy with the guy we get at 4 because they're all so even. That's simply not true.

We would have a clear ranking with this top 4. So what you're saying is you're happy settling for the guy we have potentially 4th on our list. I'm saying, I'd rather slide our first back to norths second next year and get the guy we want 1st or 2nd most in this draft.
I think that would play if there were guys in that top mix that weren't needs for us, inside mids, talls etc. But all of those 4 guys that everyone is talking about + a bunch of others, are great fits for us. If we miss on 3, the 4th is great. They all have either speed, skill or a dynamic style that our midfield mix needs. To give up a F1 to get one over another, probably isn't wise.

And if we're talking about next year not being a strong draft...that's what they said last year about the 2024 crop. Our list is pretty decent for B graders (and I use that term respectfully, I reserve A grade for the elite talent of the game) what we lack are A graders. To get more elite talent in - whether that's a NWM or a shot at a Dyson Sharp or someone off radar right now, we need that 1st in hand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread (Wed Nov 20 to Fri Nov 22)

Back