2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

How would we know? Has all the attributes to be a gun in the middle, but for some reason Ross is allergic to giving it a chance.

When he has attended centre clearances as a mid, he has not gone so well.

Personally I would like to see him get an extended run at Sandy to see if he can become one.

But right now in the seniors more time there is more likely to be ugly than not.

You're literally putting words in my mouth - in what world am I suggesting he's a bust?

All I'm suggesting is that there are only two players in the entire competition in recent memory that have Patrick Cripps' physical attributes and plays at his sort of level with his sort of style - him and Bontempelli. Maybe Nat Fyfe too but he's a bit more athletic with his leap. Players like Jai Culley, Ned Long, Ed Allan have all been compared to him in the past and are nowhere near his level, let alone AFL level. I'm not saying Smillie will be as bad as them - I certainly think he'll at least be a good AFL player, but is that adequate enough for our midfield?

The reason why I wouldn't take him ahead of the likes of Jagga Draper Lalor FOS is purely because we already have a 190cm mid in Phillipou and a 191cm Owens with midfield potential. No elite midfields in the comp have more than one 190cm+ midfielder, so why should we invest in another one of those types when we could just take a mid that actually gives our midfield the potential to become an elite midfield over the next 15 years?
I actually posted NOT YOU, when I said some are saying that. Maybe read it again.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

When he has attended centre clearances as a mid, he has not gone so well.

Personally I would like to see him get an extended run at Sandy to see if he can become one.

But right now in the seniors more time there is more likely to be ugly than not.

Okay, Mitch has the 4th highest centre clearance per centre bounce attendance across our squad, behind Sinclair, Clarke and Dow, so think we can categorically say it’s not true that when he’s attended CBAs it’s not gone so well.

Also worth noting Mitchito averages 1.7 CBAs a game, mostly as an undersized ruck, so clearly not getting much opportunity to show his capability as an inside.

I get the feeling that our real season will start during the pre season, expect minutes to be put into Mitchito and Nas around the engine room. I think Ross and co know now isn’t the time to throw them in there, especially after what’s happened with Pou, and he’d rather put some structure behind making it work during the off season. Proof will be in the pudding I guess.

Like everyone has said, we need 2 mids that can win their own ball, spread with hurt factor and also win the ball back by tackling.
Pou isn’t going to be an 80+% mid

He will play a fair bit forward.

Harvey Langford is 190cm mid and probably right at pick 4 at this point. I would be perfectly fine if we took him.
Harvey Langford and Sam Lalor would be delicious

Okay, Mitch has the 4th highest centre clearance per centre bounce attendance across our squad, behind Sinclair, Clarke and Dow, so think we can categorically say it’s not true that when he’s attended CBAs it’s not gone so well.

Also worth noting Mitchito averages 1.7 CBAs a game, mostly as an undersized ruck, so clearly not getting much opportunity to show his capability as an inside.

I get the feeling that our real season will start during the pre season, expect minutes to be put into Mitchito and Nas around the engine room. I think Ross and co know now isn’t the time to throw them in there, especially after what’s happened with Pou, and he’d rather put some structure behind making it work during the off season. Proof will be in the pudding I guess.
I am talking when he has attended as a mid competing against another mid, not the chop out ruck role where he often just tries to grab the ball.

I just finished watching the Dragons vs Stingrays game. Just watching a highlights video of a player can be very misleading on players effectiveness in my view. Sandringham must have about 60 players on their list and give them all a game at some stage. None of the big named Sandringham mids played but they had a fleet a smaller nifty players who handled the blustery conditions better than Dandenong.

I think we may finally have a decent father son pick. Elwood Peckett 187cms had 17 touches through the midfield and showed he is a highly skilled kid with really quick hands and hands to feet. He is also quite fast and did a lot of the team things through the centre. He had some dynamic and effective clearances which lead to scores, which was his point of difference. The other thing I noticed was how quickly he regained his feet when he went to ground the kid is like a cat. You can see some of his dads traits at times he is definitely Frankie's son.

Cole was the only NGA Dragon out there. He is a solid defender but that's all, there is no attacking play to his game at all. He doesnt seem to be able to read the play and peel off like others and spends a lot of time ball watching. My assessment of him from the champs hasn't changed he is a rookie option at best. If we are seriously looking for a key defender Noah Mraz 198cm's is a much better footballer and does everything well, plus he is a useful ruckman also.

Langford 32 disposals, probably 6 clearances and considering he spent about 45 minutes rotating at full forward he was exceptional. He kicked 1 goal 3 behinds and had another couple of shots on goals that didnt make it, the wind was incredible and hard to read. His marking is something very special, he can use his body strength and also has a huge leap to take some nice grabs. The other thing he does is stick his tackles for a tall kid he leaves nothing behind with whole body tackles, his opponents had no hope. He has a lot of tools which will make him a very good AFL player IMO.

Cooper Hynes 190cms who has been mentioned on here before wasnt far behind Langford and also rotated at full forward. Having watched him in the champs I thought he looked a bit slow, but he is anything but slow. Like Langford he can use his big frame to win the ball on the ground and in the air and also kicks goals. Although much the same size they are different players types who also work very well together in the centre. Hynes reminds me of a taller quicker Dane Swan with the way he turns and uses his body.

A Sandringham lad I hadn't noticed much before Luke Kennedy 180cms played full midfield minutes and also stood out. He had it 30 times is quick and has some tricks and real composure. Be interesting to see if he can hold his spot in the midfield when the cavalry return.

I also went back and watched some of Taj Hotton's games. I had forgotten how good he was. The kid is so much like Shai Bolton in the way he moves and plays its scary. He makes footy look easy the way he just glides around, shimmies and turns then spears a kick to team mates with ease. If he hadnt done a knee he would have been pressing for the poll position IMO. Wouldnt be upset taking him early either!

Last edited:
How many picks do we have in the draft?
Currently Pick 4, 25 and 47 with our round 4 selection already traded.

But theoretically we can keep picking more once everyone else starts to pass rather than save picks for pre season selections.

Schoenmaker at Pick 62 lat year was actually a Round 5 selection.

I wonder how high up on the board come draft night Xavier Lindsay will go. Just backed up his best on ground performance v vic metro, with another dominant display against eastern yesterday. Looks quiet the complete player, I wonder what's holding him back from being a top 5 pick?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am talking when he has attended as a mid competing against another mid, not the chop out ruck role where he often just tries to grab the ball.

The stats which has Mitch as averaging the 4th most centre clearances per CBAs include all CBAs so both starting as a mid and ruck, so addresses your point that “When he has attended centre clearances as a mid, he has not gone so well”.

It’s a moot point anyway if he’s getting next to no opportunity to show and develop capability as a mid, but I’d argue he is showing something if he’s getting throughput for the very limited CBAs that he has.

Last edited:
I wonder how high up on the board come draft night Xavier Lindsay will go. Just backed up his best on ground performance v vic metro, with another dominant display against eastern yesterday. Looks quiet the complete player, I wonder what's holding him back from being a top 5 pick?
Feels like there is a queue of 6-7 players all fighting for claim at picks 4 & 5 of the “Live” draft.

It’s been a really interesting evolution in the last month.

Xavier Murphy Harvey Langford Sam Lalor are others.

You also have the originally mentioned Trainor, Jagga Smith, Sid Draper

I Imagine it’s going to vary wildly from club to club.

Feels like there is a queue of 6-7 players all fighting for claim at picks 4 & 5 of the “Live” draft.

It’s been a really interesting evolution in the last month.

Xavier Murphy Harvey Langford Sam Lalor are others.

You also have the originally mentioned Trainor, Jagga Smith, Sid Draper

I Imagine it’s going to vary wildly from club to club.
Hey Stav if the Saints had pick one who would you take?

The stats which has Mitch as averaging the 4th most centre clearances per CBAs include all CBAs so both starting as a mid and ruck, so addresses your point that “When he has attended centre clearances as a mid, he has not gone so well”.
How has it addressed that, when it clearly does not? Your clearances are based on his attendance as both a ruck AND as a mid.

His clearances are inflated by when he plays ruck. Against a less mobile ruck as his focus is often ball winning he has been able to gain some clearances. When he has attended as a pure mid. match against mids he has not performed that well. Plus also our mid set up this year as a group has not been that flash.
It’s a moot point anyway if he’s getting next to no opportunity to show and develop capability as a mid, but I’d argue he is showing something if he’s getting throughout for the very limited CBAs that he has.

Which is why I posted that to be developed as a mid the place to do it is at Sandi, as was done with Pou. Owens playing more as a mid at present in the seniors is unlikely to work well either for him, or his team mates.

I like Owens as a player. I am just not sure fulltime mid is the role that suits him best. Unfortunately as a HFF at present he is going through a concrete hands phase which with him he seems to have phases of.

Eventually I think he will play HHF with some runs through the middle as a mid.

Hey Stav if the Saints had pick one who would you take?
Good question.

Levi Ashcroft is in my opinion the best player.

But in the live draft I am probably leaning towards Smillie still.

As above, people talking up Lindsay’s game yesterday with his 31 touches.

Smillie had 26 touches 1 goal and 7 tackles in the same game.

He has played as a pure mid. As a Forward and off Half back. The sheer physical attributes he has just make it really hard to overlook - but I say this with complete awareness that I would hate to have pick 1 this year and absolutely love the idea we have pick 4 and maybe 5.

Will be very curious how the club approaches our ruck stocks through the trade/draft.
  • Will the club give Heath a debut before the end of the year?
  • Will the club get rid of Campbell at year end?
  • Will the club chase a young ruck in the draft? Or target a cheap mature recycled option from another club?
The current situation at Melbourne is a cautionary tale if you poorly manage ruck stocks.

Meek at the Hawks had been a huge win. Shame we didn’t get him. He spoon feeds their mids.

That all seems to set us up for having good choices of gaining two pretty good future mids. As long as Dalrymple picks the right ones.

And also that they will be genuine mids, rather than say HBs or HFs, who we hope can play midfield.

That all seems to set us up for having good choices of gaining two pretty good future mids. As long as Dalrymple picks the right ones.

And also that they will be genuine mids, rather than say HBs or HFs, who we hope can play midfield.
Thats the way it’s panning out.

I will say with the exception Trainor could be there and Murphy Reid - I’m not sure exactly what he is just yet. But that scares me. Because there are moments I get Billings vibes from him.

I just finished watching the Dragons vs Stingrays game. Just watching a highlights video of a player can be very misleading on players effectiveness in my view. Sandringham must have about 60 players on their list and give them all a game at some stage. None of the big named Sandringham mids played but they had a fleet a smaller nifty players who handled the blustery conditions better than Dandenong.

I think we may finally have a decent father son pick. Elwood Peckett 187cms had 17 touches through the midfield and showed he is a highly skilled kid with really quick hands and hands to feet. He is also quite fast and did a lot of the team things through the centre. He had some dynamic and effective clearances which lead to scores, which was his point of difference. The other thing I noticed was how quickly he regained his feet when he went to ground the kid is like a cat. You can see some of his dads traits at times he is definitely Frankie's son.

Cole was the only NGA Dragon out there. He is a solid defender but that's all, there is no attacking play to his game at all. He doesnt seem to be able to read the play and peel off like others and spends a lot of time ball watching. My assessment of him from the champs hasn't changed he is a rookie option at best. If we are seriously looking for a key defender Noah Mraz 198cm's is a much better footballer and does everything well, plus he is a useful ruckman also.

Langford 32 disposals, probably 6 clearances and considering he spent about 45 minutes rotating at full forward he was exceptional. He kicked 1 goal 3 behinds and had another couple of shots on goals that didnt make it, the wind was incredible and hard to read. His marking is something very special, he can use his body strength and also has a huge leap to take some nice grabs. The other thing he does is stick his tackles for a tall kid he leaves nothing behind with whole body tackles, his opponents had no hope. He has a lot of tools which will make him a very good AFL player IMO.

Cooper Hynes 190cms who has been mentioned on here before wasnt far behind Langford and also rotated at full forward. Having watched him in the champs I thought he looked a bit slow, but he is anything but slow. Like Langford he can use his big frame to win the ball on the ground and in the air and also kicks goals. Although much the same size they are different players types who also work very well together in the centre. Hynes reminds me of a taller quicker Dane Swan with the way he turns and uses his body.

A Sandringham lad I hadn't noticed much before Luke Kennedy 180cms played full midfield minutes and also stood out. He had it 30 times is quick and has some tricks and real composure. Be interesting to see if he can hold his spot in the midfield when the cavalry return.

I also went back and watched some of Taj Hotton's games. I had forgotten how good he was. The kid is so much like Shai Bolton in the way he moves and plays its scary. He makes footy look easy the way he just glides around, shimmies and turns then spears a kick to team mates with ease. If he hadnt done a knee he would have been pressing for the poll position IMO. Wouldnt be upset taking him early either!

Langford is looking better and better, Haynes had an average champs but looks a player. He’s one of those guys that might drift a bit but be a gun. Agree on Mraz and Cole too. Hope you’re right on Elwood. Hotton is a gun but don’t think we’ll have a pick to get him, reckon he goes around 12 to 15.

Travaglia probably the only exception. He looks like he could be good but probably goes around pick 10 to 15 so not in our range.

Thats the way it’s panning out.

I will say with the exception Trainor could be there and Murphy Reid - I’m not sure exactly what he is just yet. But that scares me. Because there are moments I get Billings vibes from him.

From Reid? I reckon if he flops it’s more Hunter Clark style. Has skills and class but might get shown up for pace in the AFL.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lindsay comes into our considerations. Especially if we have back to back picks. Hard runner, elite kick, looks like he doesn't shirk a contest. Question may be, is he a midfielder, or more of a distributor off a wing/half back

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back