2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

You can apply or be nominated, to get accepted then yes either you need to fullfill certain aspects (I got accredited in being a literal badarse GI Joe with footy talent, here's my forms) or have multiple clubs (last check was 5) agreeing that you should attend for the testing.

As noted in the article you linked to, if you lack certain things or if people are iffy on you, then you get punted to state testing instead of league testing, so this is more an initial check of who in the least has a bit of eyes their way at present, to see who fronts up at the combine to then progress to having many chats with actual clubs to then have "yeah maybe 2nd round" sort of inklings.

If you were a club with a prospective NGA, or FS wouldn't it be best to avoid the combine and do any testing in-house?

Alternatively would could tank the combine.

It's been non stop: "You NEED to do a Jack Ough video", "When are we getting your Jack Ough video", "Stop stealing my parking spot Jack Ough". So here it is, and if it gets my channel banned I'm blaming you all.

He has dancing feet like Banger and Dal Santo had - can see why he has all us Saints supporters excited. I noticed him in the champs but he didnt stand out like that. The fact that he is from Wentworth NSW and playing for GWV he must be boarding in Ballarat (St Pats?). He is averaging 21 disposals a game after 9 games with GWV. Definitely worth a look at our 2nd or 3rd round picks.

If we get two 1st round picks and take midfielders, I would look to take a tall forward who can ruck with our second pick (Sims or Gerryn). Then go for another sliding midfielder with our 3rd. Lets say we get mids Smillie, Langford & Johnson from this draft, we have Windhager, Phillipou, Owens, Garcia, Wilson & Hotton to add to the younger group. Then we still have Steele, Jones, Clark, Sinclair, Henry, Dow, Hall as the more mature group. I dont know if Ross or Crouch will play on but with 3 x young mids added to the list at this years draft should be enough.

At some stage we need to look at another ruckman also, where that comes from is anyone guess. Dodson from SA might be an option for our 2nd pick - but he hasnt nominated AFL over Basketball yet?

Last edited:
If you were a club with a prospective NGA, or FS wouldn't it be best to avoid the combine and do any testing in-house?

Alternatively would could tank the combine.

You're not hidden at all if you're part of that circle, so there's no point.

Without better terminology, footy is incestuous with those within it, where everyone largely knows each others intimacies and they just are hush hush about it since house of cards and we all crumble. This is part of why the "outlet" for pressures are always drug related, as way easy access, everyone knows someone and you have so many chemists on file that no one gives a shit unless it's media.

So you have an NGA, these people have docs at clubland, AFL is aware of it, and clubs meet weekly really, everyone is chatting with each other, you're not hiding anything, so there's no harm in going "hey Cole, you want in on combine?" just as with the Blues and Lions, there's their well known F/S options, as WGAF? test away.

Jesus, he looks really good. Hadn't noticed him but he'd suit us. What range is he meant to go at?

It's funny how different evaluations are and you can understand how clubs rate them differently. I look at the same highlights and see a player lacking in any power, explosion, pace, ability to wear a tackle and get the ball off effectively and create space effectively outside the content. I have zero draft knowledge this year but would be amazed if he's drafted prior to the 3rd round depending on the overall draft pool (based on the video posted).

Last edited:
He has dancing feet like Banger and Dal Santo had - can see why he has all us Saints supporters excited. I noticed him in the champs but he didnt stand out like that. The fact that he is from Wentworth NSW and playing for GWV he must be boarding in Ballarat (St Pats?). He is averaging 21 disposals a game after 9 games with GWV. Definitely worth a look at our 2nd or 3rd round picks.

If we get two 1st round picks and take midfielders, I would look to take a tall forward who can ruck with our second pick (Sims or Gerryn). Then go for another sliding midfielder with our 3rd. Lets say we get mids Smillie, Langford & Johnson from this draft, we have Windhager, Phillipou, Owens, Garcia, Wilson & Hotton to add to the younger group. Then we still have Steele, Jones, Clark, Sinclair, Henry, Dow, Hall as the more mature group. I dont know if Ross or Crouch will play on but with 3 x young mids added to the list at this years draft should be enough.

At some stage we need to look at another ruckman also, where that comes from is anyone guess. Dodson from SA might be an option for our 2nd pick - but he hasnt nominated AFL over Basketball yet?

Gerryn is an interesting one. He looks as elegant as an elephant on roller-skates but he's a properly huge kid who looks like he rucks and plays forward well. Rucks a lot like Marshall where he wins his own ball and boots it forward. He's hard to work out where he goes. Our second seems too early but he might drift out. Unless we can trade into some more picks I can't see us getting him but maybe with some of our trade currency like Membrey and Paton these guys might come into play. Cole is going to take a later pick as it is.

It's funny how different evaluations are and you can understand how clubs rate them differently. I look at the same highlights and see a player lacking in any power, explosion, pace, ability to wear a tackle and get the ball off effectively and create space effectively outside the content. I have zero draft knowledge this year but would be amazed if he drafted prior to the 3rd round depending on the overall draft pool.

Reminds me of how Blacres plays. A stand off the contest to receive but capable overhead and at winning loose and ground ball.

There's naturally a long long way to play out with Nas's career but he'd have to have an absolute eye popping career to surpass Nicky's career.

But....you never know.

Nas's kicking at times is absolutely sublime.

Who could forget that time in 2022 against Norf at Marvel when he marked at the foward flank....was giving Big Maxy a signal with his middle finger to lead.

Maxy duly led....marked and slotted the goal from a tight angle.

The replay showed that Nas had threaded that pass thru a forest of players.

Incredible.

Some of the "screamers" that Nicky took on the grandstand side of the ground at Moorabbin will be etched in my memory forever.
I'm not old enough to have watched Winmar live, but it is worth noting that Nas has already played 59 games and is still about a month younger than Winmar when he debuted in 1987.

I'm not old enough to have watched Winmar live, but it is worth noting that Nas has already played 59 games and is still about a month younger than Winmar when he debuted in 1987.
Totally different players and skill sets. Nicky was spectacular. Nas is captivating with his creativity ball in hand. If he stays with us, injury free we're in for a decade of memorable moments. We're lucky to have plenty of those from Nicky's years despite the lack of success. His book was a good read for any who haven't picked it up.

So I am hearing that if we end up with 5 and 6 (FA compensation) that we will try and turn that into 1 and a later first from 10 onwards. Do you think thats a good idea?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
There’s probably no merit to this, but it’s probably a year it could happen with the supposed evenness of it all. We’d have to love one guy obviously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I am hearing that if we end up with 5 and 6 (FA compensation) that we will try and turn that into 1 and a later first from 10 onwards. Do you think thats a good idea?

Depends on how the rest of the Coates League plays out. If we do this deal, it’d be because FOS would’ve had a massive finish to the season to re-assert himself as the no1 pick. No one else would justify this sort of trade except maybe Lalor but highly unlikely. Also depends what kind of hand Richmond ends up with since they have Bolton, Baker, Graham etc trades pending

I'm thinking it will look like this shortly.

Crouch - ret
Hayes - del
Allison - del
Pato trade - 3rdRDP
Battle- UFA - 1stRDP

*TC - 50/50 ret
*Hotton 70/30 del
*Membrey 50/50 ret
*Jones 50/50 del
*Ross - 50/50 ret

Looks like we might need to keep 2 spots open for FS/NGA players which will be difficult, and 2 spots are already gone on Max Hall and the Zebra we take.
We have 1 more Cat B rookie spot available but will need to hold 2 open spots on the list if we intend match bids on Cole and/or Peckett
All that without even bringing in a trade means Hotts is almost certainly gone, TC, Jones, Membrey and Ross are all in genuine danger.
3-4 live picks in the nat draft.

It's been non stop: "You NEED to do a Jack Ough video", "When are we getting your Jack Ough video", "Stop stealing my parking spot Jack Ough". So here it is, and if it gets my channel banned I'm blaming you all.

Jack Ough's dad must be called Nick and this is his revenge. Jack must be a resilient bloke at least!

Depends on how the rest of the Coates League plays out. If we do this deal, it’d be because FOS would’ve had a massive finish to the season to re-assert himself as the no1 pick. No one else would justify this sort of trade except maybe Lalor but highly unlikely. Also depends what kind of hand Richmond ends up with since they have Bolton, Baker, Graham etc trades pending

Richmond will end up with 1 & Collingwoods first pick 8-11

Crouch - ret
Hayes - del
Allison - del
Pato trade - 3rdRDP
Battle- UFA - 1stRDP

*TC - 50/50 ret
*Hotton 70/30 del
*Membrey 50/50 ret
*Jones 50/50 del
*Ross - 50/50 ret

Looks like we might need to keep 2 spots open for FS/NGA players which will be difficult, and 2 spots are already gone on Max Hall and the Zebra we take.
We have 1 more Cat B rookie spot available but will need to hold 2 open spots on the list if we intend match bids on Cole and/or Peckett
All that without even bringing in a trade means Hotts is almost certainly gone, TC, Jones, Membrey and Ross are all in genuine danger.

Keeping Jones over Hotton would be a shame. Hotton has real talent and will be picked up by another club. Jones has been great recently but its unlikely another club picks him up

Crouch - ret
Hayes - del
Allison - del
Pato trade - 3rdRDP
Battle- UFA - 1stRDP

*TC - 50/50 ret
*Hotton 70/30 del
*Membrey 50/50 ret
*Jones 50/50 del
*Ross - 50/50 ret

Keep in mind, we may need to acquire some later picks to match and potential bids from other clubs trying to make us pay up for Academy/FS prospects. Richmond have a lot of these later picks. We could look to get 1, 10 and third rounder for 5&6. I think Jagga is worthy of Pick 1 and I think we might get a steal with pick 10 like Lalor or Reid

Done a little phantom draft if any of you want to check it out.

On Pixel 7 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I didn't know you were Sad Sainter. Love your work. You put my boy Langford way too late though. Otherwise I like it. Swap Langford with Lalor and I'm happy.

Crouch - ret
Hayes - del
Allison - del
Pato trade - 3rdRDP
Battle- UFA - 1stRDP

*TC - 50/50 ret
*Hotton 70/30 del
*Membrey 50/50 ret
*Jones 50/50 del
*Ross - 50/50 ret

Is there interest from other clubs in Paton? I wouldn't be surprised if he was on an AFL list next year, but there is no chance we will get a 3rd round pick for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back