2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't know you were Sad Sainter. Love your work. You put my boy Langford way too late though. Otherwise I like it. Swap Langford with Lalor and I'm happy.
Haha, I think Langford will rise through the ranks, on pure vision he just seems a tad slower than those around him. Definitely one to watch.

I couldn't believe Twomey had him so high but that's the beauty of this draft. So many uncertainties.

On Pixel 7 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Done a little phantom draft if any of you want to check it out.

Sorry to be a drag down but if we ended up with FoS and Lalor, that would be the worst of all the combo scenarios.
That would be on a par with Coffield and Clark.
Langford is miles ahead of Lalor IMO. Would rather Reid over Lalor. My opinion of course.
We need for Adelaide to get ahead of us. Really want a crack at Draper.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Keeping Jones over Hotton would be a shame. Hotton has real talent and will be picked up by another club. Jones has been great recently but its unlikely another club picks him up

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah it's a tough choice. I think the reality is we still need enough senior players and if we take a couple of top mids at the draft they'll probably leapfrog Hotton by round 1 next year which makes him redundant. On form Jones offers more in 2025 so that's probably it for Ollie.

Keep in mind, we may need to acquire some later picks to match and potential bids from other clubs trying to make us pay up for Academy/FS prospects. Richmond have a lot of these later picks. We could look to get 1, 10 and third rounder for 5&6. I think Jagga is worthy of Pick 1 and I think we might get a steal with pick 10 like Lalor or Reid
We won't need later picks at all. Our NGA/FS players are almost no chance of attracting bids prior to 40 and after that you don't need points, just the list spot. Even then you can get the points from future picks.

We won't need later picks at all. Our NGA/FS players are almost no chance of attracting bids prior to 40 and after that you don't need points, just the list spot. Even then you can get the points from future picks.

We have made other clubs pay overs in points in the past I wouldn’t be surprised if a club like Sydney or GWS someone else does it to us

Is there interest from other clubs in Paton? I wouldn't be surprised if he was on an AFL list next year, but there is no chance we will get a 3rd round pick for him.
He's good enough to be on a list and is proven durable if not for the busted leg.
3rd round picks can be anywhere from 40 to 60 and it just depends on what else gets thrown in. Look at how complex the Dow/Coffield deal was and try figuring out what the player's values actually were.

We have made other clubs pay overs in points in the past I wouldn’t be surprised if a club like Sydney or GWS someone else does it to us

I think we'd just let them go Irving Mosquito style then. Cole looks an outside 40 prospect. Haven't seen Peckett on a list at all and Hoffman probably very late draft or rookie spot IMO.

Cole looks worth a roll of the dice but in this strong draft I'd think he's nearly zero chance to go inside 40.

You haven't considered the potential trades of Bolton Baker Graham etc.

I can't see them letting them all go. Baker back to WA seems the most likely to me. It's been talked about for ages. Graham probably doesn't get more than band 2 at most. Bolton is probably the biggest value but hardest to replace. 12 or 13 and 24 seems about right in compensation for him from Freo.

Yeah it's a tough choice. I think the reality is we still need enough senior players and if we take a couple of top mids at the draft they'll probably leapfrog Hotton by round 1 next year which makes him redundant. On form Jones offers more in 2025 so that's probably it for Ollie.
It's a hard one, because I feel like another year of development would be beneficial for Hotton. However, list spots are going to be at a premium as we continue to revamp the list on the fly.

Out of the 'in trouble' senior midfielders (Crouch, Ross and Jones), the latter is the most likely to survive. But I think the last fortnight needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. If Jones stays, its a one-year deal on absolute peanuts.

As we all have no real idea what the list management team is planning, it's easy to think of scenarios. Maybe the final month of the season will save a couple of careers. Does a strong finish for Hotton save him for one more year? No idea.

Look at players like James Van Es. People assume he will be around next year but he as hasn't been on the track for 18 months. If we are in the business of success, then sometimes players like Van Es become unfortunate casualties.

Done a little phantom draft if any of you want to check it out.

Langford way too low imo, he should be at least top 15. Travaglia and Tauru low too. Mraz a bit high, teams would probs take Harry O'Farrell and Matt Whitlock over him. Tom Gross and Jobe Shanahan not in the top 25 is interesting. I also don't think Faull suits the Freo forward line with LJ Amiss Treacy already there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Langford way too low imo, he should be at least top 15. Travaglia and Tauru low too. Mraz a bit high, teams would probs take Harry O'Farrell and Matt Whitlock over him. Tom Gross and Jobe Shanahan not in the top 25 is interesting. I also don't think Faull suits the Freo forward line with LJ Amiss Treacy already there
I replied to gringo with my thoughts on langford.

There's always gonna be sliders, guess I tried to play that game too!

The key forward department is a watch this year. Not much separates them.

I replied to gringo with my thoughts on langford.

There's always gonna be sliders, guess I tried to play that game too!

The key forward department is a watch this year. Not much separates them.

Yeah I like what you've done. I think Travaglia would be hard to slide though, he's a bit of a unique player in the top end of this pool because there aren't many tall half back/mids so I feel it might be more likely that a club reaches for him

Yeah I like what you've done. I think Travaglia would be hard to slide though, he's a bit of a unique player in the top end of this pool because there aren't many tall half back/mids so I feel it might be more likely that a club reaches for him
Big fan of travaglia. He looks quick and a smooth mover. If we could seem how eke out a 3rd first (if battle leaves) and Nab either travaglia or Hotton with our 3rd pick that’d be elite.

I wonder if the club waits until after the draft with Olli Hotton and if they grab the Taj Hotton they keep retain Olli for the sake of family harmony.

Perhaps the above poster is trying to create Tom Morris’s next news story 😂
Maybe.

But in a draft that has 5-6 players with relatively equal claims to pick 1.

Potentially parting with p5-6 for pick 1 makes little sense

Berry's recent shift into the midfield has given draft watchers a lot to think about. He's not a prolific clearance winner at this stage, but his elite evasive skills allow him to navigate traffic from inside to out and convert stoppage wins by his team into damaging possessions. He still splits his time between midfield and his old forward role, and remains one of the most damaging players in this years pool inside the forward 50.

Maybe.

But in a draft that has 5-6 players with relatively equal claims to pick 1.

Potentially parting with p5-6 for pick 1 makes little sense

In an equal draft, we want to sell the farm for the player who is the most equal. :drunk:

Big fan of travaglia. He looks quick and a smooth mover. If we could seem how eke out a 3rd first (if battle leaves) and Nab either travaglia or Hotton with our 3rd pick that’d be elite.

I wonder if the club waits until after the draft with Olli Hotton and if they grab the Taj Hotton they keep retain Olli for the sake of family harmony.
If we can’t get Draper, I’d love Travaglia with one of our picks. Starting to play midfield at CTL level. Looked awesome in the Champs final.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back