2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally, I prefer a Scotch Finger, accompanied by a cup of Fijian Royal Kava, for medicinal purposes only, of course.
Of course.

But, in medicinal terms, this is like ingesting morphine for a paper cut.

You should really live dangerously and have a Monte Carlo.

Not having a go at anyone, but I find it interesting how definitive some people can be about an 18.y.o kid and their future prospects.
Can imagine in Cam Wilkie's year. ' Very vanilla, too small, pass'
Rohan Marshall, 'too slow for forwards, terrible ruck, won't develop, maybe a VFL player'.
Players have weaknesses, they get into the AFL system, they get exposed and then worked on. It is soon apparent what they are and first preseason will show what is required.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
While this is true I think you can get a very real snapshot of the way some players operate and use that to predict what strengths they will bring to the big leagues.

Aaron Naughton was always an extraordinary mark of the football as a junior, but had been played down back.

Nasaiah has always been an exquisite kick and dynamic runner.

Rozee has always been an elusive and pacey player with an offensive bent.

They all have shortcomings. Everyone does. But you can build an empire by selecting players who have core strengths that complement and elevate each other.

Like Winmar and Lockett did.

This is why I don’t get the hate for Reid. He is always at the coalface and doesn’t mind some push and shove. He’s also a really good tackler. Get on board.
This.

Don’t confuse elusiveness with softness. Just because someone has an innate ability to avoid contact doesn’t always mean he doesn’t relish it.

I’m pretty sure Reid will be gone by pick 7, I reckon he complements Harley nicely but so does Draper.

The worst case scenario for us IMO is that FOS, Jagga, Draper, Lalor, Langford and Reid go top 6.

This.

Don’t confuse elusiveness with softness. Just because someone has an innate ability to avoid contact doesn’t always mean he doesn’t relish it.

I’m pretty sure Reid will be gone by pick 7, I reckon he complements Harley nicely but so does Draper.

The worst case scenario for us IMO is that FOS, Jagga, Draper, Lalor, Langford and Reid go top 6.
Agree that's a horrible scenario but if we end up with Trainor and Smillie we could easily have the best 2 in the draft over a career.

This.

I played under former Nth Melbourne captain, Barry Goodingham, when he finished his league career and came down to coach Edithvale Aspendale. He was a big fan of his former team mate, Keith Grieg, who won consecutive Brownlows back in the 70's. Whenever someone would knock Grieg's 'hardness' Barry would say, "Why run through a brick wall when you can run around it?"

I played under former Nth Melbourne captain, Barry Goodingham, when he finished his league career and came down to coach Edithvale Aspendale. He was a big fan of his former team mate, Keith Grieg, who won consecutive Brownlows back in the 70's. Whenever someone would knock Grieg's 'hardness' Barry would say, "Why run through a brick wall when you can run around it?"
Keith Grieg was one of my favourite non Saints when I was young. Amazingly skilful and so good to watch.
It was like when Robert Harvey was playing under 19s or reserves someone asked Gary Colling, who was coaching him, what he was like and he said ‘I don’t know if he’s got a left foot but he never gets caught’. 380 games later people were still saying it.

This.

Come on down the guy that was pick 1 fave about 3 months ago

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm guessing about a 1/4 😉

I actually looked up his grandfather when I read that he was related too Doug Wade. He was a pretty unusual player for his day I imagine. Lots of kicks over his shoulder and party trick goals. When you see old footage the game seemed very staid. He must have been pretty unique.

Some interesting players in this list -

2024 Smithy's VFL Team of the Year squad - https://www.afl.com.au/news/1212471

Matt Johnson, Frankston 21yo 187cm
18 matches this season, 42 goals
Averages 8.7 disposals, 5.2 score involvements, 2.3 goals

Sam Davidson, Richmond 22yo 190cm
16 matches this season, 26 goals
Averages 14.1 disposals, 5.7 score involvements, 1.6 goals

Wade Derksen, GWS GIANTS 23yo 194cm
17 matches this season, 6 goals
Averages 19.5 disposals, 8.0 intercepts, 5.1 spoils

Patrick Fairlie, Northern Bullants 24yo 187cm
18 matches this season, 7 goals
Averages 30.1 disposals. 6.3 tackles, 5.7 clearances

ofKaWkv.gif

Some interesting players in this list -

2024 Smithy's VFL Team of the Year squad - https://www.afl.com.au/news/1212471

Matt Johnson, Frankston 21yo 187cm
18 matches this season, 42 goals
Averages 8.7 disposals, 5.2 score involvements, 2.3 goals

Sam Davidson, Richmond 22yo 190cm
16 matches this season, 26 goals
Averages 14.1 disposals, 5.7 score involvements, 1.6 goals

Patrick Fairlie, Northern Bullants 24yo 187cm
18 matches this season, 7 goals
Averages 30.1 disposals. 6.3 tackles, 5.7 clearances
Unsurprisingly no Sandy players.

If Derksen is a decent field kick it looks a no brainer.

Other clubs are sniffing around but you would think he would be a perfect fit for us! Plus given GWS picked him up in the MSD they wouldnt want anything ridiculous for him. His partner just had twins so he is looking for some security.

Last edited:
The strong wind made clean passages of play nearly impossible and turned most of this game into a scrap, but Langford thrives in that kind environment. He used his strength and physicality at the contest attacking the ball and the man in equal measure, at times he and James Barrett threatened to turn it into a boxing match. He found a stack of footy as he always does, and hit the scoreboard at crucial times to help his Stingrays to build a lead and take the victory.

The thing I really like about Langford is that he is always on the move at stoppages. Little wonder why he is so consistent and gets plenty of the pill

Would love it if we got him

The thing I really like about Langford is that he is always on the move at stoppages. Little wonder why he is so consistent and gets plenty of the pill

Would love it if we got him
My only concern and it’s a rather large one is.

I worry about his ability get in and out of the stoppage cleanly.

He always seems to have someone clinging on to him which affects his ability to get clean disposal.
He does seem to be a bit stronger than he seems. Every good kid needs a weapon. I’m still just wondering if Langford’s will be enough.

In the other hand his performance and numbers are just so strong.

Once again all young draftees have flaws and the character above all else woll
Determine where gets too

Always been a massive avocate for top 5 picks and just wanted to revisit in more detail after Watson dominated in his first year tonight.

Study conducted from 2000-2021 (Pick/Ave Games up to 2010/Hit rate above ave player on ave games and expectation %)

Have some qualifications like impact over short career and auto ticked any player who won a flag but raw numbers are as follows;

Pick. 1 / 237 ave games / 68%
2. 196/73
3. 205/59
4. 136/50
5. 221/46
6. 93/18
7. 211/46
8. 113/27
9. 133/36

We are likely to end up with selections 8, 9 overall so this whole thing has not only wasted my time but severely dampened my spirirts at landing a superstar and i thought id at least try and share that misery with you all. x

Always been a massive avocate for top 5 picks and just wanted to revisit in more detail after Watson dominated in his first year tonight.

Study conducted from 2000-2021 (Pick/Ave Games up to 2010/Hit rate above ave player on ave games and expectation %)

Have some qualifications like impact over short career and auto ticked any player who won a flag but raw numbers are as follows;

Pick. 1 / 237 ave games / 68%
2. 196/73
3. 205/59
4. 136/50
5. 221/46
6. 93/18
7. 211/46
8. 113/27
9. 133/36

We are likely to end up with selections 8, 9 overall so this whole thing has not only wasted my time but severely dampened my spirirts at landing a superstar and i thought id at least try and share that misery with you all. x

If it can provide comfort... this is the Hawthorn line up tonight, by pick number only: (* = traded in)

B: pick 56 / rookie* / pick 21*
HB: pick 44 / pick 18 / pick 74
C: MSD* / pick 67 / rookie cat b
HF: pick 68* / rookie* / rookie*
FF: pick 56 / pick 29* / pick 5
R: pick 69* / pick 45 / MSD
Int: pick 7* / pick 29 / pick 7 / pick 26
Sub: rookie

Watson pick 5, Scrimshaw pick 7 (traded in for a swap of 3rd & 4th rounders), Ward pick 7 (last man picked - did play well).

The rest pick 18 or later, plus a couple of mid season pickups.

They are all humans. Once they walk through the door, how & when they were picked quickly becomes irrelevant. (SOS if you are reading this ...)

Regardless of how the Hawks finish up, there are plenty of lessons to be learnt from their progress this year. IMO needing top 5 draft picks to land superstars is unlikely to be one of them.

My only concern and it’s a rather large one is.

I worry about his ability get in and out of the stoppage cleanly.

He always seems to have someone clinging on to him which affects his ability to get clean disposal.
He does seem to be a bit stronger than he seems. Every good kid needs a weapon. I’m still just wondering if Langford’s will be enough.

In the other hand his performance and numbers are just so strong.

Once again all young draftees have flaws and the character above all else woll
Determine where gets too
Agree with this. He has some excellent attributes, probably a lot more positional flexibility than some others. I just wonder if you get a slower type beast, then do you go full beast! Ie Smilie or Lalor (not that we may even get a chance). That’s off set by his consistent high level and other tricks, so it’s a tough one.

If it can provide comfort... this is the Hawthorn line up tonight, by pick number only: (* = traded in)

B: pick 56 / rookie* / pick 21*
HB: pick 44 / pick 18 / pick 74
C: MSD* / pick 67 / rookie cat b
HF: pick 68* / rookie* / rookie*
FF: pick 56 / pick 29* / pick 5
R: pick 69* / pick 45 / MSD
Int: pick 7* / pick 29 / pick 7 / pick 26
Sub: rookie

Watson pick 5, Scrimshaw pick 7 (traded in for a swap of 3rd & 4th rounders), Ward pick 7 (last man picked - did play well).

The rest pick 18 or later, plus a couple of mid season pickups.

They are all humans. Once they walk through the door, how & when they were picked quickly becomes irrelevant. (SOS if you are reading this ...)

Regardless of how the Hawks finish up, there are plenty of lessons to be learnt from their progress this year. IMO needing top 5 draft picks to land superstars is unlikely to be one of them.
But then you need a very special culture and coach and those may not last beyond a year or two (feels like the pies). And very very difficult for any team to have that magic team belief, otherwise everyone would do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back