Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you willing to put your username on this?
I'm not sure why I need to put a username to this.
I've never come on this board and said or shown that I've had any intel regarding and players coming to or leaving Hawthorn.

But let me tell you, this is the 1 time where I've been told and the source is as close as it gets.
I'm not willing to burn my contact but I'm 99% sure from what I've been told his No1 preference is Hawthorn.

If we want him just as much Geelong and Collingwood will not get in our way as his preference is Hawthorn.

I've never come on this board and said or shown that I've had any intel regarding and players coming to or leaving Hawthorn.

But let me tell you, this is the 1 time where I've been told and the source is as close as it gets.
I'm not willing to burn my contact but I'm 99% sure from what I've been told his No1 preference is Hawthorn.

If we want him just as much Geelong and Collingwood will not get in our way as his preference is Hawthorn.
I believe Hawkmang was referring to your "balls on the line" user name.

No to Barrass.

He's contracted for a few more years. The demand would be a first rounder and a quality player at an absolute minimum. Plus he has back complaints.

We're genuinely making a smarter list management decision by rotating Frost, Phillips and Blanck as required and developing McCabe.

the Battle cries are getting louder. Fingers crossed as feel he would be a great fit for hawks.

Interesting re Barrass. Could be total BS or has some foundation. In any case, and needing to shed a few players at year end, I fear DGB is running out of time to secure a spot. Pity as he is much loved (including me) it seems.

Maybe a swap Barrass for DGB. Has some poetry in that trade. Although one is young with unrealised potential and the other could be a couple of years from being cooked. Risk both ways IMO.
Where do I sign

the Battle cries are getting louder. Fingers crossed as feel he would be a great fit for hawks.

Interesting re Barrass. Could be total BS or has some foundation. In any case, and needing to shed a few players at year end, I fear DGB is running out of time to secure a spot. Pity as he is much loved (including me) it seems.

Maybe a swap Barrass for DGB. Has some poetry in that trade. Although one is young with unrealised potential and the other could be a couple of years from being cooked. Risk both ways IMO.

If we straight swap Barrass for DGB I will eat a shoe.

No condiments. Medium rare.

I believe Hawkmang was referring to your "balls on the line" user name.
Christopher Reeve Reaction GIF

Lock it in.. His balls are on the line! 😃

Agree,

Battle would be a perfect piece for us as his versatility is super important.

I can see him playing on some bigger players in the backline when needed as he is very strong but also as a third tall forward option moving around like Mihocek does.

We are at a point with Mitch Lewis history where we can’t expect anything more than about 14-16 games per year so we need to keep adding pieces.

In saying all this, Jay Clarke thinks he will stay at the Saints.
I would be surprised if he decided to stay. He's been there long enough to see very little finals action and Ross The Boss is not exactly getting any plaudits over his coaching style. Their list is average and I can't see it improving very much. If his other suitors are Melbourne and the Pies you would think that he'd discount the former due to their up and down form and off field issues. I could understand him going to the Pies though. The loss of Nathan Murphy and likely retirement of Jeremy Howe means that there are spots available for an experienced backman at the Pies. Can they match the $$, lure of playing for the team that you barracked for and the excitement of a club in the move??

I hope that we get him. He's a reliable known quantity and it would free up guys like Sic, Scrimshaw and Weddle.

Alrighty - tin foil time and all that...

We are linked to three players, all of whom have baggage attached - mostly through no fault of their own.

Josh Battle has been concussed 4 times in the last 3 seasons and has sustained multiple facial and ankle fractures.

I'm firmly of the opinion that we should be extra vigilant with these 'super-brave' types of player - Lynch,Murphy and Brayshaw being the latest victims of concussion.

Bailey Smith off an ACL and a drug-strike.

Tyson Stengle was again in bother in Geelong alongside Marc Bliclavs a few months back (The video is on here somewhere) - and has been done for drink-driving (fine) and drugs (councelled).

I'm not saying Leopards don't change spots, but I am saying that we have a very very young list - lets be careful of the culture here that we want these kids to develop in.

I'm not too sure why we are all in love with Josh Battle all of a sudden?

Does he fill an urgent void - especially with Blanck and Phillips to return and Frost and Scrimshaw in career best form.
Serong is still on the books and was playing 3 rounds ago. Scaife and McCabe are yet to debut.

Smith - adds an extra bit of zing around the contest, but is that something we don't already have in Weddle?
I do see it with Smith, but already there is a back and forth about Geelong and Collingwood, so are we really certain we aren't a bargaining tool (again?)

Stengle - no, just no.
Ginnivan and Watson were recruited for this very purpose and Bennets is waiting. Hard pass with his off-field issues.

All I'm saying is - please do due diligence on these guys - and I'm sure we will - but are we sure with all the $$$ that we have, and the pathway our playing group is taking that we wouldn't be better served going to the draft and keeping the $$$ to pay up for the kids we have?

I get the argument with Smith, but the other two just seem to be surplus to what we already have, especially with Battle having multiple recent concussions.

We are linked to three players, all of whom have baggage attached - mostly through no fault of their own.

Josh Battle has been concussed 4 times in the last 3 seasons and has sustained multiple facial and ankle fractures.

I'm firmly of the opinion that we should be extra vigilant with these 'super-brave' types of player - Lynch,Murphy and Brayshaw being the latest victims of concussion.

Tyson Stengle was again in bother in Geelong alongside Marc Bliclavs a few months back (The video is on here somewhere) - and has been done for drink-driving (fine) and drugs (councelled).

I'm not saying Leopards don't change spots, but I am saying that we have a very very young list - lets be careful of the culture here that we want these kids to develop in.

Does he fill an urgent void - especially with Blanck and Phillips to return and Frost and Scrimshaw in career best form.
Serong is still on the books and was playing 3 rounds ago. Scaife and McCabe are yet to debut.

Smith - adds an extra bit of zing around the contest, but is that something we don't already have in Weddle?
I do see it with Smith, but already there is a back and forth about Geelong and Collingwood, so are we really certain we aren't a bargaining tool (again?)

Stengle - no, just no.
Ginnivan and Watson were recruited for this very purpose and Bennets is waiting. Hard pass with his off-field issues.

All I'm saying is - please do due diligence on these guys - and I'm sure we will - but are we sure with all the $$$ that we have, and the pathway our playing group is taking that we wouldn't be better served going to the draft and keeping the $$$ to pay up for the kids we have?

I get the argument with Smith, but the other two just seem to be surplus to what we already have, especially with Battle having multiple recent concussions.

You make some interesting points. Saints would have a truck load of cash to keep Battle.

What sort of AFL comp would they be expecting if he was to walk I wonder?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stengle - no, just no.

I agree with everything said here!!
Why spend big dollars on B/C grade defender in Battle!!
If Smith is available for right price but don't bend over backwards for him!!
The draft is stacked with mids and we will get a good one with a first rounder that will be coming into his prime in 5 years when Worpel and Nash are 30??
Let's be patient with free agents signings in 2 or 3 years time when we are in our window an A grader will want to come to us!!

We've been linked to Stengle..? Not sure why we would be chasing him when we have a pretty decent group of small forwards..

Seems more like a ploy to use our cap space as a way to bid up his price..

I agree with everything said here!!
Why spend big dollars on B/C grade defender in Battle!!
If Smith is available for right price but don't bend over backwards for him!!
The draft is stacked with mids and we will get a good one with a first rounder that will be coming into his prime in 5 years when Worpel and Nash are 30??
Let's be patient with free agents signings in 2 or 3 years time when we are in our window an A grader will want to come to us!!
I wouldn't be calling Battle a world beater but I definitely wouldnt be calling him a B/C grade defender lol

if we compare him to Sicily

• Battle has 2.3 defensive 1v1 contests a game compared to Sicily having 1.6 (this is when a player and opponent directly have the contest not packs or anything like that, they are in isolation)
  • in the 2.3 contests Battle has a 23.3% loss rate so on the other side of the coin he at worst breaks even at 76.7% compared to Sicily 27.8% loss rate on his 1.6 contests
  • Battle out tackles Sicily 1.4 to 1.3
  • Sicily pips him in Pressure Acts 8.8 to 7.5
  • Battle has more spoils 3.8 to 3.4
  • its even at 2.6 intercept marks

When you add to that the fact you wont need to trade anything to get him just use cap space and it adds value. He is also only 26 heading into next year so he meets the age criteria.

He has played at both ends and has played on the wing too so his flexibility helps Sam with his magnets

I am in the camp of okay why not? I see what some are saying with well he isnt a stud but if you say no to everyone along the way and dont get the stud whats the point of that? Just end up with Jerry Seinfeld's love life

Last edited:
I wouldn't be calling Battle a world beater but I definitely wouldnt be calling him a B/C grade defender lol

if we compare him to Sicily

• Battle has 2.3 defensive 1v1 contests a game compared to Sicily having 1.6 (this is when a player and opponent directly have the contest not packs or anything like that, they are in isolation)
  • in the 2.3 contests Battle has a 23.3% loss rate so on the other side of the coin he wins 76.7% compared to Sicily 27.8% loss rate on his 1.6 contests
  • Battle out tackles Sicily 1.4 to 1.3
  • Sicily pips him in Pressure Acts 8.8 to 7.5
  • Battle has more spoils 3.8 to 3.4
  • its even at 2.6 intercept marks

When you add to that the fact you wont need to trade anything to get him just use cap space and it adds value. He is also only 26 heading into next year so he meets the age criteria.

He has played at both ends and has played on the wing too so his flexibility helps Sam with his magnets

I am in the camp of okay why not? I see what some are saying with well he isnt a stud but if you say no to everyone along the way and dont get the stud whats the point of that? Just end up with Jerry Seinfeld's love life
Once again this comes up, loss rate doesn't mean the opposite is a win.

The stats fall into loss, neutralise, win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back