Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We don’t have room on the rookie list to do much this year and can’t see us taking just the one pick at the national draft. Would think Butler is the one to get delisted and then rookied.
would be my guess as well unfortunately despite his great pre season this year he didnt come into the side and show the same potential that the others have when they have come in. Add to that the unfortunate injury and I think he is now most likely to get the Seamus Mitchell cut and rookie

Butler is still contracted.

As for Phillips, I'm not somebody to pot those who supply us with ITK info when they can, but we do need to at least question the 'Phillips signed an 18 month contract' comment.

If you are a MSD rookie player you can opt for an 18 month contract because it includes half of the current season plus the full season the following year.

Phillips was a pre season SSP pick-up. If he signed an 18 month contract it means his current deal ends this time next year. As far as I know, not a single player in the league or in history would be on a deal that ends DURING a season. Unless there are small clauses in contracts where a players contract officially ends, but he continues to get paid and/or made available for selection but only as a long term injury replacement. And it happens outside the salary cap.
Even that sounds unlikely because I've never seen it come up before.

Hawthorn play North Melbourne in the last round could we see best mates Liam Shiels, Jack Gunston & Luke Breust all on the same day and get chaired off all together??
Danger game - Clarko loves a late season win, especially if he's at risk of getting a number 1 draft pick

You'd think in these modern times, the AFL would get up to speed and allow "job share" arrangements. This way Breust and Gunston share the 1 job and spot on the list but aren't allowed on the field at the same time. Yes, I'm an ideas man!

As for Phillips, I'm not somebody to pot those who supply us with ITK info when they can, but we do need to at least question the 'Phillips signed an 18 month contract' comment.

If you are a MSD rookie player you can opt for an 18 month contract because it includes half of the current season plus the full season the following year.

Phillips was a pre season SSP pick-up. If he signed an 18 month contract it means his current deal ends this time next year. As far as I know, not a single player in the league or in history would be on a deal that ends DURING a season. Unless there are small clauses in contracts where a players contract officially ends, but he continues to get paid and/or made available for selection but only as a long term injury replacement. And it happens outside the salary cap.

The “18 month contract” info probably just refers to end of next season … we signed him in mid-February remember, so a literal 18 month contract wouldn’t even be far off the end of the season.

You are correct that players contracts don’t end mid season.

my understanding is all contracts must finish at the end of a season. It is against the CBA to have contracts end mid season

I still would love us to get Bailey Smith across, but following our last 7 weeks he seems like much more of a luxury and less of a necessity.

If he comes in, he needs to push out one of Worpel, Nash, CJ or Mackenzie from our starting lineup.
We've been good the last few weeks, but those aren't the teams we need to focus on beating.

We need to be bridging the gap between us (current) & Sydney, whilst also bettering the List with options & depth.

We'll obviously have organic improvement as our young players develop, but most teams have that (to varying degrees). We need to improve our List as well as improving those already on the List.

We don’t have room on the rookie list to do much this year and can’t see us taking just the one pick at the national draft. Would think Butler is the one to get delisted and then rookied.

Wingard was delisted last year and picked in the PSD as part of list management flexibility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wingard was delisted last year and picked in the PSD as part of list management flexibility.
There were murmurings North were going to pick him the rookie draft. We had the choice of a senior spot or a rookie spot so played it safe. We had to delist Chad and Stephens last year to create more list spots to use on points for McCabe. This year we just have to have 3 senior spots open for the national draft.

Ie being a flog of a bloke.

Anyone know what Mitch Thorp is up to these days?
Playing coach at Launceston Football Club and by all reports been successful over a number of years both in terms of winning premierships and developing young talent.

Colby McKercher (2), James Leake (17) and Arie Schoenmaker (62) from 2023 draft all from Launceston Football Club.

Link below to Mitch on SEN Tassie speaking about Arie's debut on the weekend. Interesting parallels between Mitch as a young talent and Arie.

Mitch may have had some issues when drafted but 18 year olds mature and learn. A bit more respect for a former Hawks player who has made is mark in football despite his journey not going as he and others had expected or hoped.

Last edited:
Playing coach at Launceston Football Club and by all reports been successful over a number of years both in terms of winning premierships and developing young talent.

Colby McKercher (2), James Leake (17) and Arie Schoenmaker (62) from 2023 draft all from Launceston Football Club.

Link below to Mitch on SEN Tassie speaking about Arie's debut on the weekend. Interesting parallels between Mitch as a young talent and Arie.

Mitch may have had some issues when drafted but 18 year olds mature and learn. A bit more respect for a former Hawks player who has made is mark in football despite his journey not going as he and others had expected or hoped.
Been a very successful coach and player at Launceston FC, stepping down as coach at the end of this season.

Some posters seem to forget how young the draft picks are, not all are ready for it at such a young age. These kids make mistakes but some posters hang them out to dry for immature mistakes.

Tom Morris “keeps hearing Geelong” regarding Bailey Smith (SEN this morning)

It would be nice to get Bailey Smith into the club. Think that it would add another dynamic to the midfield. I think having another A grade mid, in there really helps Nash and Newcomb to become better players. We have seen the improvement of both Nash and Newcomb since Will Day has been back. The only mid that did stand up in Day’s absence was Worpel. So a midfield mix of Smith, Nash, Newcomb and Worpel would be a head ache for any opponent imo.

I wonder what we do if he does join Geelong do we go to the draft with our first or pivot to another midfielder.

I wonder what we do if he does join Geelong do we go to the draft with our first or pivot to another midfielder.
Go to the draft. I've gone back and forward on this all year, but I'm now firmly in the no Smith camp. I believe Sammy and Co will get the best out of Ward (even though I'm banned from the Ward thread).

Last edited:
Go to the draft. I've gone back and forward on this all year, but I'm now firmly in the no Smith camp. I believe Sammy and Co will get the best out of Ward.

Isn’t the top 10 a strong one this year, probably would be good idea to keep a pick in there even upgrade it if we can.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back