Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We need depth, especially talls. It will ease the pressure on some developing talls and give them time they need at Boxhill.

Beside I doubt frost will be still be playing in 2-3 years. Blanck will be finding form on return from his knee.

Our coaches disagree with you and clearly they have some credit at this stage with the success of Ginnivan, D’Ambrosio and Chol.

Squads win premierships and we need depth, you seen what happened when we lost Sis.

Agreed. I suppos there’s no gorilla replacement available. Maybe that’s not a priority any more.

Agreed. I suppos there’s no gorilla replacement available. Maybe that’s not a priority any more.

I’m sure if there was one that was a f/a we would be interest, sadly there is not big FB as a F/A.

Hopefully Blanck returns and plays his roles.

Why does anyone care what we pay for free agents? We’ve been front loading contracts for years to leave space, haven’t got a single player on big money, and won’t have to give a draft pick.

Other clubs have 5-7 players on more than our highest paid player, and they are still managing to find cash to throw at recruits.

Paying a player or two a bit overs to improve our team for 6 years doesn’t seem bad. If we don’t keep improving we’ll quickly fall behind.

Why does anyone care what we pay for free agents? We’ve been front loading contracts for years to leave space, haven’t got a single player on big money, and won’t have to give a draft pick.

Other clubs have 5-7 players on more than our highest paid player, and they are still managing to find cash to throw at recruits.

Paying a player or two a bit overs to improve our team for 6 years doesn’t seem bad. If we don’t keep improving we’ll quickly fall behind.

We still have to manage our cap.

If we had paid Buddy the swans money we would be short of cash for other premiership players.

Our young players are going to need significant pay rises soon. Also our number one priority is elite A grade hall of fame talent. Imagine Zac Butters wants to join us when he is out of contract and we don’t have the cap space.

Our young players are going to need significant pay rises soon. Also our number one priority is elite A grade hall of fame talent. Imagine Zac Butters wants to join us when he is out of contract and we don’t have the cap space.
Sure but you can only hold on to cap space for so long and i think we are still a few years away from needing to give our young guys big upgrades. I see no reason we can't front load a big Battle deal and have him on a more reasonable 600-700 over the last couple years of the deal when we are needing to upgrade those guys.

Imagine he doesn’t and in 5 years time we’re still talking about the same war chest.
I’m not saying draft somebody because they are available, wouldn’t have changed the outcome on Saturday but I’d take battle over Serong, Phillips or DGB to help outs Weddle with Cameron.
Anyone that doesn’t think Battle makes our side instantly better should watch him play.
Do we have a need for someone to play fullback on the big forwards? Absolutely, if you find one available let the club know because they haven’t found one that I’m aware of.

You can always create cap space by offloading contracts...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It did for Amon. He took a very reasonable deal to play for us. It only triggered band 3 and he had made the All Aus squad.

It helped that nobody else was bidding on him - Carlton particularly had dropped out. The system is designed to encourage bidding wars to drive up incomes for long-serving players.

If Butters, Reid, and Curnow wanted to join us this off season we could comfortably fit them all in the cap.

Saving up for that imaginary big fish has been going on for years, we finally might have a chance to spend some money to instantly improve our team and people knock it.

If we don’t continue to improve no top tier players would want to join us and we’re stuck in the middle. Every premiership team has a few elite players they’ve recruited.

If Butters, Reid, and Curnow wanted to join us this off season we could comfortably fit them all in the cap.

Saving up for that imaginary big fish has been going on for years, we finally might have a chance to spend some money to instantly improve our team and people knock it.

If we don’t continue to improve no top tier players would want to join us and we’re stuck in the middle. Every premiership team has a few elite players they’ve recruited.
Under Clarko, we refused to pay market rates. Missed out on a lot of targets.

Now we have a chance to prove that we do. I'm hoping we start to nail more targets.

As I understand it, there is a salary cap and a salary floor.

AFL salary cap
The salary cap, known officially as Total Player Payments, was A$13,540,000 for the 2022 season, with a salary floor of $12,863,000.

So, I don't understand how clubs get these big war chests?

Can someone please explain?

As I understand it, there is a salary cap and a salary floor.

AFL salary cap
The salary cap, known officially as Total Player Payments, was A$13,540,000 for the 2022 season, with a salary floor of $12,863,000.

So, I don't understand how clubs get these big war chests?

Can someone please explain?
Front and back ending contracts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back