Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

As I understand it, there is a salary cap and a salary floor.

AFL salary cap
The salary cap, known officially as Total Player Payments, was A$13,540,000 for the 2022 season, with a salary floor of $12,863,000.

So, I don't understand how clubs get these big war chests?

Can someone please explain?
When you pay below 100% of the TTP in a given year you can then pay above it by the same amount in the following year. I think there might also be a 2 year rollover window.

So in theory we could have paid 95% (the TTP floor) of the cap in 2023 and 2024 which would then allow us to go 110% in 2025. Factor in existing back-ended deals finishing and players leaving the list (retirement, trade, etc.) into the total and you could potentially have a lot of cap space to go spend.

Though I suspect some clubs just go out and backend long ass deals and then worry about how they fit it in 5 years later.

When you pay below 100% of the TTP in a given year you can then pay above it by the same amount in the following year. I think there might also be a 2 year rollover window.

So in theory we could have paid 95% (the TTP floor) of the cap in 2023 and 2024 which would then allow us to go 110% in 2025. Factor in existing back-ended deals finishing and players leaving the list (retirement, trade, etc.) into the total and you could potentially have a lot of cap space to go spend.

Though I suspect some clubs just go out and backend long ass deals and then worry about how they fit it in 5 years later.
Thanks for clarifying.

It's only 600k from floor to cap.. But a couple of years accumulated money is a chunk of change.

If Butters, Reid, and Curnow wanted to join us this off season we could comfortably fit them all in the cap.

Saving up for that imaginary big fish has been going on for years, we finally might have a chance to spend some money to instantly improve our team and people knock it.

If we don’t continue to improve no top tier players would want to join us and we’re stuck in the middle. Every premiership team has a few elite players they’ve recruited.
Not without clearing out key players.

As I understand it, there is a salary cap and a salary floor.

AFL salary cap
The salary cap, known officially as Total Player Payments, was A$13,540,000 for the 2022 season, with a salary floor of $12,863,000.

So, I don't understand how clubs get these big war chests?

Can someone please explain?

There’s the part which cryptor described.
The other part is that we have most likely been bringing ourselves to the salary floor artificially by restructuring contracts to bring payments forward.
ie we’re $300k short of the floor in 2024, so we bring $300k of Player A’s $500k 2025 payment into 2024, meaning we only owe them $200k in 2025. This allows us to meet the floor and kick the cap space into 2025. It’s basically retrospective front-loading. And we keep doing it until we spend it on a recruit or to retain emerging talent.

This is how you would manage a developing list that isn’t yet ‘worth’ the salary floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Battle to replace Lewis

Hawks should have a chat with Jake Waterman.

Contracted until 2025 and not on huge money, well under market rates after his form this year. Will be chasing a longer contract and Eagles have been burnt recently with these.

Tom Barrass in a similar situation with his contract.

Last edited:
Now Lewis is gone for 12 months or so.
We should be looking at Jake Waterman

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Riley Beveridge floating Cam Zurhaar as a name maybe Hawks look at now Lewis is injured. Another free agent. Was more of a food for thought than anything more than that
I can't see it. Zurhaar is more a flanker, not a KPF and he is pretty inconsistent. On his day he's great but structurally we have greater needs.

I can't see it. Zurhaar is more a flanker, not a KPF and he is pretty inconsistent. On his day he's great but structurally we have greater needs.
plus Lewis knock on wood is back healthy in 12 months time so changing your strategy to get in Zurhaar doesnt make much sense unless he was already high on the whiteboard but think we would of heard more about it if he was

they also said that clubs think Geelong is ahead of Hawthorn for Bailey Smith and that Perryman has strong interest from Port (nothing new there). Twomey said that he is thinking its leaning the way of Battle leaving, which is what Cleary said on Tradies yesterday but both still seemed unsure enough to not really lock it in

plus Lewis knock on wood is back healthy in 12 months time so changing your strategy to get in Zurhaar doesnt make much sense unless he was already high on the whiteboard but think we would of heard more about it if he was

they also said that clubs think Geelong is ahead of Hawthorn for Bailey Smith and that Perryman has strong interest from Port (nothing new there). Twomey said that he is thinking its leaning the way of Battle leaving, which is what Cleary said on Tradies yesterday but both still seemed unsure enough to not really lock it in
Did they give a % likelihood for Smith?

Riley Beveridge floating Cam Zurhaar as a name maybe Hawks look at now Lewis is injured. Another free agent. Was more of a food for thought than anything more than that
they're not mutually exclusive but Zurhaar, Perryman and Battle in one off-season all as FAs would probably stretch our pay structures too thin, especially if we still want to target Baz. You'd think we could only get 2 out of those 4 being realistic

they're not mutually exclusive but Zurhaar, Perryman and Battle in one off-season all as FAs would probably stretch our pay structures too thin, especially if we still want to target Baz. You'd think we could only get 2 out of those 4 being realistic
Battle and Perryman are UFA but Zurhaar is a RFA so we might have to do a trade since they could match unless they force us into overpaying to get the compo up a band. I don't think that he's worth it if you are heading towards 7 figures. I wouldn't give up HH or Ward. Chad and Harry are UFA's and not trade bait for North.

We had enquired before the Lewis injury.

As we should with anyone that could improve our list.

We had enquired before the Lewis injury.

As we should with anyone that could improve our list.
The on field fit is interesting, he would be a point of difference to the other forwards down there, the advantage would be having another guy who has kicked 30+ in a season down there for defenses to worry about.

Would come back to where the Hawks see the guys they have already and the asking price

I'm pretty well on record as not rating Zurhaar that highly, but I don't think he should come to us for one reason - North might actually be able to make a show of it from next season. They need leadership.

If he is entertaining leaving after North have just started showing some ticker, it'd make me want him less.

Hope we are surprised this offseason. So much speculation last year but nobody expected us to get ginnivan, chol, ambrosio until trade period started. Hopefully this offseason is just as successful.
All 3 were fringe players playing regular football in 2s last year, but have improved significantly since coming to hawthorn. None of those trades took much to get done.

Whilst I hope we bank more of these essentially moneyball picks, I think (and hope) the club are looking at bigger targets this off season.

I rate Zurhaar and think in a better environment he can make a big difference. He has been so troubled by trash for a while now. He is a bull that wants to crash everything and can bring chaos in the forward line and even the midfield. North may be showing some signs now but I think after a while it would be hard for some to believe that change is on the way. I would like Zurhaar at the Hawks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back