Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

With all due respect, I'm not sure why anyone of us should be bothered about what a player is getting paid.

I trust the club to do what it has been doing in building the list.

For such a long time, we'd supposedly missed on many free agents as we had our 'salary structure' and were rigid. It gets reported/discussed in the AFL media that to pry someone out of a club, you 'have to pay overs'.

For me, it's 'Is player X a best 22 player at Hawthorn in 2025', if the answer is 'yes', then I trust the club to do their job and get them in.

I don’t mind the talk someone raised with Rayner, he is a big unit who can play mid and forward. Something different we don’t have a lot of. Could be good for the player too
Is way too unfit. Has a handful of quarters a year where he looks like he could be a superstar.

Yet the rest of the time he struggles to get involved.

Sounds like something to work with.
Will be 25 before the year is done.

He’s drastically running out of time to ever get fit enough.

If he came for next to nothing he’d be worth a look. Can’t see lions giving him up for that though.

Okay, so on Oliver, if severe weight loss is a clear indicator of a meth dependency then clearly that's a BS rumour, because Clarry has been struggling this season due to being overweight. And it's clear as day.

Secondly, if you are questioning our approach for Battle, does that mean you'd be against the concept of essentially cloning Jack Scrimshaw and his output, even though it's costing us ZERO at the trade table?
We're potentially getting a player with similar attributes in the prime of his career. NO BRAINER. Just pay the man. We can afford it.

Okay, so on Oliver, if severe weight loss is a clear indicator of a meth dependency then clearly that's a BS rumour, because Clarry has been struggling this season due to being overweight. And it's clear as day.

Secondly, if you are questioning our approach for Battle, does that mean you'd be against the concept of essentially cloning Jack Scrimshaw and his output, even though it's costing us ZERO at the trade table?
We're potentially getting a player with similar attributes in the prime of his career. NO BRAINER. Just pay the man. We can afford it.
Exactly, and I can’t find anything on Oliver being on meth anywhere, sounds like a baseless rumour!

Yeah I think it's done, they've convinced him to join them.

Please let us never ever see the words, "he was a Hawks supporter as a kid," written in these threads again*.

* unless of course he ends up here.
Smith hasn't said a thing. They are just trying extra hard and making more noise.

The hawks have not said a single thing.

I actually think the hawks have cooled a little and may have pulled back the $$ a bit given Worpel is having a year better than Smith ever has.

Still think we'll get him but I want battle more now

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

If Battle is after over 750k he won’t be coming to Hawthorn. These contract numbers that get thrown around by the media and punters are usually way off the mark. Blokes like Ben McKay must laugh their asses off that people think he’s getting close to a mil a season. No one even knew who Battle was before this FA talk. 😂

If Battle is after over 750k he won’t be coming to Hawthorn. These contract numbers that get thrown around by the media and punters are usually way off the mark. Blokes like Ben McKay must laugh their asses off that people think he’s getting close to a mil a season. No one even knew who Battle was before this FA talk. 😂
These takes make me laugh…no one knew who player x was before he was a free agent

Just say you only watch Hawks games…he is a free agent meaning he’s been in the league for 8 years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No inside info! However Smith chose the Hawks last year, I’ll be surprised if he has changed his mind.

Daniher chose the Swans but * refused to deal. The following trade period he chose the Lions. It happens

I notice that there isn't a single person who questions paying Karl Amon $650k a year over 4 years now he's actually at Hawthorn and they've seem him play.

Paying extra cash for a free agent is like pick purchasing. You make room deliberately like we have and then pay extra for not having to pay the first round pick required. If pick purchasing was available we would do that, pay cap space to another side for an extra first rounder so why not use the same strategy with a key position target we want and need while keeping R1 selection to trade or draft as we need? Especially since we have this huge cap created for exactly this reason and pick purchasing seems a while off.

Last edited:
Paying extra cash for a free agent is like pick purchasing. You make room deliberately like we have and then pay extra for not having to pay the first round pick required. If pick purchasing was available we would do that, pay cap space to another side for an extra first rounder so why not use the same strategy with a key position target we want and need while keeping R1 selection to trade or draft as we need. Especially since we have this huge cap created for exactly this reason and pick purchasing seems a while off.
That's a fair way of putting it.
Just feels a bit off not knowing the amount and terms, whereas a pick purchase would be done in public and we can assess the value.

Will be 25 before the year is done.

He’s drastically running out of time to ever get fit enough.

If he came for next to nothing he’d be worth a look. Can’t see lions giving him up for that though.
He wouldn’t be first on my list to chase, but new environment who knows. Definitely has the ability and we do lack that mid forward game breaker. It’s why I’m keen on Lalor this year.

Thinking about how to get suns early picks. Couldn’t see how to get 6/7/8 without players involved and good ones at that. Possible to convert 6,27 plus some futures into 7/8 so essentially upgrade 27 to 8. Suns need future matching picks so likely to depend on using pick 6 to slide or trade out entirely and acquire multiple f2s.

I would be very surprised if Baz does not come to our club unless he wants to get out of Melbourne.
So many players in recent years have left to go to the club they supported as a child.
Scrimshaw, B.McKay, Coffield, Z.Jones, J.Higgins and Ginnivan.

I’m not a fan of trading our future first. Look at how that has turned out for the Pies with the Schulz trade.
Looking at the depth in the draft I think we need to split our first pick in 2024.

Pick 7-10 and our 2nd round pick to Syd.
We get Sydney’s 2024 and 2025 first round picks. We end up with pick 17-18 and a future first.

We can on trade Sydney’s future first for Baz.

Exactly, and I can’t find anything on Oliver being on meth anywhere, sounds like a baseless rumour!
It was the biggest open secret going round in footy last year. Not sure where he’s at with it moment, obviously hoped he’s kicked it, though clearly he’s not in great shape.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back