Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Compare the top 10 from last year.
Which of this year's top 10 would break in ahead of those players based on what we knew about them last season.
It’s an arbitrary game but I will play. Of top 10 Duursma and sanders have been in and out, Curtin read caddy have hardly played.
I would rate ashcroft smith trainor lalor Draper and maybe osullivan (not done well returning from injury but will be elite) ahead of those.
You said yourself you are waiting for highlights that’s not much to genuinely assess the draft crop.

It's the most even top 30 they've seen. No one is trading up. No point.
A guy you pick at 30 could easily be as good as the kid at 5.

Another incentive to beat Collingwood this weekend and improve our second round pick. We are very fortunate to have a first and second round after the haul we brought in last year, and the news we are likely to land Battle. Even more fortunate it seems a very even draft and those picks could be just as valuable as the earlier selections if we use them well.

Luke Bruest interviewed on SEN last night said he would like to go on another year.

Enjoying the coaching side from the bench.

Body has let him down this year.

But feels he has another year in him.

After all our champions were shunted out the door I just couldn't see how Sam would do the same with Punky.

Has so many tricks to his game.

Expectations on Hawks in 2025 will be very high.

The young players will need a calm head around them.

Luke Bruest interviewed on SEN last night said he would like to go on another year.

After all our champions were shunted out the door I just couldn't see how Sam would do the same with Punky.

I agree and if you look at the depth chart of different positions for players outside a hypothetical 23 for next year:

Defenders: Blanck, McCabe, Serong, Ryan, DBG, + Battle coming next year
Midfielders: Ward, Morrison, Hustwaite, Finn,
Rucks: Ramsden, Reeves, Tucker
Forwards: .... Butler ( returning from broken leg), Wingard (body seems shot the poor guy), O'Sullivan, Bennetts (both have some promise but unsure if will ever get to AFL level)

Seems with Lewis out our forward depth is really thin compared to other areas of the ground, so can see us keeping Breust for a year, and evening delisting and putting Gunston on the rookie list, just to give us something if and when injuries occur. Although hoping Ramsden can be a forward/ruck option more often next year for us as well. McCabe could even be a smoky to play forward at times as well.

Is he making it known to the broader afl community that he is available for a prime coaching/playing gig next year? List spots are getting tighter for us.
Hypothetically speaking, can you place a player on the LTI list and not have them eligible to play (for the season) and fill that list spot with another player? Might it be a way of retaining a ‘coach’ without taking up a list spot? Or is that just dumb?

Rob McCartney on SEN tonight, was asked about our offseason player targets but understandably refused to divulge.

Adam White made a joke referencing Battle and then Gerard Healy made one referencing Marshall (Assuming Rowan given Todd just signed long term with Port).

I wonder if there’s anything to the Marshall reference as I could see the interest for us. His skillset and style as a player far more closely resembles Meek than Reeves does.

Which is good for consistency within the midfield. Marshall is good around the ground and able to play forward which gives us the option to play two rucks. Something Sam has said previously he’d like to be able to do.

Presumably we wouldn’t be able to keep Reeves in that scenario and Saints would need a ruck. So maybe we ensure Battle gets them pick 5 as compo and then there’s a trade of rucks.
Doesn’t make much sense for us to target Marshall, especially to tie up that much cap space on him. We want a second ruck to be a quasi forward, like Ramma.
That is Healy just proving to be as clueless as ever, imo.

Reeves however is of interest to the Saints, and I’m sure he’d like the idea of more game time.

I agree and if you look at the depth chart of different positions for players outside a hypothetical 23 for next year:

Defenders: Blanck, McCabe, Serong, Ryan, DBG, + Battle coming next year
Midfielders: Ward, Morrison, Hustwaite, Finn,
Rucks: Ramsden, Reeves, Tucker
Forwards: .... Butler ( returning from broken leg), Wingard (body seems shot the poor guy), O'Sullivan, Bennetts (both have some promise but unsure if will ever get to AFL level)

Seems with Lewis out our forward depth is really thin compared to other areas of the ground, so can see us keeping Breust for a year, and evening delisting and putting Gunston on the rookie list, just to give us something if and when injuries occur. Although hoping Ramsden can be a forward/ruck option more often next year for us as well. McCabe could even be a smoky to play forward at times as well.
We have Scaife also waiting the wings

I think we will rookie him.

Doesn’t make much sense for us to target Marshall, especially to tie up that much cap space on him. We want a second ruck to be a quasi forward, like Ramma.
That is Healy just proving to be as clueless as ever, imo.

Reeves however is of interest to the Saints, and I’m sure he’d like the idea of more game time.
I do like the idea of an exchange of rucks. Marshall can/does play forward.
I doubt the Saints are going to trade nearly their best and consistent player though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do like the idea of an exchange of rucks. Marshall can/does play forward.
I doubt the Saints are going to trade nearly their best and consistent player though.
Makes no sense for us when you consider what it would take.

Cost would be high, Marshall would deserve first ruck based on output and not sure Hawks would offer that so why would he request a trade away from a team who have salary cap to burn and where he has that role already?

Marshall is like Meek but gets more of the ball, and he doesn't use the ball particularly well. I like the balance we have.

Chasing Marshall would just be tying effort and resources up in the wrong place.

Especially when we have Max Ramsden developing as a forward/ruck hybrid already.
It will be a big year for Max in 2025. He carries a lot of hope but he will need to break through the potential sphere and actually show a lot more at the senior level if he is to have a future in the AFL. That starts with firstly showing that he is consistently above VFL level.

Especially when we have Max Ramsden developing as a forward/ruck hybrid already.
I know the plan is for Ramsden to be mostly forward as mentioned by him in numerous interviews and being the only real way he can get in the side unless he pushes past Meek and Reeves who should be in their prime. But I feel his best games at Box Hill have been when he's had to play ruck all game. Similar to Luke Jackson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back