Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

All of a sudden we're 'forcing Serong to stay' against his will???

I'll wait until I hear Serong come out in the media wanting out before I start concocting trade scenarios based on supporting his welfare...

This started with people mentioning he’s likely leaving, with saints the destination. How is replying to that in a hypothetical trade thread with hypothetical trades ‘concocting trade scenarios’?

He may be happy to stay for the final year of his contract, having been selected 4 times this year whilst 2 (3 if McCabe gets a run at it) spots higher in the pecking order.

We need list space, can’t just keep everyone and bring in others.

This started with people mentioning he’s likely leaving, with saints the destination. How is replying to that in a hypothetical trade thread with hypothetical trades ‘concocting trade scenarios’?
Nice selective quoting..

"concocting trade scenarios based on supporting his welfare..."

In response to the idea, stated nowhere, that he wants out and we would be "forcing him to stay" against his will.

Because he’s a person not a commodity, and I’m very proud to support a club that’s treats players as such - it’s worked decently for us.

Forcing players to stay is good for literally nobody involved. He’d be hoping 3 of Sis, Weddle, Battle, and Scrimshaw were out to get a game and that’s banking on McCabe not overtaking him in the pecking order.

If he wants to leave, we’ll let him go for far less than some expect. Pick 43 might just be it.
Hardwick - Barrass - Impey Sicily - Battle - Scrim

CJ plays wing already, Amon can rotate wing/half back, and Weddle can play anywhere. McCabe probably mixes in there soon enough too.

Frost, Blanck, and Serong are depth, Phillips and DGB are unlikely to last on our list. Mitchell, MacDonald, and Ryan small depth.

Good teams have good depth. It’s a good thing.

It's a somewhat confusing reply as his role has never been threatened before by the sudden arrival of two high profile KPDs. If we get Barrass, how do you envisage he fits in our back 6?
The post tells you how I envisage him fitting into our back 6. We'll move other players into different roles.

The post tells you how I envisage him fitting into our back 6. We'll move other players into different roles.
Weddle and Sicily definitely, but defence will remain their homerange, so reckon Frost wont be in our best 22 – which has potential to derail a well oiled machine

Last edited:
Frost has been, and I think will continue to be, integral to our quest.
Unfortunately for Frost, better personal has potentially arrived. Personally, I see him as a back up.
Barass's roll will be the monster forward. You then have Battle , potentially taking the 2nd best forward, having the ability to intercept and rebound, Scrimshaw taking the third, same as Battle, Hardwick in the lock down back pocket roll All of Weedle Sicily CJ Amon Ambrossio Impey rotating through the final spots.....just don't see a spot for Frost at the expense of our greatest strength, speed in transition.

Last edited:
Weddle and Sicily definitely, but defence will remain their homerange, so reckon Frost wont be in our best 22 – which has potential to derail a well oiled machine
Frost is turning 32 next year. As great as he’s been, he won’t be around forever and we are making list management decisions for the next 3-5 years.

That been said, Sam has said publicly this past week that he envisages Frost will still be in the side with those guys coming.

Injury runs like ours this year are not the norm. Whilst we lost Lewis and Blanck, usually you have a number of smaller 1-3 week injuries or suspensions that test the depth of your squad.

Best 22s are all well and good, but if (touch wood) we get a bad patch of injury, having some depth to fall back on is a good thing.

The team are all big boys and know that form, opportunity and a bit of luck always play a part in selection.

Mercy Seat has already said what I was going to say above. Mitchell has already said he will be in our best team next year, he will continue to be in our best team until form holds him out. That's how it should be and I think Frost is okay with that.

Dont understand the Frost talk.

He has never been big enough to play on a big key forward. His strength is his speed and the fact he can play on small and midsized forwards beating them with his speed and size (very much like Stratton used to do in the threepeat)

Barrass full back. Plays on the no 1 key forward. Frost will take no 2. Battle and Scrim the flanks impey and sic and hardwick and Weddle for rebound and playing on smaller forwards - all three capable of playing forward as well.

And that will be the real win here. The era of the key forward who kicks 5 every week is gone. This year we have 8 players who have kicked 20 or more goals. So sic/weddle/hardwick/impey swapping into half forward role makes our already unpredictable forward line even more unpredictable.

Also means weddle and sic in particular can spend time in the middle where their exquisite ball use can be even more of a weapon.

This year is about this year - the development has taken us to finals and we are in the game.

The Barrass/Battle signings are about dynasty building

Good times

Tom Morris on SEN this morning has said Bailey Smith and his manager are happy to sit down with anyone willing to offer a six year deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Morris on SEN this morning has said Bailey Smith and his manager are happy to sit down with anyone willing to offer a six year deal.
Did he say anything about mysterious parcels of land going dirt cheap, that might be required?

Dont understand the Frost talk.

He has never been big enough to play on a big key forward. His strength is his speed and the fact he can play on small and midsized forwards beating them with his speed and size (very much like Stratton used to do in the threepeat)

Barrass full back. Plays on the no 1 key forward. Frost will take no 2. Battle and Scrim the flanks impey and sic and hardwick and Weddle for rebound and playing on smaller forwards - all three capable of playing forward as well.

And that will be the real win here. The era of the key forward who kicks 5 every week is gone. This year we have 8 players who have kicked 20 or more goals. So sic/weddle/hardwick/impey swapping into half forward role makes our already unpredictable forward line even more unpredictable.

Also means weddle and sic in particular can spend time in the middle where their exquisite ball use can be even more of a weapon.

This year is about this year - the development has taken us to finals and we are in the game.

The Barrass/Battle signings are about dynasty building

Good times
Agreed that frost plays a lot smaller. Could play a lockdown on medium/smaller sized forwards eg cody weightman

My read on all this Smith stuff is that he isnt that keen on Geelong. He is a city boy who grew up obsessed with Hawthorn remember

Hawthorn and the Pies have cooled on him and so the lazy media have just made assumptions that it only leaves Geelong and because they are desperate for him, its just fits.

When the hawks said recently they are officially after Barrass and it was mutual, you would naturally expect that it would strengthen the Cats chances even more, but instead there is scuttle about GC and now this.

I still hope we find a way, but Im not so sure Geelong is the leading option

I dont think Frost is the one at risk when we get B1 and B2. His leadership, skill set and character makes him a perfect player to keep around. He could provide invaluable help developing the likes of McCabe, Serong and Ryan. He can slot in easily if injuries occur. A Gunston/Bruest for the backline

Blank and Phillips are the ones I can see that might struggle.

Barass, Battle, Scrimshaw, Weddle and Sicily is an incredible set of tall defenders. 3 are excellent forwards, 1 can play freaking everywhere and all 5 are in the top 15 key defenders for this year. Its no knock on Frosty that he gets squeezed out of that group.

I didn't hear it so don't have context, but that sounds pretty desperate, to me.

My read on all this Smith stuff is that he isnt that keen on Geelong. He is a city boy who grew up obsessed with Hawthorn remember

Hawthorn and the Pies have cooled on him and so the lazy media have just made assumptions that it only leaves Geelong and because they are desperate for him, its just fits.

When the hawks said recently they are officially after Barrass and it was mutual, you would naturally expect that it would strengthen the Cats chances even more, but instead there is scuttle about GC and now this.

I still hope we find a way, but Im not so sure Geelong is the leading option
Geelong are very confident they have him, so I'm not sure about that.

I reckon this is just Smith's mgmt trying to squeeze a few extra dollars out of the Cats.

If he's saying that, he clearly isn't done to Geelong, like everyone has reported.

Geelong are very confident they have him, so I'm not sure about that.

I reckon this is just Smith's mgmt trying to squeeze a few extra dollars out of the Cats.
Geelong are confident, but not from a perspective of "we have wooed him"

Its because the think that other clubs have backed off

Very much a, "we think we are the only ones in"

I can't help but wonder, as Battle has been described as being able to play at both ends and with Lewis likely out for the majority of the year, does Battle slot into our forward line rather than playing as a back? Would help to address the relatively threadbare KPF whilst also not trying to cause a relatively significant shake up of our defence.

Geelong are confident, but not from a perspective of "we have wooed him"

Its because the think that other clubs have backed off

Very much a, "we think we are the only ones in"
Don’t think so. Cats believe they were far down the line with him because he’d indicated as such.

That’s not to say they haven’t hit a snag though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back