Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Any players from the eagles that we may want them to throw in to the Barrass deal coming back?
Eg Coby burgiel is from Gippsland and went pick 29 two years ago hasn’t done much due to injury. But had express pace and good skills as a junior.

His Dad, Hayden was on our list in 1997,1998 but didn't play a single game.

Any players from the eagles that we may want them to throw in to the Barrass deal coming back?
Eg Coby burgiel is from Gippsland and went pick 29 two years ago hasn’t done much due to injury. But had express pace and good skills as a junior.
Would just be another list spot needing to be cleared. If it’s someone they are “throwing in” they probably keep the person in the list spot

Now that the Cats are done, does Bailey Smith come out and choose the Hawks :cool:

Would be funny if he did.

Take away Heeney, Mills, Blakey and Gulden and they are a middle of the road team.
And Campbell too who was great in their qualifying final. Without those 5 they don't finish top, would probably be very lucky to make finals and no way in hell are they winning one.

It's not just that they have the priority access the rules let them double dip. They got macdonald the pick before us, we picked campbell and they got him for just picks and we got DGB. That was in what hindsight has shown to be a weak draft.

Since Longmire began they’ve won 64% of their games, made finals in 12 out of 14 seasons and made the grand final 5 times.

That’s about as successful as every other club (including us and Geelong) in the past 14 seasons.

They simply haven’t won the final game as often as Hawthorn and Geelong in that time.

People here are suggesting Sydney’s success (which hasn’t been in issue until your……odd post) was due to COLA and Academy “privilege”.

I’m pointing out that they are getting great output from players who were overlooked by all clubs in numerous rounds of the draft.

These weren’t “risky” picks. They were prudent picks.

They haven’t been gifted their playing list or their results.

To suggest otherwise is sour grapes
I don't think the majority are arguing that Sydney haven't drafted well. What most of us are saying is that once they've been able to nail down the core group of academy players which are no doubt gun players then the list manager + scouting department have then been able to then round out the team with rookie selections to play roles.

You can try to spin it anyway you like it but having priority access gives them and the other clubs that have academies (Brisbane, GWS + Gold Coast) the ability to take risks. This is evident when you look at how many first round draft picks teams like GWS + Gold Coast have got wrong over the years but have still been able to remain competitive whereas if other clubs made the same errors they would feel it for years.

As mentioned in one of my prior posts once the HFC were able to draft their core Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Buddy + Roughie then we too were able to hit utilise the rookie draft or trade for castoffs for role players to round out the team. Once this is done you usually start to get a quality FA or 2 nominate you which pushes the team to then become perennial contenders.

The difference between how we did it and the academy teams mentioned above is that we did it without priority access to a core group of kids.

So to sum it up, they have won 2 Premierships in over 90 years. 👍

As I already said, that’s astonishingly unsuccessful.
🤦

Don’t bother reading the fact I said it’s the past 12 years where they’ve been successful.

Unless you think our season just gone, where we finished 6th, was unsuccessful?

Is that your position?

If so, then Sydney have failed and those players being in their Academy is completely irrelevant. 🤣

No club could be considered successful unless they win the flag?

And Campbell too who was great in their qualifying final. Without those 5 they don't finish top, would probably be very lucky to make finals and no way in hell are they winning one.

It's not just that they have the priority access the rules let them double dip
. They got macdonald the pick before us, we picked campbell and they got him for just picks and we got DGB. That was in what hindsight has shown to be a weak draft.
I really don't know why this is so hard to understand 😂

Most of those rookie players I’ve mentioned arrived at the club well before Gulden, Campbell, Warner, etc. and to a lesser extent Blakey.

Heeney & Mills are the only Academy “veterans” who have been around for a decade.

So how were the recruiters to know they were worth taking these “risky” rookie picks in 2012 - 2017 when the majority of their Academy players weren’t available until years later afterwards?

Pretty sure Cox played a part in our preseason ansett cup win

Sorry Cap, The poster said we should get Coby Burgiel which is the son of former Hawk Hayden Burgiel who was on the list in 1997,1998. He also went off to the US to try out as a Punter from memory, after he was delisted by us, Hayden's younger brother was also on the Richmond rookie list Adrian.

Adrian Cox did play in the Night pre season cup win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oscar Allen be handy.

The list needs direct hits with player trades. We will need to save the darts for the draft.

🤦

Don’t bother reading the fact I said it’s the past 12 years where they’ve been successful.

Is that your position?

If so, then Sydney have failed and those players being in their Academy is completely irrelevant. 🤣

Ok since you specifically want to talk about this level of success they have had in this 12 year period.

Let’s examine this success……. 1 Premiership …… yes 1 Premiership, hell even the MFC and the WB managed to do that.

Also if you can’t recognise the advantages they have been given over some other clubs, then I am afraid I can’t help you.

Last edited:
Most of those rookie players I’ve mentioned arrived at the club well before Gulden, Campbell, Warner, etc. and to a lesser extent Blakey.

Heeney & Mills are the only Academy “veterans” who have been around for a decade.

So how were the recruiters to know they were worth taking these “risky” rookie picks in 2012 - 2017 when the majority of their Academy players weren’t available until years later afterwards?

Rampe and Lloyd are the only 2 that came prior to their big 4 of Heeney, Mills, Gulden + Blakey. Just a quick glance at the Swans preliminary final team shows that it contains 5 academy players not including Mills who was injured. As kazzooka mentioned above they were allowed to double dip when they selected McDonald just before us then take Campbell as an academy selection. They were also allowed to bandy together multiple picks take Blakey as their academy selection and then were still able to select Rowbottom early in the 2nd round which correct me if I'm wrong was the reason for the rule change that ended teams being able to uses so many picks to match these bids.

There's no doubting how they have great they picked in the rookie draft but if they miss out on any one of Heeney, Mills, Gulden + Blakey and then weren't allowed to bandy together picks to then go and double dip then it definitely has a domino effect in other ares of assembling their list.

Pink – Academy selections
Green- Rookie selections
Blue – Double dip selections
Screenshot 2024-09-22 at 5.24.23 pm.png

🤦

Is that your position?

Yes ultimately, in 10 years no will remember where we finished.

Dude I never mentioned anything about our season or anyone else’s.

I was just responding to your rubbish about them being successful.

2 Premierships in over 90 years which is St.Kilda level of success, while you bang in about how successful there are I give you a solid gold FACT that indeed they have been woefully unsuccessful.

Feel free to praise them all you want, but you can’t dispute FACTS.
I simply said the 14 seasons under Longmire - they have been as successful as any other club. That’s when the Academy rules began to develop. That was my focus.

I didn’t say anything about 1899 - 2010.

Why you choose to throw in (irrelevant) the South Melbourne FC era is a matter for you. 👍

Anyhow, no point arguing from totally different perspectives.

Can someone please change the thread title from
2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread
To
Sydney’s List Management Thread

Ffs. Can we stop and get back to trading Lewis Breust Ward please?
Hahaha. Breust to GWS for a first still a goer?
Feels like it might be a quiet month for us, bar the Barrass trade and Battle signing.

I simply said the 14 seasons under Longmire - they have been as successful as any other club. That’s when the Academy rules began to develop. That was my focus.

I didn’t say anything about 1899 - 2010.

Why you choose to throw in (irrelevant) the South Melbourne FC era is a matter for you. 👍

Anyhow, no point arguing from totally different perspectives.
Ok let’s look at those 14 years under Longmire.
We won 3 Premierships and Richmond won 3 Premierships in this period, surely you are not even remotely saying they have been as successful as that?

I say in those 14 years under Longmire they have been as successful as Collingwood, Melbourne, WB and Geelong in winning one Premiership.
So if you want to bang on about how successful they have been in this 14 year period (While enjoying obvious advantages) then knock yourself out.

Its a cool story about Longmires 14 years of success and that statement of yours.

“They have been as successful as anyone in that time” ……….. is utter rubbish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back