Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for that. I haven't been following this closely enough (nor have I watched the entire speech but he comes across very well) but I'm curious when he says that he loves the boys at West Coast but loves his two sons more so the implication is that he's requested the trade for family reasons. Isn't he WA born and bred and he had 3 remaining years on his contract? What am I missing?

I think he’s referring to the security he’s been offered by Hawks..
A fourth year with a trigger for a fifth, which West Coast weren’t prepared to offer was my take..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thanks for that. I haven't been following this closely enough (nor have I watched the entire speech but he comes across very well) but I'm curious when he says that he loves the boys at West Coast but loves his two sons more so the implication is that he's requested the trade for family reasons. Isn't he WA born and bred and he had 3 remaining years on his contract? What am I missing?
His father recently passed away. He is very close with his siblings and his brother and sister have moved to Melbourne. His sister was living in Sydney last year when the Barrass to Swans option was explored. The strong contract Hawthorn have offered will of course also play a part.

drive person GIF

Who said $1.75m per season?
Easy mistake but you could've worded it better.

Saying "Lukosius contract is back ended and he's owed around $1.75m over the 2025 & 2026 seasons" can easily be interpreted as 3.5mill in total owing. Would've been better saying 1.75mil per season owing over the 2025 + 2026 seasons.

Last edited:
His father recently passed away. He is very close with his siblings and his brother and sister have moved to Melbourne. His sister was living in Sydney last year when the Barrass to Swans option was explored. The strong contract Hawthorn have offered will of course also play a part.
Ah, okay, makes sense! Thanks for the extra detail. Fantastic player, seems like a great guy. The trade will hopefully work out well for all parties.

St Kilda could be set to receive a band two compensation pick for losing Josh Battle to Hawthorn via free agency.
The Saints have been hoping for band one compensation, which would come after their first pick in this year’s draft (pick No. 8), but Nine’s Tom Morris thinks it’s a real possibility that they’ll instead receive an end-of-first round selection which will be pushed out beyond pick No. 21 once Academy and father-son bids come in.
Morris says that there’s every chance the compensation is band two due to the money that Battle has signed for at Hawthorn, which isn’t on average above $900,000 a year - a number many think is necessary to trigger band one compensation.

Its not 1.75m a season

Its over 2 years
true.. if Hawks are taking that salary on, will need a late first atleast and smooth it over to 3 seasons for 2m total with trigger for 4rth at the same 670K avg.
Luko has all the talent & is impressive when on, upto list management to see if he will grow further under Sam.

Morris says that there’s every chance the compensation is band two due to the money that Battle has signed for at Hawthorn, which isn’t on average above $900,000 a year - a number many think is necessary to trigger band one compensation.
Lot of these is play on words. His HFC contract offer is over 6 yrs so avg is likely under 900k, but Compo is calculated for max period of 5 yrs. IMO, if Saints are willing to play ball, then we should structure contract to avg over 900k for 5 yrs. Trade for Sam Butler for a start.

Battle has signed for at Hawthorn, which isn’t on average above $900,000 a year - a number many think is necessary to trigger band one compensation.
Frawley didn't get that much. Neither is McKay (norf).

It's silly thinking there's an actual schedule or formula that generates a specific band of pick(s). It's whatever suits that AFL's agenda at the time, sprinkled with luck.

true.. if Hawks are taking that salary on, will need a late first atleast and smooth it over to 3 seasons for 2m total with trigger for 4rth at the same 670K avg.
Luko has all the talent & is impressive when on, upto list management to see if he will grow further under Sam.

Lot of these is play on words. His HFC contract offer is over 6 yrs so avg is likely under 900k, but Compo is calculated for max period of 5 yrs. IMO, if Saints are willing to play ball, then we should structure contract to avg over 900k for 5 yrs. Trade for Sam Butler for a start.
I assume you're saying by us doing this (structure the contract so they get Band 1 comp) in which they then trade for Butler for something like a 2nd rounder? If so then the AFL will be all over that and both clubs will get done for tampering.

I assume you're saying by us doing this (structure the contract so they get Band 1 comp) in which they then trade for Butler for something like a 2nd rounder? If so then the AFL will be all over that and both clubs will get done for tampering.
You'd need to convolute it.

2024 3rd with a swap of F2s & we pay his 1st year of Salary etc.

Hard to argue with that. Especially with them needing small forwards & his brother already being there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Massive no on JUH. Huge fig jam who rarely backs it up, shit work rate. Would get found out big time in the Hawks set up I reckon. Could be anything but he never will be. The comparisons a few years ago to Buddy are offensive to the Budwa.
He will likely be a 60 goal forward but I'd take Mitch Lewis over him any day.

If you think about it , it's not a surprise that the Dogs would like to get a high value trade for JUH

• Naughton on a long term contract who can play forward/back
  • Darcy looks an absolute star and game changer
  • JUH is probably the least safe bet of the 3 , especially if the off field stuff has wheels .

Most teams are going for versatile forwardlines .
Dogs need a mid to help Bont so the excess tall forward can be used to get that .

I think if a club can provide a high quality mid in their prime or coming in too it, with a high pick I think they would do it .

If you think about it , it's not a surprise that the Dogs would like to get a high value trade for JUH

• Naughton on a long term contract who can play forward/back
  • Darcy looks an absolute star and game changer
  • JUH is probably the least safe bet of the 3 , especially if the off field stuff has wheels .

Most teams are going for versatile forwardlines .
Dogs need a mid to help Bont so the excess tall forward can be used to get that .

I think if a club can provide a high quality mid in their prime or coming in too it, with a high pick I think they would do it .
Sounds like a dogs and demons conversation to be had.

St Kilda could be set to receive a band two compensation pick for losing Josh Battle to Hawthorn via free agency.
The Saints have been hoping for band one compensation, which would come after their first pick in this year’s draft (pick No. 8), but Nine’s Tom Morris thinks it’s a real possibility that they’ll instead receive an end-of-first round selection which will be pushed out beyond pick No. 21 once Academy and father-son bids come in.
not that it’s ever needed, but this is a timely reminder of how much it would absolutely suck to be a saints fan. What an absolute joke of an organisation

Easy mistake but you could've worded it better.

Saying "Lukosius contract is back ended and he's owed around $1.75m over the 2025 & 2026 seasons" can easily be interpreted as 3.5mill in total owing. Would've been better saying 1.75mil per season owing over the 2025 + 2026 seasons.

Surely he would still get to SA with that salary seeing the TTP have gone up, if they do chuck a first rounder in to take the salary on watch Geelong come to the party, seeing Hawkins and Tuohy have both retired.

Frawley didn't get that much. Neither is McKay (norf).

It's silly thinking there's an actual schedule or formula that generates a specific band of pick(s). It's whatever suits that AFL's agenda at the time, sprinkled with luck.
There’s no doubt the AFL like to fudge close results in the direction they most like.

The caps also gone up significantly and will continue to go up. From what we know of McKay’s contract it wouldn’t get band 1 this year.

There’s no doubt the AFL like to fudge close results in the direction they most like.

The caps also gone up significantly and will continue to go up. From what we know of McKay’s contract it wouldn’t get band 1 this year.

Yep, McKay only was Band 1 as his 2024 and beyond salary was compared to player wages in 2013 where $800k would have been in top 5% of wages.

Obviously the dons had set the wage knowing the cap jumped 15% this year so was a bit of a loophole.

You need to add the laughing emoji when you make such hilarious statements like that! The AFL enforcing due diligence, what a cracker!!!
Seriously the system is so easily to manipulate it would be a total walk in the park and the AFL have brought it on themselves with their convoluted system. More clubs should be doing it in part just to teach them a lesson for interfering in things they don’t understand.

Just hear me out! A stop gap style 1 year contract offer to Tom Hawkins to fill the role until Lewis is back and ready.

At the same time we get payback over those bloody cats for stealing Isaac Smith. We also get Hawk Hawkins!

Just hear me out! A stop gap style 1 year contract offer to Tom Hawkins to fill the role until Lewis is back and ready.

At the same time we get payback over those bloody cats for stealing Isaac Smith. We also get Hawk Hawkins!

IMG_0158.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back