List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I get where you're coming from but our father/son Tyler Welsh was looking like a top 10 kid last year, now he's projected 50+ and running 2km at the combine slower than me.
Sounds like a good tanker

I get where you're coming from but our father/son Tyler Welsh was looking like a top 10 kid last year, now he's projected 50+ and running 2km at the combine slower than me.

Its a bit shortsighted really. Young Crows / Port listed players seldom star at Sanfl level because they are required to work on areas of their game to prepare them for AFL. Thats what Welsh would have been doing. It would have taken him away from his natural game so his performances may not have stood out. As for the combine, the club would have sent him to just experience it and enjoy this time. I dont think the club would care at all what his combine stats are. They would have everything on record. Welsh doesnt have interest nor do we in him running 6m 2km, 1 metre verticle jumps and kicking 60m drop punts with not trying. No point impressing anyone. I could not care less if he did the bare minimum at the combine.

What is funny, is some crows fans wanting him to impress like they want us to have to give up pick 4 for him.

Jones more a development issue I think

Gallucci and particularly McAsey also duds yes, but reckon Ned in hindsight was the one who showed the least genuine AFL traits as a junior, out of our top picks
Don't agree about McHenry.

At the time, he seemed to have very similar
traits to a lot of the chaotic pressure smalls that Richmond were winning with. The thing is - they didn't use firsts on them, and Ned didn't end up being that good.

McHenry was an awful pick... Hamish panicked after we got rolled by a ferocious pressure Richmond in 2017 and thought Ned was going to be an elite quick pressure forward. He reached massively.
Yeah, he reached. I get why, especially considering the quality of the draft fell off massively, but trading out was probably the better option, or combining picks to move up.

GCS have had a fair few picks as well.

There are no guarantees. Chances are half won't make it.
Think those chances are halved with the depth of this years first round in particular.
Best year in a while to do it imo. Next years first and able to trade futures for 2 years
gives them plenty of flexibility.

Its a bit shortsighted really. Young Crows / Port listed players seldom star at Sanfl level because they are required to work on areas of their game to prepare them for AFL. Thats what Welsh would have been doing. It would have taken him away from his natural game so his performances may not have stood out. As for the combine, the club would have sent him to just experience it and enjoy this time. I dont think the club would care at all what his combine stats are. They would have everything on record. Welsh doesnt have interest nor do we in him running 6m 2km, 1 metre verticle jumps and kicking 60m drop punts with not trying. No point impressing anyone. I could not care less if he did the bare minimum at the combine.

What is funny, is some crows fans wanting him to impress like they want us to have to give up pick 4 for him.

I was just highlighting that you can't assume who will be at the pointy end next year because two years in a row now we've had Moir and Welsh projected top 10 and both have fallen away dramatically.

Adelaide has completed a pick swap with Melbourne which bolsters the Club's 2025 draft hand.

The Crows receive Melbourne's 2025 third round selection in exchange for Pick 46 this year.

Adelaide currently holds Pick 4, 64 and 82 in this year's Telstra AFL Draft.

Adelaide has completed a pick swap with Melbourne which bolsters the Club's 2025 draft hand.

The Crows receive Melbourne's 2025 third round selection in exchange for Pick 46 this year.

Adelaide currently holds Pick 4, 64 and 82 in this year's Telstra AFL Draft.
That 2025 pick with the new points structure we get won't be worth many points if Melbourne finish at the pointy end, we'll be hoping they fall massively on the ladder

That 2025 pick with the new points structure we get won't be worth many points if Melbourne finish at the pointy end, we'll be hoping they fall massively on the ladder
I think it was more about 3 things:
  • Thinking that any Welsh bid will be very late, so 64 & 82 should be sufficient to provide the points needed to match.
  • Moving our pick from the 2024 draft to the 2025 draft, given that we (apparently) don't need it this year.
  • Improving the options for getting the Peatling trade done.
** Pick 82 doesn't have any points value, but it would be expected to come in significantly, to the point where it would have points attached by the time the Welsh bid comes in.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back