List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Bond, but that's the exception rather than the norm

One of Reid's weaknesses
Is it a weakness though? Very few players are given 12-month contracts at any club, unless they are veterans getting close to retirement, or players the club expects to delist the following year (but not this year). Reid is no different to every other list manager in that regard.

I'd be more concerned about his propensity for handing out lengthy contracts to players edging into their 30s - with the current Laird & Smith contracts being prime examples. Even then, the trend towards longer contracts is AFL-wide, and not just a Reid thing.

If we are using a half forward as our +1 at the contest, you'd actually expect that player to be a high inside 50/ goal assist player, not a goal kicker.

Now sure, Murphy isn't that either. So you should still be confused, just about something slightly different.

Watch ANB this year, it will make more sense. Unless we suddenly stop doing it now that we have the right cattle.
You are spot on imo, his pressure will be something else.
I know not everyone’s cup of tea but to put in context what we have got.
In CDSC ratings he is the 8th best raked fwd in the league , most of those points are from pressure acts !

IMG_1991.jpeg

Is it a weakness though? Very few players are given 12-month contracts at any club, unless they are veterans getting close to retirement, or players the club expects to delist the following year (but not this year). Reid is no different to every other list manager in that regard.

I'd be more concerned about his propensity for handing out lengthy contracts to players edging into their 30s - with the current Laird & Smith contracts being prime examples. Even then, the trend towards longer contracts is AFL-wide, and not just a Reid thing.
If we're being specific, I'd say the weakness is Reid giving players one more year than they should be getting, at least in some cases

You could say this for McHenry, Hamill, Himmelberg (2022), Jones, Schoenberg, Strachan (2023) and Borlase (2024). Other than Himmelberg and maybe Jones, no other club was realistically going to offer a competing deal. That's without going into the overly long deals for Smith and Laird

Other clubs, from what I can sense, are generally a bit more ruthless with their depth players, whether it be cutting their losses earlier if they've failed to impress, or giving out more 'prove it' contracts. I would prefer if we had a similar list strategy

Do we ever re-sign players for one year?
Bond, who’s probably the same level of depth as Berry is. I also think our reluctance to give one year contracts is why we don’t have players like Schoenberg, Burgess and Strachan OOC this year.

Those types of depth players should only be extended year-by-year and we failed that once again this year with Borlase and arguably Berry.

thats you going to the gym not some athlete in an ELITE sports program for last six seven years. he wont improve much if at all.

hes done, cooked, cortorized, pasteurised, finished
Cadel Evans won the tour de France at 34 years of age. Only took him 20 years of racing bikes to culminate in one glory year. Won the rainbow jersey (World Championship) about a year before this.

Power and strength belong to the young guys. Genuine elite stamina is hard earned over many years.

But... Strachanie is not the answer irrespective of anything outside of football.

Im finding now in my mid 40s I am fatiguing quicker and require a longer break between intense cycling sessions. So now I make sure I have a couple of recovery rides mixed with some moderate intensity as well. My goal is to change my whole body shape and thin down to remove how top heavy I am. All about hitting older age with a healthier and thinner body so I have less stress on my back and heart etc, while keeping fit and eating somewhat healthy. I figure cycling is one of the best activities due to the lack of stress on joints.
Cycling is awesome as long as you follow the one golden rule... "keep the rubber bits pointing down".

Admire the mature acknowledgement of later life realities. Neil Craig thoroughly approves 😋

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cycling is awesome as long as you follow the one golden rule... "keep the rubber bits pointing down".

Admire the mature acknowledgement of later life realities. Neil Craig thoroughly approves 😋

Well 40s is a time where some irreversible issues can occur if you dont look after yourself. So better to be preventative then live with regret.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back