List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there a genuine chance we don't take Welsh at all?
Doesn't seem like the club is overly impressed with him.
Well isn't that the club's fault for not having him more involved with DB and on health and fitness plan from the start of the season? We got the luxury of him playing in our two's and sit under our nose all year but it still felt like we were trying to hide him so we got him cheaper in the draft.

Well isn't that the club's fault for not having him more involved with DB and on health and fitness plan from the start of the season? We got the luxury of him playing in our two's and sit under our nose all year but it still felt like we were trying to hide him so we got him cheaper in the draft.
Not the clubs fault at all, not this time.

Bond, who’s probably the same level of depth as Berry is. I also think our reluctance to give one year contracts is why we don’t have players like Schoenberg, Burgess and Strachan OOC this year.

Those types of depth players should only be extended year-by-year and we failed that once again this year with Borlase and arguably Berry.
Ever thought they may want to stagger the departures, over 2-3 years, rather than having to recruit 10+ replacements in a single season?

The club only has so many draft resources (i.e. picks), and there's only so many players you can attract for free via Free Agency. We don't really want to be making picks in the 7th, 8th & 9th rounds of the draft, simply because we delisted too many players at the same time.

Is there a genuine chance we don't take Welsh at all?
Doesn't seem like the club is overly impressed with him.
I think there's four options:

1. We draft Welsh in the ND
2. We pick him as a rookie and upgrade Borlase or T. Murray (we need to make three picks and we'll use one of them to upgrade Keane)
3. Smith retires and focuses on playing, leading and mentoring in the SANFL, we trade up in the ND and pick Welsh as a rookie
4. We don't pick Welsh at all and trade up in the ND

#3 is the most desirable scenario, but #1 is the most likely.

You think we wouldn't have done that?

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They have to pay any difference between Port's 2025 salary and his Weagle 2025 salary, assuming the Weagles are paying him less than Port were.
So the only realistic way it could happen for us is if another team knows they’re going to pick our delisted player up

Which I’d imagine is very unlikely with most of our candidates

So the only realistic way it could happen for us is if another team knows they’re going to pick our delisted player up

It depends on how much room they still have in the 2024 salary cap, noting that most of this will have been spent already.

None of our likely delisting candidates would get picked up, so we'd end up having to pay out their whole 2025 salaries in our 2024 cap. If Clurey gets picked up by the Weagles, then Port are only liable for part of his 2025 salary, and it would be included under their 2025 salary cap. Two VERY different circumstances - everything changes if the delisted player finds a new home.

Sounds like Clurey knows he's getting picked up and asked to be delisted to me?

What position does he play ?
In that photo looks like he is pinging a screwie from full back albeit in training with the netting .
What are your early thoughts ?
Played back pocket/half back flank, did a lot of the kick ins for Gippy Power which is a bit of responsibilirty for an underager...looks to be putting on a bit of size as well might make it to close to 190cm by draft time next year.

Showed enough for me to get interested, also played some seniors for Heyfield as well which is good for a 16-17 year old.

Last edited:
Played back pocket/half back flank, disd a lot of the kick ins for Gippy Power which is a bit of responsibilirty for an underager...looks to be putting on a bit of size as well might make it to close to 190cm by draft time mext year.
So... a position where we're already well stocked. Still, he sounds a promising prospect.

So... a position where we're already well stocked. Still, he sounds a promising prospect.
Wouldn't place a whole lot of stock in where he played as an underager, obviously still growing so could possibly play in an altogether different role as a top ager. Midfield even!! :)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back